GASTRIC BAND

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hi all,

Im 4.5 stone over weight and im looking into getting a gastric band,

i may sound drastic but i have tried eveything and i cant seem to get anywhere, all i think about is food and weight it takes over my life and i have had enough,

Anyone on here had a gastric band and how has it changed things for you? are you happy you did it or do you regret it?

Thanks

2 likes, 300 replies

300 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was 5 stone overweight and the pain was so bad from Athritis I am taking Morphine. I went to see a doctor privately for a gastric band and was told a bypass would be better suited to me as it stops the cravings. Three weeks later I had the gastric bypass (22nd April 2014) I lost ten and a half pounds in one week and the weight has fell off every week. I can't eat properly as after a few mouthfuls I get terrible pain in my 'stomach'. I now have bad skin, spliting nails, hair loss and I'm so tired some days I can't get out of bed. The bypass stopped all my hunger pains so now I have to force myself to eat. I'm sure I'm also lacking in vital vitimins even though I take a multi vitimin every day. It has eased my pain but replaced it with a lot more problems. Think about it carefully and stick to a band - at least that can be reversed.
  • Posted

Good Luck to those having their op today.  Remember to keep us all informed on how your doing?  side effects tips you can pass on to help>  Any info greatly appreciated x 
    • Posted

My op is less then 24 hours away 😁😁
    • Posted

Good luck hun x will be thinking of you x I know it will go well x 
    • Posted

Remember your not alone x Its a big decision but im sure its the right one x good luck x 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for kind words x 
    • Posted

Hi!

I am alive & feeling good!

Had my surgery at just after 11 today!

Came in to hospital, they did the usual blood pressure etc. Met anaesthetist and consultant did consent form etc.

Had to walk into the theatre and lie on the operating table which I must admit, petrified me! But didn't look around too much! 

Took a while for them to knock me out which panicked me slightly and I kept telling them 'I'm still awake, please don't do anything!' Lol

Post op, finished about 1, don't remember much until after 3 as I was very sleepy! 

Little pain when I was with it, but morphine and anti sickness sorted me out. Feeling ok now, just uncomfortable to move and a little light headed when I do so but so much better than I thought! 

Can't think of anything In particular to help anyone but it's honestly not as bad as you think!! Will update with any tips I find!

Good luck for tomorrow kb! It's such a nice feeling when it's over!

My first question when I came round, was, 'is it done?!' And then asked what my liver looked like!! Hehe xx

• Posted

OMG so happy to hear from you so soon!!! Glad it went really well! I feel like I am not prepared..... Your journey is on the way..... Keep me posted as much as you can & thank you so much for your encouragement & support  xxx 
    • Posted

That's ok!

You will be so nervous tomorrow but you will be fine!! It's really not as bad a I had thought! Worse bit for me was the anxiousness while waiting! & the fact that I wasn't allowed to wear knickers!! Hehe

Also I asked a few questions....

I am allowed to wear a bra because of my scar positioning.

I don't have to inject myself.

I can drive when I feel up to it, after 48 hours.

I was allowed to stay in as I was a bit dizzy every time I went to toilet and was pale!

Just had soup and yoghurt!!

X

• Posted

So your ok to eat?? How does it feel? I really hope I can wear a a bra 😁 i do need to go out at some point!! 

So glad that it all went well! I know il be so scared & very anxious! I will take magazines & my phone! xx 

• Posted

Yes had soup and yoghurt!

So nice!

Not convinced they did anything to me as it's really quite comfortable, just keep on top of the meds!!

I've got stockings on and inflating stockings on, on top!! 

Try not to worry! It's easy for me to say, but I really don't know what I was worried about! 

Nurses are very nice here which is a bonus!! 

Good luck 

X

• Posted

If it is any consolation, I had keyhole surgery last year for gallbladder issues and the pain afterwards was not that bad. I took cocodamol for 5 days then after that didn't need anything so I hope you all have a similar experience.

Best of luck.

L

• Posted

Thank you! You lot have really reassured me! Xx
    • Posted

What time

Is your op tomorrow?

Good luck, keep me posted when you can xx

• Posted

12 noon! My admission is 7am though! So lots of waiting around! x
    • Posted

Hello, how are you feeling today? I am currently in the hospital. Signed my life away.... been seen by everyone & ill be ready to go down to surgery @8.30.... not 12! So that is less then 20 minutes from now 😁 feel quite calm but I am sooooooo scared deep down. 

