Gastric bypass- just starting my journey - please join in with your thoughts and experiences

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been yoyo dieting for over 27 years - now I'm obese !

I started out a size 10!!!

I'm going down the road of gastric bypass .... Please join in with your thoughts and experiences , I'll share mine x

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you should go ahead and dont look back. Start the rest of your life, slim and healthy.

Ive had a gastric band and had nothing but trouble and heartache. Wish id gone dien the permanent route.

Some people are negative about bariatric surgery, but modt have no idea what a struggle life can be as a yoyo dieter getting nowhere.

Wish you all the best with your journey and your new life 😊

• Posted

I have always been larger than I should but only in the past few years am I unable to stop putting weight on - I had a gastric band which enabled me to lose 6 stone and it was fantastic until it slipped - I have since put that back on and more and am starting to go through the process to have a bypass - I need a permanent option that will enable me to lead a happy, healthy life.
    • Posted

Good luck - keep in touch with your progress - I've seen that the band isn't as sucessful as I first thought so I decided to go for the bypass too ....
    • Posted

I had the band removed in 2012 - although it was great for weight loss I felt it was great but when it went wrong it was awful - I have had to wait to make sure my stomach is ok but I think it should be ok - fingers crossed for both of us!
    • Posted

So you are up for the bypass? That's great news - good for you - NHS or private? Try and go for one with the 2 year after care .. My vit mineral and calcium etc levels are monitered until correct with my package ... All booed for 1 sept !!
  • Posted

Im so

Jealous of you girls having bypass. Wish i could turn back the clock. Had my band 7 months, lost nothing, been in 3 times for various ops and now in again as port has flipped.

Well done you lot on making a better decision than me!

• Posted

I had the band privately done but the aftercare was the problem as I think that's where it went wrong - as good as it was I think it was incorrectly fitted from the start - I have had to wait to make sure I don't have too much damage before I have the bypass - I did think of going for the sleeve but in for a penny eh!! 

Rumblytummy - have you had your band checked? Maybe you need more restriction ..... 

• Posted

Apparently ive got 11ml in a 10ml band. Ive had 2 barium xrays. No leaks, no slips, no kinks in the band. Still no restriction at all.

Now my port has flipped so another op soon.

I had mine done private too. May as well have put £5k in the bin.

Would love a bypass or sleeve .

• Posted

Wow I think the most I had was 6ml and the restriction was spot on - there must be something they can do or even offer an alternative like a sleeve although that depends on the provider I suppose. I thought mine was a waste of money when I had it removed so I know how you feel.
    • Posted

I can eat anything in any quantity so i may as well have no band in at all!

An extra £11k for a sleeve ad they charge for taking band out too. And a wasted £5k.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that - you think that they would have your best interests at heart but I suppose it's all about money xx
  • Posted

Hey guys - sounds like a nightmare all round!

Looks like we need to pray for a lottery win ... I can't believe your bad luck! I'd heard bad things - more bad than good for bands - I was still keen - but it was the surgeon who suggested the bypass ... It's a better solution - I really hope you guys can get one soon x

• Posted

Where did you guys have your bands fitted and with which surgeon? I had mine fitted 2 days ago and I have a newer version which is supposedly more robust and the port is in my chest. Was really concerned about the same as what's happened with your bands but felt like this was the right option rolleyes
    • Posted

Ive got the new robust band fitted and my port is just under my braline. I can see the pirt sticking out sideways and it has ripped away from the muscle it was sewn to. I have no restriction of any kind and have 11ml in a 10ml band.

I know lots of others who have had no problems and great success. So dont worry,im sure you will be fine 😊

• Posted

I just don't think it's right that you paid for a product that has essentially failed - surely they can see that? Did you say that you are having the port fixed? Could there be a leak? I remember my port being a lot lower than the bra line.
    • Posted

Mine was fitted in Belgium in 2011 and slipped in 2012 - I had to pay in the UK to have it removed as I couldn't make it back to Belgium
    • Posted

Yes its being fixed in august. They didnt want to sort anything without payment but ive fought my corner.

Ive had 2 barium xrays that apparently show no leak. ( again i refused to pay) Somethings not right at all. If you bought an item for £5k from a shop, they wouldnt just tell you these things happen and its one of the risks with what you've bought!

Im fed up, drained and just about given up hope if being slim.

• Posted

I totally agree with you - don't you have some sort of complaint procedure you can take them up on - no company wants bad publicity. Well done for sticking to your guns so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.