Globus sensation or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone, just thought Id post here because Im literally at wits end. 😦

For six weeks or so Ive been having the sensation that something is tight around the front of my throat. I dont have any trouble swallowing and everything seems to go down fine. It feels like its just below the adams apple. I even get some relief when I eat.

It does occasionally feel like a lump but it comes and goes.

It doesnt give me wheezing or any breathlessness but it feels like my windpipe is restricted or tight, so it feels like theres less air even though there isnt. (oxygen levels normal)

Ive seen a few doctors and had two bloods tests - came back completely normal. Went to A&E one time because I was so scared I couldnt breathe properly. They gave me a nasal spray (I assume for post nasal drip) but didnt remove the problem. Ive been referred to an ENT but it might take ages to come through considering covid. No lumps or signs of goitre, they checked my thyroid levels in my blood and looked all normal.

All of the doctors have said it could be anxiety, which is possible because Im a pretty anxious person with a lot of health anxiety.

Im now on Omeprazole for silent reflux as that could be affecting my throat.

Im a pretty healthy person and dont drink or smoke, good diet and only in my 20s.

I just want to know if it really is a feeling of globus/anxiety or something else, or if anyone else has had this problem.

Its just made everything so miserable, Ive had nights thinking the absolute worst.

Any help or reassurance would be greatly appreciated D:

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hey, you are not alone, even i am facing this issue from past 3 days. I havent done any checkup yet. Just waiting for this to go away on its own. If not then ill seek medical help.

• Posted

Hey, I hope you got this sorted and had a checkup!

• Posted

i have the same issue..started a few weeks ago i started getting food coming back up my throat (well i think its food i swalloe it back down coz im too scared to cough it up) anyway..the past few days i have a strange feeling in my throat like a lump sensation l i also feel like i cant breath sometimes..i suffer from stress and anxiety am hoping its just that but im scared. i also dont smoke have an occassional drink at the weekend.

• Posted

Same, I also really suffer from stress and anxiety, especially with my health. Its so hard to tell yourself that its nothing bad or sinister when its feels so unnatural. The food coming back up could be GERD/acid reflux and that can cause the throat to get super irritated.

• Posted

Hi everyone, just an update on everything globus:

So i managed to have an ultrasound and there was nothing there... figures.

What was really interesting is that after the ultrasound, I felt better for a good week or so. I still have it and in fact its moved to the back of my throat near the entrance - and sort of feels like a golf ball is just sitting there. Food makes it feel better and relaxes whatever it is

I also got a sore throat for a good two weeks, but I know that people with globus can also suffer from that.

Im trying my best to tell me its anxiety but its so hard, because it feels so NOT normal.

Ive read a few tips and tricks on here but if anyone has any suggestions of getting rid of it let me know - its been a good 8-9 months now...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.