• Posted

You will be absolutely fine!!

Just a little bit sore but as to be expected! Just had a doctor come and prod me in the stomach so that hasn't helped!

Are you staying in for the night? Or depending how you feel after?

Wow a very early surgery but at least you won't have to wait around getting more anxious!! 

Hope it goes well for you x

• Posted

I am so nervous now!! I would prefer to stay in! We will see. I have never been so scared & nervous!! 

Thanks.... wish me luck xx

• Posted

Just lay it on thick if you don't feel like going home! They can't make you leave is what they told me!

However I was very dizzy and pale every time I got up and that's when the consultant came in and told me to stay in!! 

I have four incisions on 1 side and 1 on the other!! Not what I was expecting but who knows! 

Good luck, you will be fine! 

Keep me posted when you can xx

• Posted

The room is nice & comfortable. I will be having four as well.... I wish someone had come with me now x 

I hope ill be able to msg you later! 

Rest up xx 

Just think this time next year 😃

• Posted

My mum came with me but to be honest, afterwards I was out of it!! 

Best of luck & hope to hear from you soon 

😊 x

• Posted

Also expect lots if wind pains and you can get referred pain in your chest/shoulders!

I'm sure they will tell you though, if it happens just mention it to them but apparently is quite normal!

X

• Posted

Hello! Im alive!! I feel absolutely fine!! Cried a bit before hand; whilst waiting 20 long agonising minutes in theatre! But it all went well, ive taken pain relief drugs... which have finally kicked in! A bit of pain & discomfort in tummy area but nothing major.

I will be able to go home at 10pm so im just realxing & feeling positive! I was so scared & anxious & now it is all over!! And now my weight journey starts HERE & NOW. 

Thank you so much for your constant support & encouragement!

Lets keep each other posted of our journeys to success xx

• Posted

So glad to hear from you!! Glad it went well!

How are you feeling? Have you been up a lot?

Are you getting picked up and looked after when your home?

Yes I found the theatre part very overwhelming, did u have to walk in and get on the operating table?

X

• Posted

Im ok, slight discomfort in tummy area & my throat is a bit sore?? I walked in, but waited outside for what felt like ages as they prepared room. 

Nurses are lovely & very supportive. My best friend is here & taking me home.

My partner & mum will be on hand for when I am home. I have a BAG full of meds.... to take for 2 weeks!!!

Jabs & depositories 😁 pain killers etc.

I can only have clear liquids today/nite.

Not feeling hungry? Last meal was yesterday @7ish.

How are you today? x  

• Posted

Good, my nurses were very nice aswell!

Oh I'm sure you will get on with the jabs just fine, I had to have one in my arm! 

Yes I'm not hungry either! I had a yoghurt at hospital this morning, and now I'm having some soup! I thought I would be starving!

I've slept a lot today! Have u?

Glad you will be looked after! 

Have you any pain in your chest or shoulders? X

• Posted

My left shoulder feels a bit weird? nighling pain. My tummy hurts the most, just on one of the incisions: i have four spread out.

Having a smoothie now. Feel relaxed, but not sleepy.

It does hurt when i get on & off bed, so no sudden movements!     

Been told to keep active & NO bed rest! 

• Posted

Thanks so much for posting your journey so far on here. I'm having mine in 6 days and absolutely shaking with nerves.

I've done 3weeks pre op diet and lost 1 stone 7 so far. 

• Posted

Yes same, I've got bad chest pain which is aswell as the tummy pain! 

Don't know why I've ended up with 5 incisions! Ones rather large where the port is! 

Yes I've been told to keep active aswell! It's hard because I'm so tired! But can't stay in one position for too long!! 

I don't know about you but I'm so happy it's over!! Surgery wise! 

Are you homeyet? X

• Posted

That's very good well done you! 

Was this the milk diet? It's tough so hang on in there! 

You will get more nervous each day but just try and think of why you are going through with it and that it won't be as bad as you think it's going to be x

• Posted

I am finally home! Just having my dissolvable paracetamol! I find it hard getting up & down when sitting, slight pain in shoulder, but I am ok for now!

