finding it hard to cope

Posted , 6 users are following.

Been on 7.5 mg nightly of Zopiclone for what must be getting on for 8 years now they help me get to sleep but i have very bad dreams and wake early always feeling crap, just seen that i am not the only one having a  hard time with it, tried cutting down but my mental state is made worse don't want to be taking anything, ................

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robin.  I have been taking the same dose of Zops for around 15 years now.  They always get me to sleep but i also wake early. I dont mind that too much as i feel that a few hours of sleep is better than none.  I think my body and mind has adjusted to that now.. I dont get any bad dreams, luckily.
    • Posted

Hi Vivien, thanks for your reply, didn't really think i would get one, do you get side effects like those mentioned by others, was a drug user for many years and gave it all up don't even smoke but have found zopiclone to be a different story, have recently started drinking to help with my sleeping but cos i have liver disease it is not only a bad idea but getting all kinds of abdominal pains as well so i am trying really hard not to but still feeling bad..............
    • Posted

Hi Robin. No, i dont get any side effects from just one a night. If i dont take a tablet, then i feel absolute crap. Tried giving them up and was put on Mirtazapine (an anti-depressant), but they didnt help at all. Got sick of lying awake al night listening to radio. Tried Phenergan and Melatonin tablets. All three combos did nothing,the only thing that puts me to sleep is Zopiclone and now it seems they are becoming more diffucult to obtain, legally and otherwise. Resorted to the internet to buy some but cant afford to do that all the time. I have just changed surgeries and saw a lovely doctor who gave me some but she has now left. Hoping to get a repeat tomorow.  Never used to be like this. Every month biting my nails wondering if this is the last of them.
  • Posted

Hey Robin. I also having been taking zopiclone for about seven to eight years on a 15mg dose. I do not get bad dreams but do wake feeling crap and I also find a lot of the time it puts me on a high after taking it in the evening. I have also wanted to get off it but like you every time I try to reduce it I get hallucinations and anxiety a lot worse. You could talk about it with your doctor and/or a counsellor to arrange a plan for it to be reduced by just a quarter of a tablet once every second or third night. That is what I was advised and will do so when I am on holiday for now I am too busy which is stressful which is not the right time. I also find it is important to eat healthily, drink lots of water, exercise - which tires me out so I sleep, and being kind to myself with things like having a favourite food every now and then or a treat. After having a rough night like you have been finding too I try to remind myself of happy times with friends and then I feel like getting up. Also after a rough night I know I am in a fragile state so cut down with my schedule and take the time to care for myself and do some nice things for myself pampering myself until I feel nurtured enough to get on with things again. That is great you have given up drugs (that takes a lot of strength and determination to get off them) and do not even smoke but I would advise definitely not to drink. It does not sound like it is doing you much good with your other medical condition. I find warm cups of milk and going for an hour long walk every day tires me out so I sleep most of the time and if I do not one night I catch up the next. Take care and keep posting. Hang in there you will get through this and you have all of our support.
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer, thanks for your reply, i used to be content with 7.5mg of the zopiclone i think i am used to that dose now and it is not doing much at all hence the not too clever choice of drinking with it which i know is purely to get more effect from them, gonna try see if my GP will increase my dose or i know i will end up visiting the oflicence which i really don't want to do, thanks for all the tips of what you try to do to help yourself and the kind words and your support. thankyou.......
  • Posted

Hey Robin. No worries glad I could help. It is your decision about increasing the zopiclone but because it is so strong I would advise if at all possible stay on the same dose. I am on two 7.5mg pills a night and really wish it was just one or none at all. Rescue Remedy losenges can be really good for sleep. But, if you really do get it increased make sure it is just short term. Mine was supposed to be too but I have such bad hallucinations and anxiety when it is reduced I cannot. It would not be nice for you to get that. It is your decision and I hope you make the right one. Take care and look after yourself - you deserve it. 
    • Posted

Thanks Jennifer what you say is right, upping my dose won't solve my problem only increase it, should have realised what was happening from my previous experiancs with drugs, sometimes i guess i just needed to have it spelt out to me, a big thankyou to you and all the other people who have contributed to this discussion..............
  • Posted

No worries Robin. Glad I could offer some useful advice. We all make mistakes and learn from them. Sounds like you have been through an awful ordeal with drugs and drinking that you are now keeping away from which is great! Other's contributions have been great haven't they? People are so supportive and helpful on this it is great and a strength of theirs too helping and supporting people. I am sure you have some strengths and skills and pampering things that could help you move forward during the day. Hope it works out. Take care - and give yourself a lot of credit for what you have endured with determination for it to improve.
    • Posted

Hi jennifer, I have gone a month now on 3.75mg zopiclone per night instead of 7.5 was a bit tricky to begin with and I'm still not feeling how or where I want to be but I am on course will stay on this dose till I feel able to half it again and then hopefully looking to stop it totaly. I have managed this so far without resorting to alchohol or Diazepam and I'm determined to see it through and hopfully start to resemble feeling like normal again, thankyou again for your support and advice and of cours from other members of this forum.......thankyou
  • Posted

Hi Robin ,

Use the Ashton plan to switch over to diazepam.. You can get help from CTIAp (http://www.citawithdrawal.org.uk/) and varous othe sites that help with crossover fro Zopiclone to Diazepam.

Basically a problem with Zopiclone is that it has a short half-life (the time it is active) of 4-6 hrs. So you start getting withdrawal symptoms then and crave another. It's almost impossible to reduce (I know I jave tried it). Diazepam has a much longer half life (up to 200 hrs) so it is easier to reduce it gradually over a period of time (this may be months... ). And it has lot less nasty side effects the zopiclone.

Zopiclone shoudl be banned, periiod.

• Posted

Hi Keith, I am nearly out of the woods now (so to speak) a few more days on 2 mg a night and i will stop altogether, my reduction course has taken me two months ( have been on 7.5mg for about eight years) and has been going well feeling a bit better every week so can't wait to be off completely, i am looking forward to posting this very soon, but you are right this stuff is no good at all in the long term. regards Robin
  • Posted

brief history had mild heart attack 3weeks after wife told she had cancer died christmas eve 2014 at 58 yes started on 7.5mg still on them heart doc said ok as you having such torried time not worried he said as you have got so much stress and worry on if still on them in 3 6 months can work with you on withdrawel need something dont fancey antidepressannts have been on them for six weeks when i see some people have been on them for years 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.