First time Colonoscopy - My experience

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hi, I thought i'd share my experience with others, esp those going through it for their first time. When i was told the news, i was so worried and had lots of questions I didn't know what to think at first. So i'm hoping sharing my experience will help others, even if it's just one person. I'll be as graphic as I can, because these are the things people don't tell you. So if you don't want gory details, don't keep reading smile

I'm a 25 yr old female going through this for the first time (first hospital experience too). I have procedure tomorrow, and today i'm taking my \"prep\". One down one to go so far today...

I've been given MoviPrep. I've heard a lot of people talking about the taste. You're given 4 packets of powder. 2 A's and 2 B's, you mix you one A and one B with a litre of water...and drink it all within an hour. Then drink another 1 litre of water within the next hour.(then repeat later in the evening or in the morning)

The first glass wasn't bad at all, kinda of citrusy. But the other glasses were hard to swallow, mostly because you have to drink so much of it!

I found drinking the litre of water in the next hour quite difficult, i all i felt i was doing was drinking and drinking!

The MoviPrep kicked in just as I was finishing the last glass. It didn't come on all of a sudden, my tummy was rumbling and I thought it might go to the bathroom just incase. And well, it does it job and everything comes out, literally in a liquid form.

There is no pain, just \"water\". And quite a lot of it...I'd suggest preparing your bathroom to make things easier. I stocked up on wet wipes, magazines, scented candles and a bottle of water so you can carry on with part two, because you wont be going anywhere for a while. I even took my laptop with me and put it on a stool to browse the internet. You'll get bored more than anything.

You'll mostly get random episodes of water coming out very quickly, so just stay where you are. You will feel the need, it won't come unexpected.

After around 35 minutes I felt ok enough to leave the bathroom, to rest on the bed and watch tv. I had to go again after 30 minutes, again it was just water.

Now thats the worst of it over smile. Now because i drank all that water, i'm now needing to pee every 20 mintues. But i'm now comfortable resting in my bed.

I have do this all again in about 6 hours time now, so i'll report back after the 2nd round.

Hope this helps. smile

8 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Enjoyed reading your story smile I have my colonoscopy and endoscopy in the morning and I'm super nervous. I fell asleep close to 11:45 ish and woke up around a quarter after 1. And out with the yellow water that seems unending . I want to sleep, but can't and have to be up in 3 hours. That prep drink is the worst hahaha I can't shake the taste. Thankfully they're not accompanied by stomach cramps like most laxatives. Just the running water sensation.

I have to admit I'm rambling more because I'm nervous. I have my 2 year old sleeping next to me and I just want all this to be over with so I don't have to be afraid to run around with her (afraid I'm gonna soil myself) and I can just be easy. I'll let you know how it went but wanted to tell you, even if it was a little bit, I relaxed reading your story wink

• Posted

Thank you so much for your post Elle_25!  I was scheduled for a colonoscopy and endoscopy at the same time.  Your post was very informative and alleviated some of my anxiety.  The prep was the worse part of the procedure! I thought I would share my experience to provide information as well.  Thanks again!

As Elle_25 said the prep is the worse part! I took the things she recommended as well as Lysol wipes and a plastice bag.  The plastic bag was to put the used wipes in and to be able to throw them in the garbage after your time spent in the bathroom.  The Lysol wipes were used to clean up under the toilet seat after your first trip to the bathroom. Reading material or something to keep you occupied while your on the pot.

The first bottle was drank at 5 p.m. Note: I hadn't had a bowel movement since Sunday and liquid diet on Tuesday (today is Wednesday).  The prep solution tastes terrible as everyone who has experienced this has told you.  I was miserable with drinking the solution and the water needed to drink over the next hour because I was so full.   I drank the solution started at 5 p.m. and went into action at 5:50.  As Elle_25 said it was liquid the whole time; no hard stool.  This episode cleaned out the overdue bowel movement.  This initial episode with the bathroom lasted one hour (6:50). I felt finished but was close to the bathroom for 15 minutes but did not run to the bathroom.  I acutually had to go somewhere for 20-30 minutes after this first bottle but no accidents. 

I drank the second bottle along with 32 oz of water at 9:00 p.m The second bottle was hard for me to get down.  I think it might of been because I felt somewhat full or the thought of how it full I would be after drinking all the liquid. I was in the bathroom at 9:10.  This time it was 80% clear/light yellow liquid but some darker liquid in the beginning.  I was done by 10:10-:15. I think I made one more trip around 10:45.

