First time Colonoscopy - My experience

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hi, I thought i'd share my experience with others, esp those going through it for their first time. When i was told the news, i was so worried and had lots of questions I didn't know what to think at first. So i'm hoping sharing my experience will help others, even if it's just one person. I'll be as graphic as I can, because these are the things people don't tell you. So if you don't want gory details, don't keep reading smile

I'm a 25 yr old female going through this for the first time (first hospital experience too). I have procedure tomorrow, and today i'm taking my \"prep\". One down one to go so far today...

I've been given MoviPrep. I've heard a lot of people talking about the taste. You're given 4 packets of powder. 2 A's and 2 B's, you mix you one A and one B with a litre of water...and drink it all within an hour. Then drink another 1 litre of water within the next hour.(then repeat later in the evening or in the morning)

The first glass wasn't bad at all, kinda of citrusy. But the other glasses were hard to swallow, mostly because you have to drink so much of it!

I found drinking the litre of water in the next hour quite difficult, i all i felt i was doing was drinking and drinking!

The MoviPrep kicked in just as I was finishing the last glass. It didn't come on all of a sudden, my tummy was rumbling and I thought it might go to the bathroom just incase. And well, it does it job and everything comes out, literally in a liquid form.

There is no pain, just \"water\". And quite a lot of it...I'd suggest preparing your bathroom to make things easier. I stocked up on wet wipes, magazines, scented candles and a bottle of water so you can carry on with part two, because you wont be going anywhere for a while. I even took my laptop with me and put it on a stool to browse the internet. You'll get bored more than anything.

You'll mostly get random episodes of water coming out very quickly, so just stay where you are. You will feel the need, it won't come unexpected.

After around 35 minutes I felt ok enough to leave the bathroom, to rest on the bed and watch tv. I had to go again after 30 minutes, again it was just water.

Now thats the worst of it over smile. Now because i drank all that water, i'm now needing to pee every 20 mintues. But i'm now comfortable resting in my bed.

I have do this all again in about 6 hours time now, so i'll report back after the 2nd round.

Hope this helps. smile

8 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi again,

So it's now the morning of my colonoscopy. I took my later litre of solution at 6pm last night, and it kicked in just before 7pm. It was the same as the first time, just a little bit less. But i still spent around 40min in the bathroom, drinking my additional litre of water.

I was comfortable to leave the bathroom about 7.40, i just walked around in the next room to stretch my legs. But i'd suggest only venturing about 10 feet from the bathroom as you'll need to run back in about 10 minutes time. Don't worry you'll feel it! After that, I was able to leave the bathroom for 20 minutes, i just sat in the next room again waiting. After your 2nd or 3 rush back to the bathroom, the times get larger apart. I didn't have to go again for another hour. Then I was comfortable enough to go to sleep, I stayed up till 11pm just incase, but I could of went to sleep around 10pm.

I woke up around 2.30am for the bathroom(which isn't unusual for me, so you might sleep through the night). Then I slept all the way through to 8am.

It's now 10am here, and i'm still having a tiny little bit coming out, but it's only when i go to the bathroom, there is no rushing at this point.

The only thing is i am starving!! since i've not ate anything for 36 hours now, i feel quite weak. And my mouth waters everytime i see food on tv. Yesterday just before the 2nd round, i was feeling really sleepy, which is a common side effect.

So for the day before, and the day of the op. I'd suggest just stocking up on some tv shows or films to keep you going, while you rest in bed/sofa where ever you feel more comfortable.

Will report back after my procedure this evening.

smile

• Posted

Thanks for sharing - I know by now this is years after your post but my turn to comment/share for others.  I am having my first colonoscopy Monday morning (this reply was written on the Saturday PM before the fireworks start).  I spent hours looking, but could not find out, when I could expect to stop pooping and start sleeping, after the first (evening) round of 32 oz of prep juice.  Prep was basically the same as yours but with a different mix (238g of Miralax with 64oz of Gatorade).  The expectations were identical--clear poop.  All I wanted to know is when the first round of fireworks would cease hence, would be able to get a little sleep before round two and finally the car ride to the procedure location.  You are the only one that gave an answer.  It might be a little off for each person but it was a lot more than all of the medical sites,  my doctor's site, and my doctor's instructions combined.  Tomorrow night I will see how close my experience was to your's.  If I survive I'll try to stop back and share my timeline.

