Follow up: 3 years after 3 TURPs and I'm headed back for more tissue removal

Posted , 1 user is following.

Greetings community members. In the summer of 2020, I became fully blocked and unable to urinate. My urologist suggested a TURP since my prostate is described as "massive" by CT scan commenters. TURP #1 (small amount of tissue, still blocked), TURP #2 (same) then after a break, TURP #3 in January 2021 for a total of 172g of tissue removed. It worked! Up until last month, I was doing fine and my PVR was around 200ml, considered to be ok. Quality of life was good. Urologist was moving to partial retirement.

After many recommendations for this new urologist across town, I did the new patient thing with him which included a UroCuff test, CT scan and a cystoscopy which apparently irritated the heck out of my prostate. This, along with a lot of scar tissue from the TURPs, had made a mess of my system. I thought everything was pretty much ok. Cloudy urine and regular "prostate nose bleeds" now and then were concerning me. I started getting up at night to dribble a bit. New urologist tried to fix it via surgery (removal of prostatic strictures) last week but couldn't so he installed a suprapubic catheter in me just in case. He sent me urologist #3.

Urologist #3 has much experience with the DaVinci robotic surgery system that is commonly used for "robotic" removal of all or part of a very large prostate when other techniques don't work. So, now I'm preparing for another surgery to removal much of my median lobe and fix this problem correctly....but I'm scared. My fear with TURP #3 was that it wouldn't fix my issue and I'd be out of options. (I was wrong) My fear with the idea of a "Robotic Partial Prostatectomy" by a bright young doctor who is wandering around my guts, cutting this and that, is that if something goes wrong, I'll be messed up forever. (I'm 61)

Has anyone on here had Robotic Prostate surgery and if so, how was the recovery? Has anyone on here figured out what pants to wear with a suprapubic catheter? (I miss my blue jeans, wearing sweat pants and my old chef's pants from the past.) Just wanted to share....

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.