GASTRIC BAND

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hi all,

Im 4.5 stone over weight and im looking into getting a gastric band,

i may sound drastic but i have tried eveything and i cant seem to get anywhere, all i think about is food and weight it takes over my life and i have had enough,

Anyone on here had a gastric band and how has it changed things for you? are you happy you did it or do you regret it?

Thanks

2 likes, 300 replies

300 Replies

Next
  • Posted

im also looking into a gastric band and have had a consultation.  If you go ahead let me know, maybe we can support each other through it 
  • Posted

Hi Leanne

I have had an underactive thyroid since 1995 and my GP told me that I would never lose the extra weight that I had gained. Despite trying several diets nothing was successful......until last year I came across a great book called The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy (£7 on Amazon). As metabolism is the problem I tried it and lost 4 sones in 5 months, and I have never eaten so much!!!...a year later I am still slim.

Gastric band is so drastic and not without risks so please try this diet first.

Kind regards

Mandy

• Posted

I also have an underactive thyroid.  Thank you for the advice i will be getting this book to look at first.
  • Posted

I have booked a consultation for next Friday, I am still unsure but I have around 8 stone to lose!! 
    • Posted

Good luck with the consultation. I had mine on Saturday now booked in to get the band on the 31st. Eeeek!!
    • Posted

Excellent! Please keep me updated on how you get on! I would love to have a "band buddy" if i go ahead with op. If you dont mind me asking, what was it that made you have the final decision? Thanks 
    • Posted

I think it was a combination of things really. I'd been  to the hospital a a couple of years ago about it but backed out. But I've just got back from holiday and was so worried that the airplane seat belts wouldn't fit and when I was there I just felt awful, didn't want to be seen in my swimwear and was really breathless walking around. I got talking to a lady who had the band in June, and has already lost 3 stone and i just started the ball rolling again. 

I'm starting my liquid diet on the 14th ready for the band on the 31st so I'm doing liquids every other day at the mo just to ease myself into it. I'm really nervous and haven't told anyone other than 1 friend and HR at work 

• Posted

This is such a huge help! Thank you so much! I have been thinking about this for years now & sadly the weight has crept up even more over this time. I now need to lose at least 8st! 

I am anxious & I can have my op as soon as the 24/10 😬. I want to be fully prepared as I know it is going to be life changing & it needs my full dedication! I do not want to spend another year fat & miserable. 

I wish you all the best of luck on your journey to a better you xx

• Posted

Hello Amy,

Just thought I would say hello as I think we are having gastric bands a week apart?!

Mine is on the 24th October, how are you feeling? 

X

• Posted

O am booking mine for the 24th as well! 
  • Posted

Have you both completed this gastric band now ?  I a looking into it as I am 40 and my mum is obess and I am follow earring her footsteps how was your follow ups ?
    • Posted

I'm 40 and my mum is-obese aswell we in post 5 days and just on home made soups your blueberries shakes and juices and not been sick once but the and wind that gets trapped is the downfall. On my diet I would lose weight anyway I have 4wks till my first in fill think should really notice difference then more
  • Posted

Hello all!

I've been looking for a good forum for ages and I hope you don't mind me joining!

Just wondering if you have decided leanne08738?

Also amy45374, are you having your band 31st October?

I've got my gastric band Friday 24th October and I'm currently on the milk diet so it's quite nice to find a friendly forum with people is a similar position and stage to me!

:-)

• Posted

Hi, im booking my appointment tomorrow 😬 I have done as much research as possible, but I really wanted to talk to people who have & are going through the process. I don't know what quite to suspect with the recovery time & possible pain etc. That wasn't mentioned in my consultation? 

I am nervous but also excited on my new journey. 

• Posted

Hi!

I am pre op and I'm on the milk diet that has to be done 1-2 weeks before the op! 

I'm not too sure about pain afterwards but my mum has had a gastric band 8 years ago and she said as far as she can remember it's not too painful as it's key hole.

I asked about recovery time, I'm a nurse in a hospital and my consultant said I should be ok to go back after 1 week, which I found scary! He then said 1-2 weeks!

I'm quite anxious about the pain level as this will be the biggest op I've had!

So you have had your consultation and are booking surgery date tomorrow? 