• Posted

Last week I said that, I am having my first colonoscopy Monday morning ...If I survive I'll try to stop back and share my timeline.

Well now it's all behind me and I would like to first say to newbies, though a bit worn out, I'll repeat anyway, everyone is different, so take this for what its worth, one man's experience.

I read dozens of horror stories that had me sweating for days, I never saw any of them that came close to mine but will say mine came close to my gastr-doc's description. It was not horrible. It was not pleasant. It was painless and imaginable.

A few things that I did contributed to the manageable part. First I mixed the prep using a large Tupperware pitcher starting with four, 20oz bottles of Lemon lime G2 (mixture was 238g of Miralax with 64oz of Gatorade), that's a total of 80oz and I needed only 64oz so the third one only had to provide 4oz. I just drank the rest. After mixing well, per the instructions, I poured them back into the four bottles with about the same distance to the top (each got about 16oz.), I put on the caps, took out a magic marker, drew a horizontal line about in the middle and labeled them 5:00PM above the line, 5:15PM below the line, and went to the next bottle continuing the four, 15 minute apart labels. The other 2 bottles started at 4:00AM and so on to co-inside with the instructions. I even numbered them 1,2,3,4. That took the worry out of timing, just look at the clock and grab the right bottle. I also followed what many said...prep your bathroom. I am lucky enough to have a separate bathroom in my home office so will say that helped manage things. I set up a snack table with my laptop, ready for long bouts with the bowl. The swipes and Desitin were great tips that I found everywhere. Do it. It removes that concern entirely. Finally, I suggest that you start the diet up to a week early if you can--I read that some people did that. I read it too late but did start a few days early. With the low-residue diet, I was a bit late but I started the liquid diet 12 hours before the instructions and I recommend it. One thing that made things easier for me is that I am a decades celebrated vegetarian, the veggie broth was just fine. Don't fight it and worry about being hungry. The pay-back is well worth it when you get to the BM part. I also had it a little easier because of a partial gastrectomy I had 14 years ago as a result of my bout with the big C, so I eat in small quantities anyway. Just pointing out some things that make my case a little different. Also, don't plan on any sleep, if you get any at all, that's a bonus. Working folk, you must do this on a Monday, morning is best. The reason I emphasize the timeline is because that is what I was looking for from others but had a lot of trouble finding – I hate surprises and a timeline lets you know about what to expect. So here is what I typed in on my laptop as I went through the prep:

Started drink at 4:30p instead of 5p in case it took me longer

Small 10 min gap between bottles 1and 2 16oz pre-made, pre-marked bottles.

Finished close to 6p

First related BM 6:30p not severe, plenty of warning, started with a bit of crampiness

Then stalled out - nada - back to my home computer browsing and waiting

Next 6:45p - more respectable, again decent warning (added post procedure: your stomach cramps will announce it is time to head for the bowl, pay attention and move hastily).

Seems about every 15 mins is the time between BM's

Now 7:15p, simmering down. Occasional visits.

Swipes and Desitin help

Staying busy with laptop and iPhone helping

Took the 2 pills per instructions

A few visits since last

Nothing major

Maybe due to partial gastrectomy

Not clear yet

had a jello - oops, Just realized Jell-O was red. Most is red, oh well

Should say on instruction - no red jello

tried sleeping - just a few cat naps - had a few interruptions

alarm rang at 4 am - collected stuff -- started gulping at about 4:15am

finished around 5:15

nothing yet...

if it takes a few hours - hoping for clear around 7 to 8am worst case 9 - then ready myself for 10:20 appt

... let's see - now 5:24am

.. now 6:42 and not much happening - a bit worried about call off - read a lot about that

----

put laptop away - so it finished with big worry about “clear” and hit the Internet again almost in a panic - mostly stories about getting sent home to prep again another appointment

---

a final BM just before leaving, clear poop, phew!!! ...end of that stress.

