getting to grips with this problem

Posted , 4 users are following.

I jus t discovered this site yesterdayand feel relieved that I am not going mad. I am 59 years old and have been on eostrogen only patches for almost 10 years. Six months ago I started to reduce the dosage and after a couple of weeks the awful itching and burning started, I have terrible vulval itching at night which incidently is when I have hot flushes. I am currently trying ortho-gynest cream and even trying to apply this was a very painful experience at first, but last night for the first time in weeks I had a full nights sleep. Is there a way I can maintain this how often will I need to use the cream, and is it safe to use the patches at the same time. I would like to be able to come off the HRT but am not sure if this would start the other symptoms all over again. I would appreciate any tips or advice its good to know there are other women out there who understand what this awful condition feels like.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi...you are certainly not alone!

I have been battling with this condition for over a year, but am now just about sorted! I tried Ovestin cream, but that ended up irritating me, and am now very happy using Vagifem, a tiny vaginal oestrogen tablet, twice weekly. I used it with the patch, but began to feel the symptoms of too much oestrogen and my doctor wasn';t too happy about me using both.

I was also on a low oestrogen patch, but came off that 8 months ago - and I feel really good without it. It's worth a try to come off it and see how you get on - you could always go back on it if it doesn't work out.

It took a lot of trial and error - and a lot of error for ages - but I feel that I have got there now.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response, its good to know Im not going mad or becoming a hypochondriac. This condition is not someting you are told about when you are begining to experience the menopause. It seems like all other problems are attributed to the menopause though. I recently started to put on weight and feel very tired, my symptoms were put down to the menopause until I insisted on a blood test for thyroid levels turned out it was not the menopause at all but an underactive thyroid. I was interested in what you said about the cream, I have been having a painful reaction to the cream and thought I just had to put up with it, I will see my GP and request vagifem tablets. It just goes to show knowledge is power. I feel more confident about the future now. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi...just wondered if you had seen your doctor yet and whether they had agreed to you using Vagifem?

Isn't it funny, I have an underactive thyroid too. Mine went wrong at the time of the menopause and as it was very early - I was only 39 - my symptoms were very confusing.

Atophic vaginitis is awful though, but I am so comfortable now that I sometimes forget to use it on the night it is due. So you will get there, believe me, once you find the medication that works for you.

Take care and hang on in there smile

• Posted

Hi Thank you so much for the advice,I went to see my GP on Monday and asked if I could start using vagifem. I have been using it for 3 days now and I can feel the difference already, I assume I will be able to go to maintainence dose after things settle She also metioned that I may have Lichen Schlerosis which she will check to confirm when my other problems settle, is this something that goes with A.V. or is it different. It feels like my \"female parts\" are under seige at the moment, however I feel more positive now. Im so glad I found this forum.
  • Posted

So glad to hear that you have started Vagifem... hope it is as good for you as it is for me.

Sorry, I don't know anything about lichen S.... once the vagifem restores the area to good health, she will be able to see what's what though. I had problems with strep infection whilst AV was bad, but that all cleared up now. Once the tissues are healthy, they heal themselves... the PH balance of the area is corrected too. Clever stuff!

• Posted

Have now been on the vagifem for a couple of weeks and what a difference it has made, oh the bliss of having a full nights sleep. I was on a low dose patch as well but like you felt uncomfortable with both I have now stopped the patches and its early days yet but so far so good.Did the hot flushs come back when you stopped the patches and did you take anything from the natural range to combat this, someone suggested Isoflavones does it work or am I wasting money I would love to hear of any other natural remedies. For now though after months of misery life feels good. Thank you for the support and encouragement. smile
  • Posted

Well I thought I would add to this forum, I have been using Vagifem for a week now, and I feel so much better. I was having recurrent UTIs and the Doctor suggested trying Vagifem.

I am through the Menopause and am 65 this year.

To be truthful, I feel as if a light has been switched on, and don't feel so tired and have stopped wanting to go and pass water all the time.

Long may it continue.

• Posted

I found this site today I am not going mad after all THANK YOU

Arrived home from holiday last night, even I feel really sorry  for my partner.

My doctor has been brillient - especially as I moved in Dec last year not the best of starts - to meet new doctor

• Posted

You will certainly meet many ladies with similar problems on this site and I agree, it's good to share experiences and remedies. I became irritated by gynest after a time of using it. It is trial and error with different creams. Vagifem is good. I now have a vaginal ring inserted which gives me a low dose of oestrogen on a daily basis. I think this is a relatively new remedy. 
  • Posted

I am 59 now and have had this awful itching for at least 6 months. I have been trying thrush cream, as I get thrust also, but it has made me burn, and at night especially I have felt that my vulva and sometimes theskin between vulva and anus was itchy and almost as if either liquid or a microscopic infection was attacking me.

I have read that some panty liners are perfumed, so I have checked that, and also about washing with aqueous cream ( a small dollop in the water) I have coconut oil which has helped and have bought some emuaid which also helps to stem the pain and soreness.

I thought that I had a slight leak from the bladder which was making the vulva itch, so that is why I had panty liners.

I am just about ripping my hair out too. as my vagina is atrophic also. ( joys of menopause)  but have recently bought some water based yes, which is very soothing.

I f standing on my hea in the middle of a crowded room would help I would do it!

• Posted

You can use aqueous cream all over my nurse said slap it on,wasn't sure to start with but it helps
  • Posted

Oh dear. Poor you. As you can read on the forum, many ladies with AV suffer in similar ways. It is very trial and error with cream etc as to what suits you. Sometimes a cream works well and then it starts to irritate.

have you been to the doctors for thrush and BV tests?

• Posted

Sorry, it is bacterial vaginitis and can be the cause of vaginal discomfort. another common cause ibeing an infection caused by a yeast called thrush (candida). Unlike BV, thrush usually causes a thicker white discharge which tends to cause itching and soreness around the vagina and vulva.

i have had treatment for thrush and then got BV for which I then had a different treatment. 

• Posted

thank you, I shall be seeing the Dr on the 9th Feb, and will ask but I havent got a discharge, but the acid from my urine and anus is so strong it burns both and makes everything so uncomfortable. I bought some actimel today, just another thing to "help".
    • Posted

I got these from amazon and they can help you to see what is happening to your ph in the vagina.

EcoCare Comfort Vaginal Vaginosis pH Test Stick - Pack of 15 Tests 

• Posted

thank you will have a look tomorrow.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.