Getting there

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. Just an update for my friends on this forum. I have all tests now with the exception of the pulmonary function test. So far so good. I saw the Haemotolgist yesterday. I have not had any treatment at all for 2 months. Not even blood work as requested by the Haemotologist. I would have thought my blood test at the hospital yesterday would show my levels high. Surprisingly enough it was next to normal. I did have a vitamin B12 injection on Tuesday and the only change since I saw her last was being put on a blood thinner. She said that unfortunately the Doctor here that dud the bone marrow aspiration did not get enough for a complete testing. She needed to know if my bone marrow was producing to many red blood cells. I had it done while I was there. I was nervous because the last one I had was very painful. This one here was not at all! I now go back in two weeks for a conclusion and hopefully a treatment. It was at least confirmed its secondary. Will keep you posted!

Ellen

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am surprised you was awake to feel anything. When I had bone marrow procedure I was heavily sedated. Hope all goes well for you and hope they made a mistake in their diagnosis in the 1st place. All the best and good luck.
    • Posted

When I had he first bone marrow test it was painful because the Doctor who did the procedure here did not put enough freezing in. I told the Haemotologist on Friday I was nervous to have it done again due to the pain I had with the previous one. This time there was a lot of freezing injected. After a minute or two more freezing was put in. I felt absolutely nothing other then a bit of pressure. Also just have had a vitamin B12 injection on Tuesday brought my blood levels down. I was told by my primary Doctor here that if your body can't absorb the B12 then injections would be needed. She used the medical term Macrocytosis. On Friday in London the resident Doctor said it was a secondary Polythermia.However now the wait is to see if my bone marrow is producing to many red blood cells. That is why I had to have this bone marrow procedure again. Not enough of a sample in the first procedure for her to come to a solid diagnoses. I do have to have my pulmonary lung function test one week from Monday then my appointment in London one week from this Friday. That's when I will know.
    • Posted

Secondary is caused by life style choices, smoking and drinking. I was diagnosed with secondary and despite the fact I smiled and drank I new the diagnosis was wrong. So to prove a point I stopped smoking and drinking to prove my point. That was 10 yrs ago. Only to find out last year I have primary p. My consultant elected to not tell me. To think I gave my brandy away, I cried all night lol. So don't be afraid to ask how certain they can be. My hospital got it wrong after all.
    • Posted

What was your treatment when you were wrongly diagnosed with a secondary PV? That is a very bad medical mistake! My primary Doctor also added the opinion that if your body cannot absorb Vitamin B-12 then I must have it by injection to which I am presently having. She said large red blood cells can also be a. Indicater of lack of B-12. Once I have an injection my blood tests are much lower which was the case this past Friday. I Han an injection on Tuesday plus I have since December 23rd put on a blood thinner due to the findings of very small blood clots in my one lung. My blood must be flowing better now. The Haemotologist did not confirm this but was more interested in repeating the bone marrow aspiration. I wonder if this is a genetic blood disorder? To bad you had to give up your brandy! Hahaha I was told this is not a common condition but it is more common with the Irish and Scottish. I am a second generation Scott. Makes you wonder.
    • Posted

My consultant I think found out the diagnosis was wrong about 10 yrs ago, she just elected to not mention it until I was away from drink and smoking. I learned this When I told her I had no interest in booze and wouldn't smoke again, she decided to tell me. The treatment before diagnosis for pv was aspirin and venesection and monitoring. Though when I was properly diagnosed I was put unto hydrea after my protest about the drug . I was unsure about it. Now a days I need venesected 2 or 3 times a yrs. The only side effects I suffer from hydrea are white hair and a tan despite it being the dead of winter here in ireland. I am supposed to wear high factor sun cream to counter this, but being a guy i will start some day lol. Take care.
    • Posted

Thank you for the quick response. I will be interesting just to see where I fit in. Doctors appointments and sooooo many tests starts to become a way of life with this. I have had so many. I guess it's a standard routine. I don't know anybody here to discuss this with. Seems unreal that I can compare notes with someone as far as Ireland!!!!!! This forum has really helped to get my head wrapped around it all. Now do you feel this PV is a genetic condition? 

Have a a great day! It's freezing cold here in Canada. 

• Posted

Thar are only a handful of folk on this island who have pv. Lots of heavy drinkers n smokers have pvr though. I am not so far away that I can avoid the bitter cold weather u having at the min. Felt my eyelids freeze over. Be well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.