getting to grips with this problem

Posted , 4 users are following.

I jus t discovered this site yesterdayand feel relieved that I am not going mad. I am 59 years old and have been on eostrogen only patches for almost 10 years. Six months ago I started to reduce the dosage and after a couple of weeks the awful itching and burning started, I have terrible vulval itching at night which incidently is when I have hot flushes. I am currently trying ortho-gynest cream and even trying to apply this was a very painful experience at first, but last night for the first time in weeks I had a full nights sleep. Is there a way I can maintain this how often will I need to use the cream, and is it safe to use the patches at the same time. I would like to be able to come off the HRT but am not sure if this would start the other symptoms all over again. I would appreciate any tips or advice its good to know there are other women out there who understand what this awful condition feels like.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had thrush on many occasions, I am taking HRT patches and I know it sounds stupid but I didnt suffer from it until last year when I came back from a holiday and had suffered "prickly heat" which I thought was bedbugs. so in the back of my mind I wonder if that is what started it, but the dr looked and said it was prickly heat. I also have started taking vagifem, and emuoil on occasions to try and stop the excrusiation pain. I am willing to try anything as it is getting be down ( and my husband!)
  • Posted

Hi I have just come back from the GP and have decided to come off the HRT patches ( watch this space!) I have had a couple of hot flushes, but read that in some people it causes itching etc, and I am sooo desparate to try anything. my GP said try it but did a swab test and has given me some cream - timodine - which I am going to give a try with, and get some menopace or similar to help with my menopause. I have recently bought some emuoil which becuse I am so sore and itchy has been a great help. I have washed all my pants and towels in sensitive washing powder, and rinse twice, and have aqueous cream dolloped in water to clean "my bits" with. so far so good, but because I am under a  lot of stress- another thing which does not help- I am trying to sort that out too.
  • Posted

Hi, have tried so many things and the only relief for me is gynest cream every other day and actigel in between the gynest days. I wasn't offered vagifem but I know some people find that helps too. Thrush cream can make you burn when you have this condition you have to allow things to 'tranquilize' in that area. Boots vaginal moisturising gel is soothing but wont cure AV, sadly it seems only the vaginal hormone treatments help with this and they need to be  used consistently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.