Hope i manage to sleep, feel tired.

Did you wake up in pain? x  

• Posted

Thats ok! These posts have kept me going! 

I will of course keep you all posted! 

1.7 stone!! 😀 that is so amazing!!! Well done you! Your journey has a good head start!! You will be absolutely fine!! It was so nerve wrecking for me & I kept thinking "should I really be doing this" but im the other side of it now & it was no where nearly as bad as i thought. 

I am only a few hours in, but ill post as much as I can!! I will prob end up boring you all ☺

• Posted

I can home to a cute little egg timer in post! Its from my clinic! So i can time my mouthfuls! 
    • Posted

Glad you are doing well!! 

Not doing too well today!! Painkillers aren't touching the pain at all so my mum is going to pick up some new ones for me! Bit emotional today but probably because of the pain! Need to have a shower today but at the moment I'm not sure how on earth I'm going to do that today!

Did you have a good nights sleep? Xxx

• Posted

Oh no! You poor thing!! Where is the pain? What pain killers were you given? 

Hope you feel better soon. 

I asked for water proof bandages which cover up the original bandages, so i was sble to have a shower. 

They forgot to give me extra flight socks. 

I went out earlier but im now home taking easy. 

Hope new pain killers work for you xx

• Posted

What a day!

I had co-codamol but ones that dissolve in water which kept making me gag!!! Which hurt even more!

I then got a different type of dissolvable stuff which did the same but were stronger!

I have just got back from the hospital as they have given me tramadol tablets which have really helped so I'm comfortable in bed!

I think I just let the pain build up too much and didn't drink all of the pain relief I should of! 

I've had a shower and feel better for it so hopefully it's onwards & upwards!! 

Glad your getting on ok! 

Have you eaten anything? Xx

• Posted

your poor thing! Where is the pain? Out of all my meds the dissolvable paracetol four times a day has to be the worst!! 

its disgusting. 

I still have no appetite? yesterday I had two slim shakes & a cupa soup. 

Glad the pain in controllable now. xx

I cant seem to sleep well? Very anxious & restless? Not sure why? 

• Posted

Morning!

The pain is on the left side where my port is and 3 other incisions! 

Had some tramadol last night, I think I just let the pain get on top of me as I wasn't doing well with drinking the horrible dissolvable stuff! 

This morning I'm feeling a lot better and so far I've only had a voltarol! I don't know what was wrong with me yesterday, I was so emotional! Sorry I was being negative!

No I'm not hungry either actually! I'm scared! Lol I was a little sick last night, I had a little soup and then went to bed so I think it was too soon to lie down! Either that or the strong meds! 

Oh why do u think you are anxious? Are you uncomfortable? Xx

• Posted

I am glad its all sorted! What a relief! Did you have to go A&E? 

I dont know? I just toss & turn trying to get comfortable. 

Pain on left side is ok now when I lay down now, I just feel strange? 

I have never ever in my life never felt not hungry, lol. I feel bloated & full. 

I didn't manage my night time paracetamol, it made me gagg....

The jabs to tummy are ok, but a little sore to area where i did it, strangely my legs hurt & feel bruised??   

• Posted

No A&E, luckily my hospital where I had it done is only 5 minutes up the road, and my lovely mum has been sorting it all out for me! She's a star! 

I'm still sleeping on my back! I've got a big square pillow keeping my sort of up right and then a normal pillow across the top of that to cushion my head! Haven't attempted to sleep on my side! 

If you were like me you would of been pumped full of gases which make me feel bloated still! I don't feel hungry either, it's so strange! Maybe we are nervous! 

Glad the jabs aren't too bad, I'm

Surprised you have to do them in your tummy seeing as that's where the surgery was! 

My legs feel funny to, just really heavy!! X

• Posted

I made sure I choose a hospital  that was nearest to me! Do you think I could go back to get more bits? They forgot to give me more flight socks & I could do with more water proof bandages! lol 

I had my 1st jab in my arm @hospital, but was told it has to be done in tummy area inches away from belly button. 

Was you given suppositories? 

The most pain is on my left side where port hole must be. 

I didn't manage to go for a walk yesterday, but i will make an attempt today. xx

• Posted

Yes definitely go back! Phone and get out through to the nurses station and say what you need, if your struggling with the dissolvable tablets, let them know and see if they have alternative! 

