Get rid of gout naturally

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had been having gout attacks daily  for almost 2 years. The doctor prescribed me Allopurinol during this time, they didn’t work and left me feeling like I had flu like symptoms all over my upper body along with feeling tired most days, it also seemed to destroy my immune system.  I decided to look online for a natural cure and found cherry supplements in drink and tablet form along with a cod liver oil tablet, it can be a pricey way to go but it’s worked for me, I’ve never felt better since giving up the prescribed tablets and I haven’t had any gout attacks since (for some reason my doc also prescribed colchicine and Naprosyn, which I never took) Basically my advice is....to never trust what the doctor says and always look for an alternative.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing Mike. I've had good success with cherry extract as well. Hank

• Posted

And what is your level of blood urate?

It is all very well to stop the attacks of gout, but the gout flares are merely the most obvious *symptom*, not a disease. The underlying malady is  Hyperuricemia: high blood urate. The Hyperuricemia is inevitably causing a variety of problems for different organs, and will lead to heart disease, kidney disease, or stroke

If you are one of the very few who cannot take allopurinol you could consider one of the alternatives, assuming that your blood urate is high....and if your blood urate is not high, you don’t have gout anyway. 

• Posted

Rusty, since I started drinking Cherry Juice, taking fish oil, and taking vitamin C, according to my blood uric acid blood test I don't have gout anymore. And as you know I was practically born with it when I got my first attack at age 14 and two later in life.  Therefore, I believe some people can cure themselves with cherry juice, fish oil and vitamin C. But also, making sure you don't eat what causes it. So what happens when you no longer have a high uric acid level? My last uric acid level was 4.12. Doctor said I don't have gout.  

• Posted

There is at least some research supporting cherries from 2014 I have just seen. 

"When cherry intake was combined with allopurinol use, the risk of gout attacks was 75% lower than periods without either exposure (OR=0.25, 95% CI: 0.15-0.42)."

"The findings also revealed that while the 60ml dose of cherry concentrate increased the volumes of plant compounds within the blood, it brought no additional benefit in lowering uric acid or inflammation compared to the 30ml dose."

However, the UK NHS says the following about this research:

"The study was carried out by researchers from the UK and South Africa and was partly funded by Northumbria University and the Cherry Marketing Institute. The latter is a non-profit organisation, funded by cherry growers, with a brief to promote the alleged health benefits of tart cherries.

Somewhat puzzlingly, the study recruited healthy young volunteers who didn’t have gout. A more relevant study design would have included people with a history of gout, to see what effect, if any, cherry juice had on them."

• Posted

I have the same symptoms for the medication too. Then another doctor said I do not have gout and stop taking them.

I was told to keep an eye on my urate levels, but how do you do this? I do not have the facility to give myself blood tests.

• Posted

It is strange that a doctor would conclude that you don’t have gout - asi assume you were taking allopurinol at the time?  What symptoms did you have that made the first doctor think you have gout? 

As for the doctor telling you to keep an eye on your blood urate - it’s the doctors job to do that! The way to do it is a blood test usually done by doctor / hospital. 

• Posted

My wrists and ankles had started hurting and become weak as well as pain and weakness in arms.

first doc said gout and gave me naproxyn. It made no difference, so she then gave me Allopurinol and colcochine. Things then got worse, right arm became so painful and almost unusable, and I was experiencing what I found were documented side effects of colchicine, so stopped taking it.

Saw a different doctor, who then said I do not have gout, and said I have RSI and sent me to physio.

Physio says I have tennis elbow in right arm, but no idea about the other issues in wrists and ankles and legs.

• Posted

I don’t understand this. Deciding if a patient has gout isn’t a guess and see. This isn’t 1918. Did they not do a blood test? If so what was the result? 

The female doctor seems to have gone AWOL. If she believed that you had gout she’s supposed to follow the advice given to her by NICE. Naproxen is not the treatment for gout. The first line treatment is allopurinol (with appropriate warning about skin rashes) + colchicine (with advice on how to take it). 

Frankly I have no idea what you have - except to say that pains in my wrists / hands and a tingling in my lower arm  was how my gout  manifested itself. 

The important thing to know though: what was the result of your blood urate test?  Unless that was high there was no reason to give you allopurinol. It just makes no sense unless that test was high (ideally taken when you had no symptoms). 

• Posted

your not the only one who doesn't understand it.

yes I had a blood test, my urate level was described as slightly elevated, I don't think either she ever said it was high. The first doc  she decided this meant goat, the 2nd he decided it wasn't high enough to be gout. They didn't bother to speak to each other to discuss it though, which I just found amazing.

I do have the same symptoms as you mention though, pain in wrists and hands, and tingling and sometimes numbness, same with feet and ankles as well.

• Posted

As I said, this is not 2018, not 1928, so let's go with science, and the advice of the NICE (as that is what they are paid for and are world recognised authority).

So it was "slightly elevated." *However* (imagine the italics there), this blood test was taken *during* an attack ie you had symptoms. When you have symptoms the level of blood urate falls (I can explain why if you are interested but if not just take it as read). Therefore, "slightly elevated" in fact means elevated. 

Next, I assume that you were given 100 mg of allopurinol. This is the introductory dose to make sure you aren't allergic. What should have happened after a few weeks is you should have had a blood test to see how the blood urate was doing, and then increased it to the normal dose (which is 300 mg for most people), with the idea of bringing the blood urate down to <300. In my personal experience, the tingling disappeared in the first few weeks of being on 300mg.

As to the "tennis elbow" - that makes sense if you do a lot of work which uses one arm.

If I had to guess I would say that you probably have gout. The thing that they should do is to do a blood urate test again to see if it is elevated. They must take into account that you have symptoms. If it is gout, then after a couple of months of allopurinol at the right level all this tingling and strange sensations in the arms and legs will disappear.   

I wish you good luck and good health.

• Posted

Hi Russ, sounds like you had a allergic reaction to allopurinol, i had a similar reaction myself. I take Adenuric now and is ok for me. Narproxen is used for gout, only when youhave a flare up and are very good indeed for reducing inflamation. Not good for long time use as they can be harsh on the stomach. I had a top surgeon prescribe these when i had a very bad flare up, because they thought it had gone into the bone which is dangerous, so keeping gout under control is very important. Slightly raised uric acid can and will bring on a flare up. Your doctor should be doing more for you, because if it is gout and you do not control it, whichever joint it affects will be damaged every time you have a flare.  I have never had tingling and numbness sensations with gout just a intense throbbing pain that is quite unbearable, so you could question if it is gout.  I had tennis elbow and had a steroid injection which sorted the problem out.
    • Posted

I don't have flare ups, my problem is pretty much constant and just varies in intensity, unless this is a permanent flare up. I thought it was the colcochine I didn't on with, made me feel like crap. The others really did nothing.

• Posted

Does not sound like gout symptoms you have, plus colcochine are brilliant for me when i feel a twinge and catch the flare up quickly, i take these and by the end of the day the flare up as pretty much gone away. Longest flare up i had lasted 6 weeks and was hell, but i was not taking the medication seriously, and learnt my lesson. I actually dont know if you can have pain all the time with gout, because i never have, but saying that i do take my medication regular now. Gout is a form of arthritis, so maybe you could have some form of arthrits in your wrists and ankles.  
    • Posted

this gout is affecting me big time. I'm 36 and don't want to take tabs. how can I control this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.