The rest was as advertised, waiting room, long wait on the assembly line, And finally in.

My case was a bit different than anything I've read about so here goes...

IV in arm, anesthesiologist in position, doctor in position (in front of screen) and I'm asked to turn and lay on my left side. As I did the shooting pain in my neck, due to recently being rear ended in a car accident, was too much. I asked the anesthesiologist to please wad up the tiny pillow and raise the bed and he did. As I did I could see the screen and quite clearly and observed that the procedure had clearly started. As I saw "it" I said (a dumb thing to say but the anesthesia was trickling in) oh leave me like this so I can watch”. With that I said to the anesthesiologist "that's better, I just got rear-ended", not realizing what I had just said, I could see that he staff had smirks on their faces and the gatro-doc signaled to up the dosage and put me out. The next thing I knew I was drinking apple juice in the recovery room.

The rest of the day was just about relaxing and recalling that it wasn't all that bad.  

• Posted

I had it done but it was not 80 ounce of Gatorade I bought it was 2 32 ounce bottles of it or you can use Powerade also they told me it has too be yellow or clear so mine was yellow and cleaned out. I about got sick from drinking that stuff but I did it but not happy with that's doctor's findings she found an advanced polyp which means it is benign but she wants it removed before it turns into cancer. So do I do she referred me too see a colon surgeon just waiting on there call and he has been a doctor for 27 years that out me at ease with much experience so I am ok with that. I hope everything goes ok after that surgery no complications. Plus on my colon prep I also had too take 4 durcolax tablets so I was completely cleaned out. The only thing after I had side effects of staggering and the room spinning for about a couple of days then it was over with.

• Posted

Hi again,

So it's now the day after my colonoscopy.

I think i said in my last post that it was still passing a little water in the morning (yellow in colour). I spoke with the nurse and this is a 100% normal. So if this is happening to you, don't worry.

So I checked in to the in-patient unit at 2pm, and was shown to a small room. The nurse came in and took my blood pressure/heat beat and weight and asked me some questions about my history and if i'm allergic to anything.

I was then given a gown an slippers and asked to take of any jewellery. You need to be naked under the gown, but you get to take your underwear off at the last minute.

The dr then came in and explained the procedure to me and i signed a consent form.

I waited another 20 minutes and I was called, the nurse asked if i'd like to use the bathroom before going in, which i did and then I walked to the theatre down the hall.

In the room, there was a nurse, the dr and the anesthesiologist. I was asked to lie on the bed, and they put the thing on to monitor my blood pressure, and little clip on your finger and some pads around my chest to monitor my heart beat.

The anesthesiologist then but a needle in the back of my hand, which pinched a little but i'm not scared of needles. He then injected something in. I asked if that was going to make me sleep and he said it was something he puts in before? He then connected a tube into the back of my hand like a drip, and i was asked to turn on my left side, and they fluffed my pillow up for me lol. He said i might feel dizy but I was lying there on my side, with my fluffed up pillow just getting comfy and that's the last thing i remember!

I was wheeled back to my private room, and started waking up, and they asked my to climb back into the bed. I'd been in there for 45 minutes.

The dr was there when I was walking up, you feel completely feel a little drowsey and I was nonsense to the dr, kinda like when your a teenage and your drunk and try to have a serious conversation with your parents.

Which was a little embarrassing, he told me to let out any gas i had, but i didn't feel like i had any and didn't feel bloated. I was just telling him about my job and how i like chocolate croissants, and that i sometimes like to have a kinder hippo in bed at night when i watch ugly betty. I also asked if i could have another colonoscopy because i enjoyed it and how i didn't feel violated at all *cringes*.