I arrived at the surgery center at 7 a.m. The usual pre-op stuff was done such as paperwork and vital signs. I went under for this procedure so I had a visit from the anesthesiologist as well.  I was rolled into the surgery room at 7:45.  My blood pressure was taken, heart monitor attached, mouth guard (for the endoscopy), and oxygen mask was put on.  I was awake for about 20 seconds in the surgery room and woke up up at 9:15 in the recovery room and in my car at 9:35.  I don' t remember a thing except the 20 seconds I was awake and waking up in the recovery room.  I was told I would have alot of gas post op and they weren't kidding. I ate a 1/2 sandwich and fell asleep (1 hour)  once I was home. The actual procedure went great.  The prep is the miserable part.  

It's 5 hours later, 2 cups of coffee and a bowl of cereal without any problems. My throat and butt do not hurt.  I'm glad its over!

I hope this calms your nerves. 

Thanks for reading!

• Posted

Hello Elle and Everyone else!  

I am waiting to schedule my first colonoscopy; apparently my dr has to send the order which has to be reviewed, then someone else calls me to schedule it.  Didn't realize things would be quite so complicated, but oh well.

I'm a little nervous because I have to get an endoscopy done as well and am a little freaked out with that.  I'm assuming I would be completely knocked out for this?  Someone out there...PLEASE tell me I will be completely incoherent for this!

Something else I'm concerned about is that I had gastric bypass surgery and I am very afraid that I cannot drink all that liquid.  I researched a little bit about this online and read that some people get pill laxatives to take instead.  Anyone out there with gastric bypass in their background?

Also, I'm trying to schedule this whole thing around taking as little work off as possible.  Does everyone think I'd be able to work the next day or will I still be running to the bathroom?  I realize I need to take the prep day and the day of procedure off, but hate to have to use any more "benefit" time for this.

Any information that anyone can provide would really be appreciated!  Thank you to everyone for all their stories.  They are very informational as well as very entertaining!

Thanks in advance!!

• Posted

Hi smile thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I was curious, why did you need the colonoscopy? What we're your symptoms? I've been having some weird digestive issues lately and I'm nervous my dr will be recommending a colonoscopy soon. Thanks for your reply!

• Posted

I would have these sharp pains in my lower left abdomen ever so often. The pain lasted about 5 minutes; it was almost like I had a Charlie Horse. My father also died of stomach cancer as well as 2 of his siblings. I wasn't having a BM very often either. It made me nervous but I knew I had to get one done.

The colonoscopy went good. My colon in the area of my pain is very twisted. The doctor said the pain was probably b/c of this and why I couldn't have a BM very often. A biopsy was taken and nothing was found.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! I get a dull achy pain in my lower left abdomen as well as a few other symptoms so I'll be sure to tell my dr. Thanks again, I'm so sorry to hear about your father but I'm glad your biopsy came back clear, what a wonderful relief! Have a good day! smile

• Posted

Do you need to have any further tests or treatment because of your twisted colon?

I'm so nervous about what they will find during mine

• Posted

My doc said possible surgery to see what's causing the twisting or possible cut out some of my colon if the pain increases and I continue to have difficulty having a BM. I've had no pain since my colposcopy. I take Miralax to help with having a BM. A colonoscopy once a year is the only test.

Thx,

Nancy

• Posted

I had a friend who twisted and twisted. He was very glad he had the surgery
  • Posted

Hello Else, Ive suffered with Its most of my life and I'm 52 and they are doing a colonoscopy in a few days and I don't like going to hospitals or the thought of moviprep thank you for your excellent insight into the procedure. I feel much more at ease with it all. I'm sure lots of people with benefit from the information you have provided. Thank you again

• Posted

Hi Elle. Thank you for sharing your experience. I think my doctor may ask me to do one soon. I am terrified. I worry about being put under, as I have never been sedated for anything. I also worry about the fasting part. I am diabetic and worry how I will keep my blood sugars balanced without being able to eat any food. There is no family history of any colon issues. The doctor is only asking because of my age. I am 52. I have major anxiety issues and am not sure I will be able to handle it.
    • Posted

I was allowed  black coffee with sugar, but no cream  up to 3-4 hours before the test. Would that help you in terms of the blood sugar issue?
    • Posted

I wasn't allowed anything before the procedure except broth, jello (no red jello), and Gatorade. I don't anything about coffee before the procedure.

• Posted

i had specifically asked about coffee before procedure n was told that as long as no milk or cream in it --and if 3-4 hours before procedure-it was fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.