GP suspects IBS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All

My first post in this group.

In early July I started getting what can only be described as stomach cramps, I initially thought maybe I was just wearing trousers too tight, I was putting on a little bit of weight around my stomach.

This week the cramps were getting worse, mainly low down underneath my belly button, I eventually visited the GP this week, they did an examination and said my stomach highly bloated and dissented suspected IBS and placed me on a month course of Mebeverine, to see if this helps.

I was advised to go on a low FOD MAP diet, my stomach tummy area always been a bit tender for a number of years, but I rarely had constipation or diarrhoea, the stools all were normal.

Can IBS just come on, or is something which you have from earlier age? How long does Mebeverine take to work, I know I should of asked my GP this, but I forgotten at the time, because a bit taken back by it.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Mebeverine is to calm down the cramps and should work almost immediately...or within an hour. If this is not happening after about a week on this medication you should go back to your GP for further advice. Apart from cramping and bloating, has there been any change in your stools at all?

Has the Fod map diet helped at all?

• Edited

Hi Marina

Many thanks for the reply.

I have only been on Mebeverine since wednesday afternoon, though since being on it I found I am pooing daily now, than say every 2/3 days, the stools perfectly normal. I have knocked out Caffene, I am hoping to see some improvement over the weekend.

I am going to Italy for 4 days on Monday, which I gather Pasta is high FOD MAP, roll eyes!

• Posted

Gluten free pasta and everything gluten free is a low fodmap food.

• Posted

nope. that isn't a fodmap, sorry but i am coeliac and i have been on a fodmap diet. fodmap eliminates foods that could be causing your issues, it could be wheat, gluten, milk, vegetables, fruits, onions, garlic etc. you remove foods then try to add them in one by one. just take your time and do this slowly.... good luck i hope it works for you it didn't for me....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.