• Posted

I wanted to book it whilst at the consultation, but they said go away & sleep on it. I do not want to leave it any longer as I have been thinking about it for years now & time is not on my side. I have 7.5 stone to lose!! 

I am mostly scared of the pain after as I read on another forum what to expect afterwards & it sounds quite painful. I can only book a week off work, but I have a desk job, so im hoping ill be ok? 

How has your mum got on after all these tears? 

Thanks

• Posted

When was your consultation?

Sounds similar to me, as soon as I had decided, I made the consultation and came away with a date as I had my mind set and as you say, if you've made up your mind then you might as well go for it! 

Well when I researched the majority of places say 1-2 weeks recovery depending on what you do. I think if you do office work then a week would be ok and you could see how u get on. I think if you speak to the surgeons secretary when you make a date and ask about recovery time then you will know as I am not an expert! Hehe

Lucky you with 7.5 stone! I've got atleast 10!! 

My mum has done really well, she just wishes she had done it younger at my age, I think she lost about 10+ stone and has kept it off with the band intact! Touch wood! 

X

• Posted

I had mine on friday! I can book op for 24/10 as well!!! 

I dont want to leave it any longer & I want to give it 100% & hopefully this time next year be a few stone lighter, happier & healthier! 

They told me some patients lose upto 50-60lbs in as little as 5 months!! 

I am going to do my pre op food shop tmro... I was told 850cals a day & it doesn't have to be liquids!? But ill stick to shakes & soups to be on the safe side. 

Your mum sounds like she has done really well!! I hope "we" get the same success!! 

• Posted

Oh wow, tomorrow we will be able to say its next week!!

I think the pre op diet is different for many people, depends of the surgeon and your weight as to what they tell you to do!

Lucky you, I'm only allowed;

4 pints of semi skimmed milk

1 pint of stock 

1 pint of water

And a sachet of sugar free jelly a day!!

Make sure you take lots of before and after pics as you will never be this size ever again! :-)

• Posted

I know!!! I hate having my picture taken! I just hate it, but of course I need those"before" pictures to remind myself why I  doing this & never going back there!!! 

Maybe take regular pictures monthly. 

• Posted

Yes I hate my photo too! 

Make sure you take multi vitamin and multi minerals as of ASAP!! 

I'm taking the centrum advance which is a combined vitamin and mineral! 

• Posted

ok! Thanks for that! ill add vits to my shopping list! I have only told a selected few people & only two people from work 😬 

Best of luck! Feel free to msg me anytime xx

• Posted

Thank you and you aswell, message anytime!

Ahhh don't say that! Do you think we will be sick a lot? :-(

• Posted

Yes I have only told minimal people aswell!

X

• Posted

Yes! It is very common in the first two or more weeks! I guess your body getting use to things & settling down. I have ordered some travel sickness bags & thanks again for the advice on vitamins! I will stock up & start to take from tomorrow. 

I will msg you once i have booked op tomorrow! It seems so final. 

Best of luck xx

• Posted

Urgh I hate being sick! 

Ok keep me posted :-) x

• Posted

hey Rebecca, yeah I've got my op on the 31st, I've gotta do three weeks pre op diet but may doc has said two slim fasts a day and a small meal so the dietician has sent me a full list and weight amounts of each food :-) I did three days of slim fast before they told me and I thought I was gonna be sick lol
    • Posted

Oh god! Liquids only is horrible!

I'm on the milk diet;

4 pints of semi skimmed milk

1 pint of stock (which I hate!) 

1 pint of water 

And a sachet of sugar free jelly a day!

It's gross but got to be done! 

It's going to come round so quickly ahhhhhh! I've got so much weight to lose and I can't wait! X

• Posted

Is thst hot water &

a stick cube? Are cuppa soups ok? 

• Posted

Yes stock cube and hot water yuck! I can't day and gravy at all so I am struggling with it! 

But if your allowed 850 calories then use them! If you'd of needed to be on liquids only then they would of said, so make the most of it! :-) I'm very jealous. Hehe 

X

• Posted

Well I am going fo do porridge & fruits & be quite strict as its liquids for at least two weeks after & another forum I looked at said that recovery & pain can be effected by your diet before hand etc. 
    • Posted

The more we lose this side the less we have to lose on the other side!

We can do this!! X

• Posted

Yes! We will start as we mean to go on!!! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.