No suppositories! I did ask about the jabs but they said that because of my age I should be fine and just to wear the stockings and walk around! 

I just walked up the road to meet my mum before work with my tablets! I can't believe how tiring it is! 

I'm feeling loads better today thank goodness!

Now for some angel delight! 

X

• Posted

I've just treated myself to a 'go chef' 8 in 1 cooker!  I really wanted a slow cooker and this thing seems to do everything! My mum says she doesn't like cooking as much since she only eats a little and finds the slow cooker a god send! 

I've also brought a recipe book for life after weight loss surgery! Lots of recipes with low fat and high protein meals for gastric banders! Il let you know if it's any good! X

• Posted

What an excellent idea!! I will ring ahead & hopefully they can have bits ready.? 

I didn't know such books existed? Sounds great, what is it called? I know I'll be eating allot more homemade soups in time & juicing soon. 

I need to go throug my post op notes. I feel like I'm on loads meds.... I wasn't told this at consultation. 

Thanks so much for all your helpful info and advice xx

• Posted

Yes they should be able to get it all ready for you, are you going in or can someone pick it up for you? Only go if you feel up to it! But it is nice to get up and about! 

This book is called - eating well after weight loss surgery. It's a white book with a little portion of what looks like chicken/fish on it?! I ordered it from amazon! Should be with me in the next week! There are others if you just type in life with a gastric band or gastric band recipes or something similar!

Just had a nurse phone me! She asked about what I was eating etc, she said I need more protein in my diet! I've just been having tomato soup and yoghurts! What have u been having? She told me to buy some bene fiber which I've just brought online and will be here by the morning! 

She also said that appetite returns within the first week once the inflammation calms down from the stomach! Xx

• Posted

I will probably go, but not today. 

I have googled some books & I see that one as well as another! Thanks. 

Energy levels are low... No nurse has called me!? I have had shakes & soups only! Thought that was all I was allowed?? 

I will ill look up the stuff you ordered. I think it might be worth me calling the clinic. All info they gave me was by email. So I can't just gown& refer to it when ever I feel like it. 

I will order books in time for mush food stage x

• Posted

Yes me to! Before the op I thought I was well prepared but it didn't say you were supposed to have a certain type of soup or anything! She just recommended adding blended chicken or lentils to soup, that sort of thing. Yes it does have to still be soup etc but tomato soup for example doesn't have any protein in apparently! 

Yes no rush with the books, I've just been bored and online shopping is my downfall! I saw that 8 in 1 slow cooker thing on the tv advert and ended up buying it as it's payday! I just can't help myself!! 

I think the benefibre is because I haven't opened my bowels yet! Too much information I know, but I don't want you to think you have to buy it! 

X

• Posted

I have just ordered the books off ebay. I also got " weight loss surgery with the adjustable gastric band" everything you need to know..... . 

There red can never be to much info..... I just went to loo.... Don't feel any better for it! I am just scared my appetite will come back with a vengeance! 

I don't know if it is me? But the notes on removing dressings is not clear? 

Just having a cuppa soup.... Will see if I can start to juice, as at least that's all healthy fruit & veggies! X

• Posted

The book sounds good, let me know what you think! 

Yes I just read instructions and it says remove dressings after 7 Days?!? That's it!! 

Be careful that all that fruit and veg doesn't bind you up! 

I'm just having sweet potato, chilli and coconut soup, it's yum! 

My friend is delivering me some lentil soup later! Xx

• Posted

Just had another nurse phone to see if I was ok! I asked about the dressings and this is the advice she gave to me, but obviously everyone is different!

I'm to take the waterproof dressings off on Friday, and if the steri-strips stay on to leave them on and they will come off on their own! 

She said to peel the corner off and dampen the waterproof dressing because they can blister the skin if you do it too fast etc x

• Posted

How are you doing today?

Did you get your stuff from the hosp?

X

• Posted

Hello, thanks for asking. 

Not to good. They said they would send me some in the post but there is no point as i have water proof ones that i can use for now.

I had a shower earlier & tried my hardest not to get them wet, but my wounds now feel a little irretated! Cant not sleep to well at night, so napping. in the day... which isn't ideal.

