Going upstairs..

Posted , 14 users are following.

can anyone tell me how many weeks until you started going Upstairs on Both legs????

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I did it on day 4 one foot one step at a time...
    • Posted

No just holding the rail, I had a walker and a cane no crutches. I'm in the US I don't think we use crutches often.
  • Posted

I did the stairs properly using both feet at 2 weeks. I didn't go out of the (flat 2 floors up) until 2 weeks, didn't feel like it but have been out every day since to walk for 40 mins. I'm 3 weeks and 4 days today!

Veronica

• Posted

Wow did it feel ok! We're the steps steep? Physio told me under no circumstances to use hip leg upstairs??? I'm stranded!!
    • Posted

Steps not very steep, mansion block of flats. I just started doing it with realising and thinking about it. It just felt right,
    • Posted

From day one I did steps, they did them in hospital..up with good first then down start with bad used rails but started normally 9 weeks. I am 13 weeks now and still have to climb slowly, down is easier and my steps are steep.
  • Posted

Hi Gaby!

I'm 7 months out and still take steps one at a time. For some reason it just doesn't feel right if I take them separately.

But everybody is different,

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Gaby

I have been coming down stairs with both feet since week 1 but am gradually managing going up on both legs now 3 weeks since op. I am doing it a couple of steps a time then it starts pulling so I go back to one foot again still using stick though. Have my second lot of physio Tuesday so will see what he says

• Posted

Hi Gaby

Greetings from Devon in the uk.

I really do recommend keepng both legs with you on ascending and descending stairs. There might be spillage of blood on stair carpet otherwise!

A good achievement for me was carrying two cups of coffee upstairs using both hands...and legs as normal...at 6 months.

Wish g you a speedy recovery

Mic

X

• Posted

I suddenly found last week (week 3) that I could use two legs up and down stairs - It feels so good, almost running up the stairs.  It was all down to my physio's exercises (one-legged squats and dips), they suddenly gave me extra muscle tone to be able to do it.

Just think, I have all this to come again in January/February sad

Best 

Graham

• Posted

One legged squats!!!!! Wow, I can't even begin to imagine! I'm so sad about your hip news Graham.
    • Posted

They have given me extra power in my rear end, and I now tackle stairs fairly normally - not one stair at a time.

Yes, having the news I have to go back to have it corrected was like a hammer blow.  I have never experienced depression before, but I did after that.  I just thought 'what's the point'?

In a better frame of mind now I have come to terms with it, looking forward to finishing my medication on next Friday, and having a good whisky on Saturday !

Graham

• Posted

That would be great.

My maid (my lovely wife), has just brought me a tea - let's drink to each other's success lol

Graham

Xxx

• Posted

That is reactive depression and perfectly justified,

who wouldn't be after such a shock. Can you find

any internet info re what happened to you?

are you keeping the champagne on ice?

Cathie

• Posted

I have found internet info from back in 2007 for "Incomplete seating of the liner with the Trident acetabular system".

Now I do not know if I have a Trident system, but the Xrays look exactly like mine.  Interestingly, for some of those affected, it righed itself without intervention.

Champagne on ice - and whisky ready and waiting for next Saturday cheesygrin when I finish my last tablets.

Just love Gaby's pretty icons !

Regards

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.