GASTRIC BAND

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hi all,

Im 4.5 stone over weight and im looking into getting a gastric band,

i may sound drastic but i have tried eveything and i cant seem to get anywhere, all i think about is food and weight it takes over my life and i have had enough,

Anyone on here had a gastric band and how has it changed things for you? are you happy you did it or do you regret it?

Thanks

2 likes, 300 replies

300 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi leane , im sure i could help you become fit and healthy and get you  to the weight you desire
  • Posted

I had band 4 years ago and had to have it removed 18 months ago as it had erroded into my stomach. I am due to have sleeve op on 18th Nov and have researched so, so much. Quite a few band patients have had to have the sleeve after complications with the band - talk to your surgeon about the sleeve before going ahead.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hello, I am so sorry to hear that. 

What exactly happened? Did you experience severe pain? 

Whar signs did you have? 

• Posted

Pain started whenever I ate or drank something acidic. GP prescribed ant acid medication and sent me for the camera into the stomach to check for ulcers. Was horrified when I saw the band inside my stomach. Consultant said it should be removed within 6 months but the following day had a barium meal scheduled. The weight of the barium pulled on the stomach and the pain was unbareable so found myself having an emergency band removal the next day. The weight started to go back on and I find myself 4 stone heavier 18months on sad

• Posted

How awful for you! At least despite all of this, you are not giving up & going ahead with other surgery. Fighting the weight for some is such a challenge, I think I will always have issues and a love/hate relations hi with food. 

I know this journey is not going to be easy & I find it encouraging hearing from others. 

I just hope & pray that I can do this & have little to no complications. 

I don't know what it will be like once I have my fill? X

• Posted

How awful for you! At least despite all of this, you are not giving up & going ahead with other surgery. Fighting the weight for some is such a challenge, I think I will always have issues and a love/hate relations hi with food. 

I know this journey is not going to be easy & I find it encouraging hearing from others. 

I just hope & pray that I can do this & have little to no complications. 

I don't know what it will be like once I have my fill? X

• Posted

how is everybody getting on?  Has anyone been back to the Hospital for a follow up of been weighed to see how their getting on?  are you all coping? 
    • Posted

Hey Jenni!

I'm feeling pretty damn good! Can't believe its 2 weeks tomorrow since op!

I don't go back for a follow up until my first fill which is on the 21st!

Have spoken to surgeon & nurses on the phone but not been in!

Took my own dressings off etc! Haven't weighed myself as want to use the same scales that I always use which are ones at work so I will weigh myself on Monday! 

However I did lose 2.2 stone on milk pre op diet so that's a start! 

Are you thinking about surgery? X

• Posted

Yes i had my consultation about a month ago but I had a holiday booked and got back Monday night.  I keep picking up the phone to book a date but getting nervous and putting it down.  ive been reading all your messages in the discussion to see how everyone is doing so I can make my mind up!
    • Posted

It is a big decision to make but it depends how much you want it!

I don't regret having it done at all & thinking back to post op it really wasn't as bad as I thought!

Anything I can help with? Just let me know xx

• Posted

Wow if I lost that much weight I'd probably rethink having the band I think I will lose abt 7 il tops 
    • Posted

Laura I live and work in manchester so if you wanted to meet say in cafe rough on deansgate or coffee shop I would talk with u 
    • Posted

Yes but the reality of me just drinking the following for the rest of my life is very rare and unhealthy! 

I was drinking;

4 pints of semi skimmed milk a day

1 pint water

1 pint stock

I was allowed a sachet of sugar free jelly a day and that was it!

There is noway I would of stuck to it if it wasn't for the fact it was for my surgery! 

2 weeks was more than long enough!! X

• Posted

Yes but the reality of me just drinking the following for the rest of my life is very rare and unhealthy! 

I was drinking;

4 pints of semi skimmed milk a day

1 pint water

1 pint stock

I was allowed a sachet of sugar free jelly a day and that was it!

There is noway I would of stuck to it if it wasn't for the fact it was for my surgery! 

2 weeks was more than long enough!! X

• Posted

No problem, Im in Merseyside so close by too!  we could have a group meeting!

• Posted

You ladies look as if you're doing really well!

I will be 2 weeks post-op on Saturday, I am doing ok but healing is taking a little longer this time.

This is my 2nd band, my 1st one slipped when my gallbladder became ganrenous and I vomited so much over 24hrs. That was 18months ago and I have allowed myself time to heal properly, but also gained 3st (half of what I originally lost.

I lost 15lb on the pre-op diet, which was 1 piece of chicken, 2 eggs and green veg or salad, sugar free jelly and clear fluids for 2 weeks. Since then I haven't lost anything on the scales but my clothes are looser.