Liquids only is so dull...... so having a bit of s bad day! 

How are you xx

• Posted

Oh that's not good, what about the stockings? 

I'm ok thanks, keep napping in the day aswell! Keep feeling sick the last couple of days :-( 

Can't wait to have proper food! I feel so empty! 

X

• Posted

My tummy is constantly rumbling & i have lots of wind 🙈 I hsve a horrible feeling and taste at back of my throat! 

I took my stockings off earlier to wash & put them back on after my shower. 

I am still in bed!! Was supposed to be going to the cinema, bur i dont feel up to it now. 

Have not bren for my walk today.

Hows about you??

• Posted

I can't work out whether I am hungry or full! I'm so paranoid that I will have too much but I don't think I'm having enough! 

I haven't been out today just walking around the house and sleeping really! 

Very bored actually! X

• Posted

I have more or less the same wach day... shake, yogurt, cuppa soup & a soup. 

Feel bad for laying around, but don't feel up to much. 

Want to fel normal!! 

• Posted

Yes me to! 

I just want to be thin & now! Lol

I actually miss work! When do u go back? X

• Posted

I know lol! I am looking at magazines & thinking... will i be able to wear that? 

I am back on the 5th!! I just need sime motivation. Its been so sunny & clear for past two days. 

• Posted

We will be able to wear whatever we like sooner or later! 

I go back to work on the 10th, I'm nervous actually, although I'm super bored and want to be there already! X

• Posted

Tomorrow is a new day, i need to go supermarket & get bits anyway. 

I am bored & have little motivation x

• Posted

Hello, 

how are you getting on? Have you taken your bandages off yet? I am now day 5 so I think mine can come off..... But I'm scared. 

Energy levels are a bit low, but I've planned a day out with my mum & kids & I will try my best & go, hopefully I'll be ok? 

I need to start making my own soups.... Need more variation. 

Hope your doing well xx

• Posted

Morning!

I was just thinking I should message on here today! 

Yes I'm ok thank you, feel like I'm getting somewhere with the pain today! Just can't laugh or cough too much! Still can't lie on my side but apart from that all is well!

My notes say don't take off until 7 days so I will probably take them off after a shower tomorrow, I don't really want to see them to be honest! 

That would be good, a day out with the family! 

I'm thinking maybe cinema next week! 

I had some mash potato last night, only a tiny bit and it was so good! My diet plan said week 1 I could have a little mash and mashed veg and I've only just felt up to having a little mash! 

Next week, well from Saturday! I can have half a jacket potato with tuna, or a 1 egg omelette or 3-4 tablespoons of mince casserole, like bolagnese or something! So I'm focusing on that as not far to go!

What can you have next week? Xx

• Posted

Yes, I hope I will feel ok. Still a bit uncomfortable. 

The water proof bandages are itchy! 

I was was told liquids only for TWO weeks!! I even called & asked if I could have a milky porridge & was told no, not before my two weeks. 

I am not even a week in on the liquids only. 

I will call clinic today anyway & ask about my bandages. 

I look forward ward to making & preparing proper meals. 

I have my first band fill booked for 9/12!! 

• Posted

I can have these things but make them a bit sloppier! And just use common sense I guess!

You will probably feel better after a day out, just take it easy, that's what your time off work is for after all! 

Yeah my dressings are getting itchy to, it's nice to itch around them! I really want a nurse to take them off and check them for me though!! Hehe 

I've got an appointment with the dietician and then my fill both on the 21/11 ahhhh!

I'm quite scared about the fill! 

Do you think post op it was more painful than you thought? 

Xx

• Posted

Post op was not that bad, I thought I'd be laid up in bed doubled up up in pain. 

But I'm ok... Still on most of my meds but today should be finally day. 

Can our stockings come off now? 

I would prefer a nurse nurse to take my bandages off.... The bruising and stitches look scary! 

I have aves heard fills are not painful... But it's still an injection, which I bet will hurt & finding the porthole etc.... Scary. 

• Posted

Yes me to regarding post op pain, although I thought I would be off meds by now, but find I'm still relying on them! I am allowed to take a tramadol 4 times a day but have cut it down to 3 a day and will slowly cut it down! 

This time last week I was mentally preparing myself for tomorrow! I haven't been that scared in a long time!! But well worth it! 

