Good vitamins to add to regime for Hyperthyroid

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi group,..... In my quest to do all I can do to heal/ feel better, I'm reading here and anywhere about what supplements are good for over active thyroid diseases.   I've been on C, A&D,...b complex, and msm.    I'm wanting to add selenium and fish oils but some say they are beneficial to us hyper ones,.some say no that it can make you more hyper.   Just hoping to get a straight answer here,  btw... I've ordered the L carnitine,   So,... Selenium and fish oils - yes or no?   Thanks for your help

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Traceysue:

Fish oils like Omega 3 are good for the heart. Hyperthyroidism can cause a rapid beat and even Afib or palpitations, so you would have to see if it bothers it. Most people can take them. Eating baked salmon is a good source of fish oil.

We need a lot of minerals and vitamins to be at correct levels.

So we need:  Vit D to be good and this prevents Osteoporosis and muscle aches. It makes the bones stay strong.

We need potassium to keep our heart in line, and it can be in a multi vitamin or can be in foods like potatoes, and orange jucie.  You do not want TOO MUCH though.

We also need good levels of Ferritin and Selenium.  The body needs these levels to be okay.

Vit C helps the immune system out.   B-12 provides help in energy and helping to make new Red blood cells. It helps stop anemia.

So as in everything the body needs many minerals and vitamins to be kept at proper levels. Not too high and not too low! Just proper levels.

A lot can be obtained from a good diet and avoiding junk foods. Also watch for any high saturated fats and avoid them.  They plug up arteries if eaten a lot. Also avoid products with high sodium in them as that can cause bloating and is bad for the heart.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

I got a reply from another person she's taking Carnitine and Vitamin D supplements.  So I asked endo to order blood test for my Carnitine levels, Vit D.  She said she could do Vit D and Magnesium level tested.  As far as Carnitine I have to ask my regualar Dr.  I did get tested and Magnesium is Ok but VIt D just tad bit low.  So she said take 1000iul.  I'm also eating more mushroom and foods that are high in Vit D.

As far as Selenium, its great if you have Grave's disease with your hyperthyroid.  It helps the eyes not to bulge as much.... it's like a methimamazole for the eye.  Since methimazole helps the thyroid but not the eye... I have to write a whole sstory on how it works but long story short... Grave's = selenium and Hyper=methimazole.

• Posted

I was taking supplement before but it was making my bloodtest go whack... like up and down a lot so... I found brazil nuts, I take 1or 2 nuts per day... they have lots of selenium but it doesnt have exact amount of mg...
  • Posted

Thank you both very much!  Very helpful replys 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.