Gluten / diary free diet. Thoughts?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Im reading a book at the moment on how to recover the immune system.  It mentions cases where people with RA that have removed gluten and diary from there diet for 6 months had no indication of RA in their system after 6 -12 months.  Sounds too good to be true.  Has anyone tried it? Im going to give it a go, nothing to loose.

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have tried various diets, eliminations. .you name it. Yes if it sounds to good to b true it probably is. My doc has always said. Unless you have celiac disease or a gluten issue cutting it out will not matter.

I have stopped jumping through diet hoops. That just works for me. Good luck to you

• Posted

hi pity they didnt help you in anyway. thanks for your reply. 
  • Posted

Hi Clare

I too have tried various diets and followed the acid/alkaline plan for several months but did not notice any difference. I usually steer clear of uncooked tomatoes as that is a definite trigger for me - cooked are fine -I really miss them in salads and sandwiches but not worth giving into the temptation.

• Posted

hi chris ya i have heard a lot about staying away from tomatoes, i love them as well.  its always the things we love!!
  • Posted

Hi Claire,

I don't have gluten issues and used to enjoy sandwiches and biscuits as much as anyone. However, after my RA diagnosis a year ago I went on a strict diet under the advice of a nutritionist immunologist. I cut out all grains, dairy, legumes and nightshade vegetables. After 6 months the fatigue was completely gone and the pain and inflammation greatly reduced. Whereas I was in terrible constant pain which kept me awake at night and gave me difficulty walking or cycling even short distances, I now just have the occasional twinge in my hands or shoulders. I'm not completely cured but I'm pretty sure that I will be. It's not the easiest diet to stick to but it's been totally worth it to have my life back. I don't take any drugs the rheumatologist offered and I no longer need to see her at all.

Good luck to you

• Posted

hi 

wow thats great to hear.  do you think i should see a nutritionist immunologist? you really seen results very quick, and you dont need to take medication anymore that is just brilliant.  thats my dream to just get rid of all them tablets.  i have started the diet but not 100% yet, still having cereal for my breakfast, but fruit smoothies for lunch and green veg with chicken or fish for dinner. slowly trying to get used to it. i too am kept awake at night usually with hand, sholder and neck pain. i have been trying acupuncture last couple of weeks, he doc doing this has also given me this chinese herbal medicines to take so trying that as well.  can i ask you what your usual diet would consist of now?

thanks

• Posted

Hi for breakfast i have mackrel and lemon with fruit or sardines in brine with fruit or two gluten free sausages or a smoothie.

lunch is spinach, green olives stuffed with garlic, carrots and celery.or cod with brocolli. Or sweet potatoe and squash roasted in coconut oil. Or homemade soup with no potatoes or grain or tomatoes. Supper is grass fed lamb or pork.or monkfish,seabass,sole,mackrel,john dory,haddock,cod with kale, parsnips , courgettes or cabbage, cauliflower,steamed celery,peas, beans.

I love my food but no im pain free since doing this i snack on two squares of 100% cocoa chocolate that i got on the internet, dried apricots, dates or figs and raspberries, strawberries and blue berries. Lots of ginger or peppermint or camomile tea throughout the day.I did do three weeks of prednisole to get the inflammation down too.

its been hard i miss coffee, cheese and crisps but have read that if you introduce one mouthful of grain, dairy etc in the first three months the gut then gets leaky again and the immune system inflammed.

hope this helps .

• Posted

Hi Clare,

Well done for starting the diet, you must cut out the gluten cereal though - as Helen says, even a small amount of gluten is damaging the gut, it's all to do with this leaky gut thing.

I make a 'paleo granola' that is nuts and seeds mixed with a little coconut oil and honey and baked in the oven. It's very filling and you just need a few spoonfuls and I eat it with some fruit and coconut milk for breakfast. I have a 3-4 egg omlette with salad or cooked veg for lunch and something like baked sweet potatoes with tofu and veg stir fry for dinner. For treats, 85% dark chocolate or nak'd bars which are fruit and nuts. I also include sauerkraut (fermented for digestion) and brocolli sprouts (I use an 'easysprout' sprouter).

I have found it well worth the expense to be working with the nutritionist as she can guide me with the supplements and diet and she does regular testing to check it's working, eg. checking the gut bacteria to see if the bad ones are going.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Clare I can honestly say that this has been the case for me.  I am gluten, wheat and dairy free and I feel so much better.  Prior to making these changes my rheumatologist was all set to give me medication which I was was able to delay.  Last time I saw her my blood test result we're normal and medication was not an issue. I now don't have to see her for 9 months.  Just remember the benifits may not happen over night same as your condition wasn't created over night.  Give it a go , like you say you have nothing to loose and only good health to gain.  Good Luck. 
    • Posted

Hi Denise,

I'm very happy to hear your story. It's similar to mine and it's great to know that others are having good success using the diet approach.

I hope you stay in good health

• Posted

Hi, 

Thank you I feel the same, I hope more people make the connection between food and how it makes them feel. 

Best of luck to you. 

• Posted

The trouble is Clare is we all try so many things and its darn hard to actually nail which treatment has worked. I stopped dairy and all grains plus sugar and I now have no pain BUT my gut feel is it got fixed because of vegetable juicing. Heaps of nutrients. Easy to try!
  • Posted

Hi Clare,

Dairy, glutten & sugar are the big 3 to stay away from if you have any arthritis issues, however you can add to that nightshade veggies as the next thing to stay away from

It has been a well known fact in hospitals throughout the world that when a patient comes in with nil by mouth for 3 or more days (being fed intravenously of course) that their arthritic pain disappears -- back on normal food and the pain returns. 

Seeme to me that this is an issue (& it is for me,  eg if I have just one glass of milk I get pain within 2-5 hrs, same with sugar)

How anyone can say it isn't a contributing factor is beyond my comprehension.

But to test you need to stop all for 4 wks then introduce one back at a time & see what your reactions are - it is after all very personal.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing I was interested in the same type of diet.

Rhonda Leschber

• Posted

Hi again,

I also needed to reduce or eliminate onions (using leaks or shallots instead because I react to onion), don't eat things like cooked tomatoes (but fresh is OK)try not to drink instant coffee (use real coffee beans)  -- its not a dramatic change to my way of eating but can't stress enough absolutely no dairy, glutten or sugar

If you like give it a go, you have nothing to lose and just maybe a little gain.

If we have to control our arthitis by meds for a lifetime why not help & control our diet as well?

The 'anti-inflammation diet & recipe book' by Jessica K Black ND is a good one to read.

Cheers, M

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.