I was told I've got to wear stockings for 2 weeks until I'm back to work and running around like a lunatic again! 

I think il take dressings off tomorrow and if I'm concerned at all I shall go back in as it's only up the road!! Xx

• Posted

No way.... Stockings on for two weeks!! 

Are you still in so much pain? I feel ok... Not 100% by any means. 

I am goin to call my clinic in a bit. 

• Posted

Not so much pain but it's still uncomfortable!

Yes stockings for 2 weeks ahhhhh!

X

• Posted

I called my nurse & was told I mist keep bandages on for 10 days & stockings on for 2 weeks! I did ask if a soar pair could be sent, as they are posting more bandages out to me.

I definitely want/need a shower TODAY!

I signed up to my clinics online forum.... interesting..... allot of the post banders have spoke about joining weight loss clubs..? which seems to dfeat the object of having a band? 

Well... I never made it to the park, my youngest is not to well. I am suffering from cabin fever at the moment.

Allot of my going out/socialising was mainly based around food! 😁 apart from the Gym I need to find new hobbies!!

Just enjoying yet another soup 🍵

• Posted

Have you showered yet?

I won't be spending more money by joining a class, if I need to I will refer back to the books I've for from all my 10272920 diets I've tried in the past! I know what I should and shouldn't eat and portions was my problem so I think I will go it alone! 

10 days for the dressings! 

Yes I would say ALL of my socialising was eating and drinking! But when we are at the weight we want it will so insignificant!

Xx

• Posted

I'm just having soup!

Chicken, sausage and red pepper soup! Sounds horrible but it's really nice although blended! Xx

• Posted

I have had 2... I was advised to wrap my tummy in cling film... lol! 

Bit i had spare dressings & now I have run out! Post in my area is slow as it is, so I wont get them in the pist until saturday at a push! 

Joing a slimming class with a band seems like an expensive joke!! 

I would never have considered surgery if slimming classes were so effective for me. 

I look forward to my two new books & I am sure once I get over my first few hurdles, I hope healthy choices & portion control will all come easily..... xx

• Posted

Yes I think so!

I wonder if they joined classes straight away?! 

I got my books today & my slow cooker hehe 

Did you get the same book as me? X

• Posted

sounds yummy!! I will give homemade soups a real go!!
    • Posted

Yes I did!! I did somthing on an advert about a cooker that does it all... looked very good! Let me know how you get on with yours! x. 
    • Posted

Hi girls I'm sandra form manchester I've just booked a gb for the 18th nov I have booked 2 days off work  do you think that's long enuff I'm 15  st 6 
    • Posted

What type of work do you do? It can all depend on your recovery, but two days is not allot! You will be on medication, feeling sore & tired. 

A week at the very least. 

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Well done on making the commitment! It will be so worth it!

Ermmm I'm not sure about 2 days really, I personally wouldn't of been able to go back after 2 days! I think I would of been ok to go back after a week. 

At 2 days I was so sleepy and quite uncomfortable. But everyone heals differently. I must say post op wasn't as bad as I thought but I think 2 days isn't giving yourself much chance in my opinion!

What does your surgeon say? X

• Posted

Plus your not allowed to drive for atleast 48 hours because of the general and then not until you can comfortably get in and out the car and safely do an emergency stop without hurting yourself! 

I'm 8 days and haven't driven yet but I feel I would be able to today if I need to x

• Posted

Hope you've had a good day! 

I'm feeling pretty good today!

Steri strips are starting to come off ahh! They are allowed to but I want to keep them on! 

X

• Posted

I only do a job at on my bum all day anyway I'm a recruitment. Consultant 
    • Posted

From experience I don't think you will be up to it.

What does your surgeon say? X

• Posted

I am a recruitment consultant for the Construstion so only do 5 days a week and I'm completely healthy anyway just overweight I'm paying private for this operation so I think they will hv am up and about as soon. As they can I am in manchester and the hospital is in bromsgrove but will be given refills local to where I live in manchester for up to 2 years. And got 3 months cover I paid 5 k hope I got a good deal what do u think did any of u go private x

• Posted

Nhs or private do encourage you to get up and about but I still think 2 days is quite short but u can always see how you go.

I'm a dental nurse in a hospital and I have got 2 weeks off! 