I'm still on fluids only until Saturday then I can have soft foods for 2 weeks, I'm not feeling hungry but I do miss chewing smile I'm very confused as to why I haven't lost any weight considering I have only had fluids and less than 1000 cals a day, but apparently it is normal. I lost loads on the fluids only the first time around so feeling a bit hard done by at the moment, I have to keep reminding myself this is the long game.

Are you still taking pain killers? I am trying to cope on just paracetamol, but I must admit i still have a bit of pain around the left hand side. I also have no idea where my port is! I can't feel it rolleyes Last time it was right near my bottom rib and quite prominent, I'm starting to panic they won't be able to find it.

Nice to talk to some recent post-oppers,

Helen x

• Posted

Hello! I will be 2 weeks post op this saturday, so bandages off & suppport socks off 😁I am due my 1st fill on the 9th December. xx
    • Posted

Hi Helen! 

Good to hear from you.

I'm two weeks post op tomorrow and it's gone so quickly! My little incisions are healing very well but he bigger one where the port is, obviously is taking a little longer!

Wow so you've got a lot of experience as this is your second one, was there any reason given as to why it slipped may I ask? 

I haven't weighed myself so not sure if I've lost weight since op either! But like you my clothes are looser and people are saying I have lost a chin! That was my mum who made that lovely comment! Hehe

I haven't prodded around to feel my port! I'm sure they will be able to find yours don't worry! 

I take a painkiller maybe at night or in the morning but not relying on them like I was! Just uncomfortable first thing or when I get out of bed but not too bad! 

Do you work? If so are you back at work yet?

X

• Posted

Hiya,

I think my scars are healing well, some of them are new ones and some they went in the old ones where they could. I have a new large one across the top where he had to go in and remove scar tissue from last time, he did tell me to expect it to be painful for a week rolleyes I can't believe it's two weeks tomorrow, fluids only has gone really quickly.

They're not entirely sure if my band slipped because i was so sick with my gallbladder, or if it was too tight and slipped (causing the sickness) and they were just lucky to catch the gallbladder before peritonitis set in. It was quite scary at the time! I had to go in as a medical emergency on the NHS and was transferred to a bariatric unit for emergency surgery, they were brilliant but not able to put my band back in, I had to pay again sad

I've only taken one lot of calpol today, so must be getting better smile

I work in a school, so I had it done the first weekend of half term and returned a week later. I can hide in my office if I need to, so it has been fine. All my colleagues know and they have been a huge support smile I felt I needed to tell them as they were so good texting/calling/visiting when I was rushed in last time.

Have you felt hungry at all? I haven't yet, I'm slightly nervous about mushy food tomorrow which is really silly as I know what to expect and how much I will be able to eat etc.

Did they put any fluid in during your op? I have a 10ml band, but no fluid yet (everyone else had 4ml in) as he wanted my swelling to go down where he removed the damage from previous ops. I've got an appointment on 2nd Dec and they will do a fill by x-ray if they think I am healed enough smile

x

• Posted

That sounds so scary! Such a shame you had to pay again!

I have told a couple of colleagues as I think I will need help when I'm back! They have been very supportive.

I don't think I have any fluid in mine, was just told that it had been placed and fluids on 21st November! 

What happens during the fill? What kind of X-ray to they use? 

My wounds are looking so much better! I think they will heal really nice! 

I was allowed to have sloppy mash and a sloppy omelette etc in week 2! I had a little bit of fish pie today and it was AMAZING! I dot feel hungry at all, just eating because I know I have to, my appetite is slowly coming back though! Xx

• Posted

Hope you are doing ok!

I'm so nervous about going back to work tomorrow ahhhhhhh! 

X

• Posted

I'd forgotten everything tastes so good! I had a mashed up roast yesterday and it was sooo tasty smile

Glad your scars are healing nicely, are you using Bio Oil or anything like that? I keep forgetting but I must use it as a it it helped my scars last time.

Good luck tomorrow! Be careful you don't overdo it, it's so easy to push yourself too far. I got told off for carrying 6 school magazines down to the staff room lol

xx

• Posted

It's like a new lease of life!! 

I've got bio oil but not using it until the scabs have gone! 

What meat did you have? I really want chicken but it's not on my diet plan thing!

I hope no patients collapse tomorrow as I won't be able to help them up!! 

Xxx

• Posted

hello! You will be absolutely fine! It is nerve wrecking, but once you get your first day out the way, it will be like you never was away. Everyone will notice the weight you lost so far! 👌😃

As your job involves being on your feet, make sure you keep your energy levels up. 

I finally took my bandages off! I was pleasantly surprised at how minimal the scars were! The port hole one us still a little red, so ive put a plaster on that one. 

I need to now start doing regular exercising!

I am actually looking forward to my first fill! 😁

I have no regrets what so ever, especially as my clothes are feeling loser & i am not so achy (joints) after just over a stone down!

