Going upstairs..

Posted , 14 users are following.

can anyone tell me how many weeks until you started going Upstairs on Both legs????

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've just started on my shallow stairs and I'm 9 weeks (I think!). It feels like good exercise.

For me I seem to improve quite a lot and then plateau. And I've just gone through a stage where I've improved a lot. Happy smile

• Posted

When my surgeon lifted most restrictions. And then physio showed me how to trust my new hip at 7 weeks. I'm now 8 weeks & & can do up & down but slowly with no psin
    • Posted

Looking forward to that - I'll be 8 weeks on Christmas Eve, and again on 3 March.

Still limping a bit around the house with no sticks, and outside with one. it's that 'front-of-thigh' muscle that aches.

Graham

• Posted

My surgeon lifted restrictions at 7 weeks. Have been told to push it.

I have been walking up and down normally with both legs smile I have been using one crutcher to guide myself, incase needed.

I'm 20 years old with LTHR

• Posted

Do it if your up to up it girlie. My surgeon gave me great advice before op. Only do what I tell you & no more. I followed his advice for almost a 7 weeks. And am very happy & painfree. Your so young to have the op.,I'm 49 (50)!in January in denial 😄
    • Posted

Hey Laura!

G'day. Going for it sounds good, but yes, rest too if tired. Both good.

Some folk are naturally timid, but bodies need movement to work well, and exercise leads to strengthening - clams, standing on one leg and walking seemed to work for me.

good luck - I'm 9 months post op, and about to walk on Dartmoor today -5 miles if weather holds. then rabbit pie and scrumpy as a reward!

mic

xx

• Posted

Hi Mic, question; I am 63 LTHR 8-24-15. I did 2 weeks in rehab after surgery then got home and did out patient for several weeks all of which was okay except stretching killed me!! I walk but if weather is bad I walk around the house, doctor said walking and leg lifts along with trying to stretch my leg to get foot on knee so to put sock and shoe on, not quite there yet lack an inch or so. I also do the clam and stand on the leg all on my own. The question is, do you still have twinges of pain in the groin area? Also the muscle down my thigh is still sore, it seems I should be farther along, think I will get an indoor bike, doctor said okay. Weather doesn't allow me to walk much now plus I live on a very busy road with no sidewalks, thanks.
    • Posted

I'm so glad to hear that your progress is going well Gossip. 49 is still young to have a hip replacement too.

My Mum is around the same age as you and needs both her knees done. Some surgeons are hesitant though.

The reason for my replacement is due to a very bad case of perthes diesease while growing up. Iv'e been seeing the same surgeon since i was 7. Its always nice to have someone do it when they have known your history smile

• Posted

Hi mic, thanks for your reply. Yes that is too true. I have an extremely busy day and then the next day i feel quite tired.

I can't wait till I'm 9 months in. 5 miles at nine months Aewsome!

Do you get any pain still?

My PT has got me doing side leg lifts for muscle that was cut into, Front leg lifts for thighs and the bridge.

• Posted

Hi Deborah,

nice to hear from you - and, as you imply, we all heal at a different rate. to be honest, no pain twinges at all. i'm 71yo, but pretty fit I guess.

I hope you can find a  park nearby to walk in, as outside brings lots of muscles into play indoors and/or gym doesn't do. Like, I can jog a little in gym, but my challenge now is to jog outside. Also, I still cannot sit on my haunches easily, got an inch or so to get there....

some one wrote it takes a full year to recover - so its a marathon not asprint!

mic

x

PS Dartmoor is lovely, but got soaked...good fun tho.

• Posted

I think the trick is to get those butt muscles, the glutes, working. That's where our power comes from and what stops us limping. I'm doing lots of lifting my leg backwards, and it really is helping. With walking and with the stairs. I have 30 stairs to get into and out of my house and some days I just don't want to leave.
    • Posted

hi Kikeena,

30 stairs is great so well done...

Last time in london underground was on crutches, so great to be there yesterday for Climate Change March. I decided on a whim to avoid one escalator and do the steps up, all 86 of them....tiring but a good challenge to me so i felt puffed but good!

you WILL get there!

Mic

xx

• Posted

I found the escalator (actually a flat 'moving pavenet' type) in our supermarket - it was getting thrown off at the top that was difficult the first time.  Used to it now though, just have to be very prepared for it.

Graham

• Posted

Hi Mic

You DO like a challenge, don't you!! 86 stairs.

I'm managing to do my stairs now! One at a time, like a big person, not like my 3 year old grandchild. But I must say, I think about it before I go out.

I have been working hard at my exercises and it's the first time in my life that I've taken on a physical challenge. I love my physio, and believe she can help me. She has made so much difference to my life. Her and this group.

I find your enthusiasm infectious mic. You are an inspiration for me.

Keena xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.