I started feel normal again after about 20 minutes, and the dr came back to tell me I had the all clear and it's IBS i have, but he took biopsies just incase but he's pretty sure they will come back clear. They even gave me some photos of my colon!

After that they brought me in two sandwiches and a drink. All in all i'd been out for about an hour and was allowed to go home. I felt ok going home, although u do have that constant feeling of just woken up, where yours looking around to just check everything out and your not 100% sure where things are etc, a little dazed maybe, but fine.

My partner took me home and i watched movies had some food and went to bed.

Today i feel fine, no pain nothing, the odd tinge in my tummy but thats nothing unusual if your going because you have ibs/crohns.

For me the worst part if def drinking moviprep, and the embarrassing chat to the dr when i was coming too.

So that was my experience. I hope this helps put your mind at rest if your worried. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'd be more than happy to help.

smile

• Posted

Thanks Elle I start my prep today go in tomorrow morning.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I was told today that I need to have a colonoscopy and I'm a bit bewildered. Have never had any hospital treatment before so didn't know what to expect until I read your post. Thanks again.
    • Posted

I don't understand why people are still allowing themselves to go through this barbaric procedure just because someone you need to have it done at the age of 50. JUST SAY NO!

• Posted

Hi,

I also have my fist colonoscopy on monday :s. Im honestly terrified. Your post is very helpfull. It just concerns me that so many people report bad pain ect whilst having it done, even when theyve had sedatives. I really hope that i will just fall to sleep and just wake up without noing whats happening. I am prone to panic attacks and im worried i will have one there. sad. Thanks for your post it was really well written, and went into great detail. The first post thats made me feel better about it smile x

• Posted

@Dinky, I'm glad you found my post useful and I hope everything went well.

@joanne. I'm sure you will be fine. I also sometimes get panic attacks, but don't be embarrassed explain to your dr/nurse if a certain things triggers it and they can work around. I was having a panic attack because i had to drink the moviprep a few hours before the op and didn't want to travel in case I had an "accident" when travelling , so they kindly let me do the moviprep the day before. I can honestly say, the movi prep was the worst part.

I've heard of some people experiencing pain (only when awake for the procedure, which has been described as bad wind. Why not ask if you have the option to be put under fully if you experience pain. For me having "options" makes me a lot more relax.

Let me know how it goes smile

• Posted

Yeh I would much prefer to be put under completly. Just so i dont need to worry about pain. I will definelty talk to them and see what they say. I just get panic attacks when im so nervous...like i will be monday morning. I cant control it. So unfortunetly theres not much they can do to avoid it, other than sedate me quickly !!

My main conercn is that i get epic stomach pains as it is, and this inflation they do sounds like it will hurt.

I will post once Ive had it done, and let everyone know my experience aswell.

Thanks againx

• Posted

If you find something that helps when you get nervous..maybe listening to music, or even talking to someone to take your mind off it. When i get panic attacks I tell my partner i'm having one, and we talk through it...it helps take my mind off it a little, it's worse suffering in silence.

I hope they allow you to be put under, even knowing you can will put you at ease. I'd give them a phone today (if you can) and speak to someone at the in-patient, ask them if you will be asleep or not. If not, ask if you can. The sooner you know, the more at ease you'll be.

When I woke up I didn't have any pain at all from the inflation, but i've read people feel bloated and pass a large amount of gas. The inflation part won't hurt (if you're awake), the only pain (if there is anyway) is when the tube passes round the corners, but you may be able to watch this on a tv screen.

Best bet is, just ask them to knock you out smile

But if i didn't know what had happened I would of said they didn't touch me at all.

x

• Posted

Hi elle, thanks for sharing your experience i will be doing a colonoscopy in a few days and i was a little worryd about it i've done upper gi endoscopys more then a few times but never done the colonoscopy (:

• Posted

Thank you sooooo much for this. I was told I need to have one. Sooooo terrifying. Reading your post calmed my nerves alot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.