I do have about 7 stone to go, but im on my way there xx

• Posted

Your doing very well! 

I can't wait for the end result! Lost 12 pounds since op and I just want it all off now! 

Yes I need to start doing exercise to! I'm just worried I'm going to hurt myself! My back is agony with this stupid trapped nerve which has given me pins and needles in my thigh! So I will be glad to be moving around more and hoping to shift this stupid pain! 

Glad your pleased with your scars, mine are healing so much quicker now they are getting some air!! 

What are you eating these days?

Xx

• Posted

your doing so well, despite your trapped nerve! Well done you! 

I could be doing allot better if im honest! I mainly stick to soups & shakes, but i enjoyed scrammbled eggs & porridge! 

I also have a fish pie for tomorrow. 

I can manage other bits of food if i chew slowly, although it feels like itsstuck atthe back the of my throat! 

Are you taking pain killers for tour trapped nerve? x 

• Posted

Hello! How was your first day at work? x 
    • Posted

Hi how are you? 

Ah I am dead on my feet if I'm honest!

Forgot how busy and fast my job is!

Just think it's a combo of being off for a couple of weeks, worried of doing too much and my trapped nerve!! 

Thanks for asking :-) how have you been getting on? Xx

• Posted

Hello, feels like it has been absolutley agessince  I last posted!!!

I had a terrible cold & was in bed for almost a week. Other then i have been ok. 

I do not even notice that I have the band... which isn't such a great thing as my restriction does not seem to be that limited? 

I am generally trying to have smaller healither options, but i do feel hungry & I make as much effort as i can not to over eat. 

I can not wait for my first fill on the 9th December! 😬 I still need to get to the gym ASAP! How are you??? Hope you have been well xx

• Posted

Oh no that's not good about the cold :-( hope it's gone now! 

Yes I started to feel the same and could eat quite a lot before fill! Can feel slight restriction since but I don't think we will feel the complete affects of the band until we are at the correct level of 'fill!' 

I've been good thanks, trapped nerve seems to of improved and I'm feeling pretty good about everything! I forget I have a band sometimes! I had a really naughty tuna and cheese panini today and it went down and stayed down just fine! They did say panini's and pitta etc is better than normal bread/baguette!  I have my next fill on the 19th December!! Wish it could be after Christmas hehe!! The first one wasn't too bad actually, was more the prodding around that was sore than the injection and then tummy is just a little tender for next couple of days! But nowhere near as bad as I had thought, infact none of it has been that bad as I had created in my head!! 

How have you been? And how have you found work? Xx

• Posted

I have not been sick at all, other then when i tried to eat a portion of pasta, and it felt like it was stuck in my throat. 

Other then that no food is forbidden? 

I do hope my fill will make a difference?  I have heard that it can take a while to get the right adjustment etc I just hope it is sooner rather then later! 

Work is fine, but the two colleagues i have told always want to talk about it & I do not want any of the others i work with catching on! I find there also like the "food police" and scrutinising everything i eat! 

I have a holiday booked for next June and i would love to be a few stone lighter for that!! 

How have you been at work? 

• Posted

Oh my goodness I feel the same about work colleagues! They sort of give you a disapproving look in the staff room at what you are eating! Especially today with my panini!! Hehe

I hadn't tried pasta until tonight, it seems to of gone down ok and it was a couple of hours ago now! Touch wood!

My sick bowl that I brought has only been used once luckily, and that was in the first few days when I had tomato soup and then had a lie down! 

As my consultant says, you are not on a diet rebecca! 

Works been ok thanks, struggled through the first week or so, it's non stop my job so it has been hard to 'ease in gently!' 

I'm sure you will be at least a few stone lighter! Xx

• Posted

How many weeks  has it been since you operation 
    • Posted

This week will be 2 weeks since my op and had a cheese omelette for breakfast and in the evening ate some cheese cake and done nearly 2 bottles of wine that was my treat this weekend but sure I've put 2 lb back on.  I'm still parimiod I'm not bgonna lose this weight 
    • Posted

Just make sure you dont over do it as i know if you force food it can slip and cause problems.  I think once you go for your first fill you will find a big difference and will find it more difficult to eat what you love and feel fuller which hopefully will help you with your journey x 

• Posted

I had my op on the 25th October. I have my first fill on the 9th December which I can not wait for as I do not feel like my restriction is effective enough. 
    • Posted

Don't be disheartened if you don't feel too much different after, you can slightly feel it for the few days after but it wears off! 

Apparently this happens until you reach your suitable level! 

If your like me you will build yourself up for the fill so are looking forward to it. It's honestly not as bad as I thought, just the prodding slightly uncomfortable xx

• Posted

Now they say I can't hv until 6  jan now I'm p*ssed off

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.