First time Colonoscopy - My experience

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hi, I thought i'd share my experience with others, esp those going through it for their first time. When i was told the news, i was so worried and had lots of questions I didn't know what to think at first. So i'm hoping sharing my experience will help others, even if it's just one person. I'll be as graphic as I can, because these are the things people don't tell you. So if you don't want gory details, don't keep reading smile

I'm a 25 yr old female going through this for the first time (first hospital experience too). I have procedure tomorrow, and today i'm taking my \"prep\". One down one to go so far today...

I've been given MoviPrep. I've heard a lot of people talking about the taste. You're given 4 packets of powder. 2 A's and 2 B's, you mix you one A and one B with a litre of water...and drink it all within an hour. Then drink another 1 litre of water within the next hour.(then repeat later in the evening or in the morning)

The first glass wasn't bad at all, kinda of citrusy. But the other glasses were hard to swallow, mostly because you have to drink so much of it!

I found drinking the litre of water in the next hour quite difficult, i all i felt i was doing was drinking and drinking!

The MoviPrep kicked in just as I was finishing the last glass. It didn't come on all of a sudden, my tummy was rumbling and I thought it might go to the bathroom just incase. And well, it does it job and everything comes out, literally in a liquid form.

There is no pain, just \"water\". And quite a lot of it...I'd suggest preparing your bathroom to make things easier. I stocked up on wet wipes, magazines, scented candles and a bottle of water so you can carry on with part two, because you wont be going anywhere for a while. I even took my laptop with me and put it on a stool to browse the internet. You'll get bored more than anything.

You'll mostly get random episodes of water coming out very quickly, so just stay where you are. You will feel the need, it won't come unexpected.

After around 35 minutes I felt ok enough to leave the bathroom, to rest on the bed and watch tv. I had to go again after 30 minutes, again it was just water.

Now thats the worst of it over smile. Now because i drank all that water, i'm now needing to pee every 20 mintues. But i'm now comfortable resting in my bed.

I have do this all again in about 6 hours time now, so i'll report back after the 2nd round.

Hope this helps. smile

8 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Elle. Lovely Name. I had my first colonoscopy last Friday, the 10th. I did it without sedation or pain medicine and the experience was nowhere as bad as other medical procedures I had as a child. It was rough about 3 times but it wasn't near bad enough to stop. I gasped in pain but I told the doc "do what you need to do". I never had such strong pain that I had no problem enduring it indefinitely. I actually told the doc, "if you need to pump air just do it" at the bend. I wanted him to see where he was going. Once he got to the end of the colon he saw that the prep left a thin layer of yellowish stool which he had to clean it. That process felt weird but very comfortable. The extraction was a weird sensation but it was over quickly. The recovery was two passes of gas and I was done. I will have it again sober in 3 years time. I will need to go back in 3 years and I think the prep will include an "enema until clear" or a full colonic because the previous prep was too slow and not enough to clear the colon residue on the walls.
  • Posted

My husband and I are about to have our first colonoscopies! I really found your post helpful and enlightening!!! Thanks to you, I'm not so worried about this now. 😀 I will share this post of yours with my husband to ease his mind.
    • Posted

It generally is much worse in your mind than in reality. One tip though: when the tube is first inserted, try and push out (which feels the wrong thing to do) and not clench in (which feels the right thing to do). If you clench in the muscles tighten and it is much less comfortable. Usually it feels a bit odd until the first bend when it mysteriously becomes much less trouble: anyway - good luck and I hope it's an "all clear"!
  • Posted

Ella, Thank you Ella for the info. I am schedule for a colonoscopy April 7. I was reading your info about it. It is the first one I have ever done [ kind of scared about it}. After reading your experience it doesn't sound to bad.  Thank you Joe J.
  • Posted

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear. I'm going in for my first on the 21st March; reading about experiences does take the scare out of it. Its the laxative and fasting that scares me!!
  • Posted

Hopefully all these little tricks and hints will help someone else while going through the process of preparing for a colonoscopy. I'm having mine done tomorrow and it will be my 3rd colonoscopy. I started the Moviprep 30 minutes ago and have finished my second 8 oz. glass. I made sure to chill it as recommended and I added a little Crystal Lite to it. It didn't really taste that bad but I have been hydrating all day long with chicken boullion, popsicles, lemonade and green jello so the added liquid volume was more difficult the second 8 oz glass. I'm halfway through but have to repeat it again at 6 a.m. in the morning. I had some Zolfran for nausea left in my medicine cabinet from a previous total knee replacement and took that with my second dose. Hopefully the last two 8 ounce glasses won't make me nauseaus.

I know that being really hydrated is very important for kidney function and for visualization of the lower intestine so it's imperitive that anyone doing this prep follow the instructions to the letter. I was hungry earlier but now that I have so much liquid sloshing around in my stomach, food is the last thing on my mind. I haven't begun to feel like using the bathroom but oh yeah, I know that's coming very soon. I'm prepared with magazines and the softest toilet paper on the market. I also have some zinc oxide and witch hazel pads on the ready in case my bum gets real sore.