Yes I went private to and I'm pretty sure kb did aswell.

I'm healthy other than my weight but it doesn't change recovery time lol but if your surgeon is happy with 2 days then he or she knows best!!

X

• Posted

Hello! I have a part time office job, which is very low impact, but you might feel sore & tender after or rven a bit tired/low energy from pre/post op diet. 

They do say at least 2 weeks recovery, I was up & about the day after, but i was nit fit for work. 

I paid privately & I live in central london. 

I have the same kind of package as you. 

First fill is booked for 9/12! xx

• Posted

So how many days had it been since you had op. Hv  you weighed urself to see if you hv dropped weight already I'm not worried about pain I'm just paranoid it won't work lol
    • Posted

Had the op fri 24th, so 9 days! 

I lost 2.2 stone on pre op diet in 2 weeks, have u got to do this aswell? I had to do the milk diet!

The gastric band will work,if you work with it and have done your research and listen to the advice and follow the rules you will be fine!

My mind set on food has already changed.

My feeling is, if you go through the op and pay all that money to have it done then you need to make it work! I will make it work!

I'm sure you can to! We can support each other.

X

• Posted

I had my op last saturday & i went on a pre op diet 7 days before & was limited to 850 cals a day. 

I wiill not lie, it has not been easy for me. Liquids only is quite dull & it is such a contrast to what i previously ate. 

I want to give this my ALL & get to goal & stay there! I have not weighed myself as yet, as I have the most rubbish scales that I can just about stand on! But clothes are looser & I will go to Argos tomorrow & invest in a decent pair & let you know. I was told not to obsess with weighing myself, once a week maximum! 

Good Luck xx Always here to help! 

• Posted

I had my op last saturday & i went on a pre op diet 7 days before & was limited to 850 cals a day. 

I wiill not lie, it has not been easy for me. Liquids only is quite dull & it is such a contrast to what i previously ate. 

I want to give this my ALL & get to goal & stay there! I have not weighed myself as yet, as I have the most rubbish scales that I can just about stand on! But clothes are looser & I will go to Argos tomorrow & invest in a decent pair & let you know. I was told not to obsess with weighing myself, once a week maximum! 

Good Luck xx Always here to help! 

• Posted

Yes me to! Going to weigh myself on the proper scales at work when I go back!

Hope you've had a good day! 

X

• Posted

That is such an amazing achievement!!! 

Well done, you are more then well on your way!!!! xxx

• Posted

Thank you! This was from the time I started the milk diet on 9th October to the surgery date 24th! 

Haven't weighed myself yet but will when I get back to wrk!

Like you I can tell I've lost weight by my clothes, I can also start seeing my collar bones! And my bingo wings look smaller!

It's such a nice feeling! Each day I think to myself, this is the fattest I'm ever going to be!

Bring it on! 

X

• Posted

Help!

I've got massive cravings for macaroni cheese! And crisps today! 

My appetite is definitely back!

Hope your ok xx

• Posted

Im okish...... I really want real food as well! 

So looking forward to mashed food this saturday!!! I will have a scrambled eggs 😃

I wanted to cry when my partner got a chinese takeaway on Friday!! lol! 

• Posted

Im okish...... I really want real food as well! 

So looking forward to mashed food this saturday!!! I will have a scrambled eggs 😃

I wanted to cry when my partner got a chinese takeaway on Friday!! lol! 

• Posted

I shouldn't complain as I'm already on mash kind of food! Just having some mash potato now but I just a weakness earlier for crisps!

I'm over it now! Phew!

Macaroni cheese however I will always love! Never normally have it but I want some and wonder when I can!

Sorry not helping but no-one else understands! 

Chinese take away, ooooh that's mean :-( well done u xx

• Posted

How have you been the last few days? 

Are you back at work?

X

• Posted

Hello, I am ok, back at work 😕 but feel fine, how are you? Bandages & support sicks now off? How was that? x 
    • Posted

Glad work is ok😊

I took bandages off last Friday and they are ok thanks, have you taken yours off? 

Got a trapped nerve in my back which is also in my thigh which is more painful than post op!!!! Lol but apart from that I am feeling really good!

Looking forward to going back to work actually! 

