Glaucoma diagnosis - at what point would I lose my driving licence?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've googled and downloaded the DVLA leaflet but can't see the answer anywhere.

After a recent eye test, I've been referred by my optician to the hospital for tests to check whether I have glaucoma. If the hospital confirms that it is glaucoma, I will have to inform the DVLA and my insurers.

I understand that I then have to go to specsavers for a DVLA field of vision test.

But its not clear at what point will I lose my driving licence (if at all).

is it:

1. As soon as the hospital confirms the diagnosis;
  2. When I advise the DVLA;
  3. After a failed specsavers FOV test;
  4. After the DVLA have reviewed the specsavers FOV test and contacted me?

I drive for work so I will need to make arrangements asap as the hospital test is this week.

Does anyone have experience that they could share please?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i have glaucoma and do the Specsavers test every year before my licence is renewed on a yearly basis.

The DVLA will firstly want to know about your Consultant and may ask for a letter from him/her. If your consultant feels very strongly that you should not drive they may report your case to the DVLA before you do so. You are entitled to argue against the decision.

If you are borderline, then you must notify the DVLA yourself and they will ask you to fill in a form with as many details of your condition and any treatment you have had/medication like eye drops you are using. You then will get a letter asking you to make an appointment with Specsavers for the FOV and other tests. If you wear glasses for driving take them with you as most of the test will be with your glasses on.

The DVLA will then take everything into consideration and will either refuse you a licence or renew for one year. You must also declare that you drive for work. They also ask you about any other chronic illness you may have or other disability you have. You must declare everything. It can invalidate your insurance if you dont declare everything and then have an accident.

There is a slight problem because of Covid at the moment as opticians are often not using the FOV machine but there are several other tests they will ask you to do.

It sounds as though your glaucoma...if that is what you have, has been caught early and with eye drops you may never get to the acute stage. Hope that helps, and good luck.

• Edited

You wont loose your drivers license just because you have Glaucoma only if it seriously affects your vision . If it was discovered early with not much nerve damage and your vision is still OK and you follow your treatment program you may never loose your license

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.