food stuck in throat ?? please help !

Posted , 3 users are following.

okay , so i should start by saying that i am a MAJOR hypochondriac and i have OCD as well so at this point im not sure if im just imagining this feeling due to my anxiety of it but any reassurance would help . so yesterday i was eating these flat tortilla wraps (not hard shell but they werent very soft) and i guess i swallowed a pretty large piece cuz i felt something kinda poking / stabbing the right side of my throat . i didnt cough or choke or anything just felt like a nail in my throat . i drank some water to get it down but still continued to feel the same thing so i just continued to eat the wraps with smaller bites and slowly while eating i stopped feeling the poking feeling so i guess the wraps pushed that piece down ?? but after i finished eating , i realized that i can still feel as if a sharp nail is stuck in my throat and still poking me . after drinking hot tea , cold water , and sleeping .. it is now the next day and i still feel as if something is poking the right side of my throat . not the middle , not left , ONLY the right . im not having trouble swallowing , breathing or anything like that . so my question is at this point , is it possible for this piece of tortilla wrap to truly be stuck in my throat or is this just my hypochondria ? my mom says its not possible to have food stuck in the throat for so long especially if im talking , breathing and swallowing normally . she says its possible that this piece of tortilla wrap could have just possibly scratched my throat while going down and thats the poking feeling that im feeling but it should go away in a day or two ?? can anyone else just please confirm this ? let me know what you guys think please . is this just a hypochondriac thing or its possible i still have something stuck in my throat ? do you agree with my mom ?? please answer ! any opinion is helpful . thank you so much !!!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

anyone ?? 😦

• Posted

I have same issue right now and just had endoscopy yesterday. They dilated my esophagus and took biopsies but i still have the feeling of something being stuck. I don't even want to eat.

I wont have results for 14 days but they reassured me that its only a feeling and nothing is actually there and prescribed me medication for GERD. 40 mg of omeprazole (spelling?)

I have been taking muscle relaxers which is the one thing that feels like it relaxes my throat muscles some, doesn't go away but makes it feel a little less larger.

I can keep you updated if you'd like.

• Edited

The bit of food that you swallowed probably irritated your throat a little, hence why you can still feel the sensation after drinking and sleeping. Sometimes food does get stuck but it will eventually go down, dont worry. The fact that you're swallowing with no pain or discomfort is a really good sign. I know its really hard when you have health anxiety to not think the worst and panic. If its really starting to bother you after a week or two then consult a doctor but honestly I think you'll be fine - just the sensation may stay for a little while because the stress of it will make your body focus on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.