X

• Posted

All mine will be off by saturday! I am scared of the possible wounds underneath! 😁 

Hope ill be ok with my eating once my diet is more varied. 

• Posted

Will you be ok to go back to work with a trapped nerve? x Sounds painful! 
    • Posted

Mine are looking so much better than when I took the dressings off! They are less lumpy and angry looking! 

They are now scabbing!! 

I think you will feel a lot more positive and more energy when you start eating more variety! Are you still on liquids? What have they advised you to have after the liquid phase? Xx

• Posted

Yes it is very painful but actually more painful sitting down in same position for a period of time. And also getting up from sitting down!

But my job I am mainly always on my feet so I think I shall be fine! Just got a burning sensation in my leg! Very strange!

X

• Posted

It's been 3 weeks and since my op have only lost have a stone  it depressing me waiting for the fill. The said I would get one before Xmas and now there saying I got wait until 6 th of jan.   I van eat normal food already  seem like everyone else is losing weight rapidly except mesoooo fedddd up.  Need advice     This is the hospital group who r messing me around as well.   I email the lady who sold me the deal and said to her I booked in when I did cause you said I would get a fill in dec.     feel like she miss sold to me and I've been mugged off. Soooooo. Got to wait a answer whats you advice girls 

• Posted

If it's any help I have already had my fill and can hardly tell the difference! They do it gradually as they say it's more effective so please don't feel too far behind! 

If you can eat a lot just try and have 20 mouthfuls and stop as that is more realistic of what the band would be like when at the right level.

After my first fill the man told me that I may not lose a lot of weight at this stage. My next fill is 19th December.

Try and look at the positives, you are doing so well. 

Maybe try eat a healthier diet and do the 20 mouthfuls and see how you get on.

Remember it is still early days for all of us, we will be drop dead gorgeous before you know it! X

• Posted

Hi, had mine 4 weeks tomorrow and have only lost 2lbs despite not having more than 1000kcals a day. They keep telling me this is normal and I'm still healing? Also because of Xmas can't have a fill until January 4th. Had I been told this might happen I would have stayed on my diet which I was doing really well on and had the band done after Xmas! Am staying positive though as today I am the heaviest I will ever be!!
    • Posted

Any weight loss is a positive and sometime it may show more if you measure yourself.

I felt a bit down about my loss and measured myself and in total have lost inches everywhere - 14 in total! So that may be worth doing to boost you both.

That's what I keep thinking - never again will I be this fat! 

How much are you planning to lose?

Maybe you can have an extra potato at Christmas this year than you will be able to next year! Positive spin! X

• Posted

I think you are right, my clothes do feel a bit loser although I haven't measured myself. Will start doing so. I have 31\2 stone to lose but not really bothered about the scales its how I feel! How about you? Oh and does this shoulder pain ever go? It seems to come when I eat.x
    • Posted

my fills not till 10th Jan because of christmas and new year, but im thinking perhaps this will be to my advantage as i will be able to eat that bit more on christmas day in front of friends and family so it wont be too obvious I have had the band fitted, I'll still be saying ive picked all day hence why not eating much but at least it will help me tell my little white lie!  I think if you havent too much to lose it is slower for us to lose weight which is why it is more difficult to lose at the beginning.  I think that gas is still there slowly subsiding which i think must also slow us down at first.  Possibly due to not eating too much the first couple of days our bodies will have gone into shut down and stopped losing us weight.  Look on the bright side.  Any loss is a bonus and we will get there eventually x 
    • Posted

i've noticed on other forums that damn shoulder pain hangs around for about a month - and even then can come back every time we eat - we must gulp in air as we take a mouthful! hopefully it will subside - get the windeze tablets in to chew - worked wonders for me - also - weirdly someone said to move your arms in windmill motions to help although not sure if that works or not! xx
    • Posted

As I haven't told anyone apart from my mum I know what you mean about the advantage of not having the band fill yet. Thanks for tips on dealing with shoulder pain, will try it all x

• Posted

Yes as long as you can feel your clothes getting looser! 

Shoulder pain went after 2 weeks for me. If it's just when you are eating maybe you are eating too fast or too bigger mouthfuls? Do you think this could be the case? Or maybe it is just taking longer to leave for you!

It will go don't you worry! Maybe take some gaviscon or something similar as it is wind related x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.