Gabapentin Withdrawal and Magnesium. Success.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was on 600 MG's of GB for three months.   Fog, nausea, depressed and anxiety.  My GP Told me to go cold turkey!  Big mistake, I was very ill.   He then tapered me, 2x100 for two weeks and 1x100 for two weeks.   I read about magnesium and tried it.  My mistake was buying a cheap variety.  I then tried to get Remag, but it was going to take too long.  I opted for CBT off Amazon.  Three pills three times a day not near my 10 pm GB dose.

During this withdrawal I felt awful.  Take the GB at 10pm then all the next day felt terrible until 7 pm when I felt good.   So I wondered what is the point of taking the GB as it was making me feel suicidal.   I stopped it there and then.   I am off.  I feel like I did before the GB.   Please try this as it I worked for me.   I will never ever touch this stuff again, pure evil.   Good luck 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've gone from 300mg a day to 1800mg a day with no side effects.  No Fog/Nausea/Depression or Anxiety.  I'm on it for siactic pain from my butt to my feet.  Trouble is....it's not working very well.  Still giving it a try in hopes the Dr. is right.

• Posted

I am also feeling very depressed. I will start with more magnesium Im still on 100 mg of gabapentin I can't believe how long this is taking. I feel like locking myself in my room and just dealing with the withdrawal.  You are so right this stuff is pure evil.  Thanks for your info and best of luck to you. 

• Posted

Hi Kathy I was down to 100.   Took it 10 pm felt awful until 6 pm the next night.   So. Stopped taking it and am quite good. 3 days on.  But the ZMB6. Really helped.  Three times a day with loads of water.   Good luck 
    • Posted

What brand of ZMB6 do you take ? I've heard magnesium is a great source as far as helping with gaba wd this stuff is horrible in the feelings during the process of trying to stop our horrible

• Posted

Hi Kathy, did you manage to get off the 100 mg.of gabapentin? I'm on 200 mg right now and in 3 weeks will drop to 100mg.I have started taking magnesium malate.Did your magnesium help with getting off of that last 100 mg? Hope to hear from you and hope everything worked out for the best!

• Posted

I have a chronic, very painful joint condition that affects every joint in my body (EDS-HMS). I've been on 2700mg gabapentin a day for 2 years (900mg/3x300mg capsules 3  times a day), along with various other 'old-fashioned' meds. I found gabapentin made me very snappy and irritable, I'm in a senior position at work and had a warning that I had become moody to my poor staff. So I went to the docs and he gave me a withdrawal programme like this: Take 2700mg a day one week, then x1800 a day next week, then 900mg a day the week after that, and then stop. Sod that!!

After reading numerous discussions about gaba w/ds, I decided to taper down by one x300mg capsule every four days. I'm now on 3 a day instead of 9, I take a multivitamin and magnesium citrate supplement (at least 3 hours after taking the gaba, I hasten to add) and so far, so good. My other pain meds help mask any extra aches I may have got from the gaba w/ds and the only w/d symptom I've had so far is a weird 'electric shock' feeling in my head sometimes, but this only lasts a millisecond.

I am feeling much less fatigued, more motivated, less delusional, more positive and less groggy in the morning, I can't wait to get off gaba completely, it's a demonic mind-warper and I'd rather stick to the old-fashioned pain meds, thanks. Good luck to everyone.

• Posted

What brand of magnesium supplement do you take ? It would really be of great help im trying to help with my withdrawals from gabapentin
  • Posted

EVERYBODY says get off Gab. but nobody has a "plan B" for what to take for siactic nerve pain from my butt to my feet!?

• Posted

Sorry James.  I had that real bad as well.  Ended up with two epidurals and a course of Bowen therapy. GB looks like a bad option.  
  • Posted

I'll have to look up what epadurials are.  And that Bowen thing is.  Thanks

• Posted

Hi I go to a Chiropractor for my sciatica my spinal stenosis and scoliosis and he has really helped my a lot. It might take time but I find that it helps. Its better than Gabapentin
  • Posted

He may have helped....and he may have not.  My siactica comes and goes on it's own.  I had it for a while in June  and for a while in September.  It's goes away after a while....my Dr. thought Gab. would help it along faster.  I get it again in late March.  The Gab.  I'm taking may help and it may not.  Really I would never know because it always goes away in time.  I was hoping the Gab. would have taken care of it by now...no luck.  My trip is starting on June 7....if I can walk.

• Posted

Hello. I’m happy I found this forum. I used gabapentin to assist in getting off of a long term opiate and I wasn’t told about withdrawls gabapentin itself causes. I have been taking 1800mg daily for almost 4 month. Iv begun lowering my dose this week and I experienced a very intense restless legs each night. I’m trying to remain optimistic but 1500mg is still rather high and iv got a ways to go. I had hoped I could just stop taking it since it’s only been 4 months. Thanks for sharing about the magnesium! Already take nature’s made magnesium capsule perhaps I’ll loo for something higher quality.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.