• Posted

one thing I want to add to my post is that I heated up a cup of chicken broth and took little spoonsful in between gulps of Moviprep. That helps instantly to take away that awful lemon flavor.
  • Posted

Hi Elle,

Thanks for your post. I have my first colonoscepy on Monday, 9/12/2016, at 11am. I wanted to ask you a question about the day after. How did you feel the day after your procedure? We're you able to go out to do everyday errands? I have a 2 hour therapy appointment the following day and wanted to know if I should cancel it or not. We're you still dizzy or sleepy your day after? Did you have gas and/or diarrhea? I totally don't want to embarrass myself in therapy the day after procedure and i was thinking I should cancel my appointments the day after. Please reply.

Best,

Patricia

• Posted

Elle_25.  I can really sympathize with you when it comes to colonoscopies.  The colonoscopy was fine itself.  It was the preparation that I never want to do again.  I remember feeling quite well the next day but I think I rested a lot that next day.  Maybe take a day to yourself without a lot of people in it OK?  biggrin

• Posted

Thanks Donna! I appreciate your helpful response. I think I will cancel my appointments for the day after my colonoscepy for rest and regaining my strength. I think taking care of me is most important. Reducing stress of all kinds, including the unknown of the day after, is better for me in the long run.

Thanks again!

• Posted

I had no problems during the rest of the day after my Colonoscopy but I didn't get any sedation and I was able to eat afterwards.  If you get sedation your thinking may be compromised after the Colonoscopy and driving is definately not a good idea.

• Posted

I had my 1st colonoscepy and endoscopy yesterday. I was under anesthesia the whole time. It all happened so quickly.

The staff were ahead of schedule so my 11am appointment became a 10:30am appointment. I walked out at 11:15am with a sleepy feeling but that was all.

The things I remember about my experience were the following: putting on the gown for the procedure, getting an IV, talking with my nurse as I was rolled into the procedure room, meeting the anesthesiologist, talking with my doctor and biting down on a mouth guard. All of this happened insanely fast.

The actual last thing I remember was the nurse placing the mouth guard in my mouth, asking me if I was okay and I shook my head slightly no. The next memory I had was waking up in my private room. I was discharged within a few minutes. It was amazing.

I really wasn't really hungry afterwards but mostly sleepy. I did have a little bit of pasta before I napped for 3 hours.

I think the worst part of my whole experience was the anxiety of the unknown. Yes, the Suprep liquid tasted like a terrible, thick old cough medicine, and drinking all that water in such a short period of time, plus the trips to the bathroom weren't fun. But I did it! I really did it!

And I don't have to have this procedure done for another 10 years!

Like they say, "if I can do it, you can absolutely do it", is definite truth. "The only fear is fear itself. The rest of it is just gravy." smile

Love you guys!

• Posted

Really really really enjoyed your thread.. thank you for putting my fears to rest a bit. I'll be heading for my first C/E in a few hours. And you're right, the worst is the anxiety leading up ... thanks again!

• Posted

Omg im so scared, i have just found out over the phone today that the dr wants me in for my colonoscopy doing on sunday 18th dec 2016. I dont think i can do the moviprep and i keep panicking that much that im causing myself to have chest pains. Pls pls help me through this, im in two minds weather to just ring and cancel it.
    • Posted

Hi joanne,

i know how scared you are im having one on tuesday 20th, ive had one many years ago im now 59. I know i am due and as its a screening process we all should have done. My main worry is ive got terrible anxiety with menopause, and hemorhoids dr wants to band them during the procedure. Im not sure about the banding, scary thoughts about pain after.

many of my friends have had this and they say the prep isnt too bad be prepared, chill the prep have some ginger cordial, or lemon. Drink plenty of water, suck on barley suger lollies. The procedure is fine, not too horrible. Im just very anxiuos generally so this extra stress isnt good, but i know im overdue for this test. One step at a time, breath deep, watch some soothing meditation clip on youtube. Call a friend for a chat? Stay close to the loo restroom lol though! Best of luck sweetie 💕

• Posted

I just had my first on yesterday and was scared to death. I am only 32 And had every symptom or colon cancer. And mine came back fine they said. The prep was not too bad for me. Worst part not being able to eat anything. I just remember being pushed back to the room they door it and lady said I looked nervous I told her I have been nervous this whole year and my blood pressure was a little high they said because I was nervous. Then she put something in my IV and said it might sting alittle going in and it was not 10 seconds later I was out like a light bulb. I just remember waking up and my gf and mom was in room with me. I guess they told my mom that they gave me alittle more then most people because I was so nervous. They even had to wake me up lol. But I don't remember that part lol. So if your that nervous just let them know they might make sure you are out like I was. I didn't feel anything not even when I woke up no sore butt or anything. I felt same as when I went in besides being looney from the medicine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.