Granuloma annulare for almost a decade

Posted , 25 users are following.

I noticed it at 22yrs old. It was the size of a dime and on my left ankle. It didn't bother me but it looked like ringworm. Over the next year it developed on my shins and the original spot on my ankle doubled. Several doctors and creams later, I was told it would go away by itself. Well 2years later is spread again and I was diagnosed with granuloma annulare. The cream was an expensive placebo. I was told I need to take steroids now. I'm not willing to do that. Some days are better than others, some days I look like a creature. Not much information on the causes of treatment of this. Bug bites make it worse. That I do know. I live in Florida. It has gotten worse now, covering most my lower legs and feet. My fingers have developed marks as well. We can figure this disease out together. There has to be an answer. The skin is the largest organ and a reflection of your overall health. I'm 30years old. My health is very important to me. I'm thinking it has to do with my reynauds phenomenon. Another rare condition. I'm not a doctor by any means but I do have common sense. It feels weird but doesn't hurt. It gets worse under stress or intense heat. Such a weird disease, let's figure this out!!!

5 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Julia.. I had ga for about a year started with 2 spots in my hands looking like ringworm now I have it all on my back legs hands fingers neck chest and forhead.. Did steroid creams did not work... then he did give me prednisone and that did work but he only gave it to me for 10 days so I can't live off pretty soon but I notice it was going away... Now he gave me plaquenil been in it for almost 3 months all I see it doing is it not spreading but not going away... I want to back on prednisone till it goes away and keep on plaquenil I think that will help.. I to live in Florida and yes the heat makes it inflamed or an itch itch itch so I kind of like a prisoner of my own home staying inside a lot... I know my doctor won't let me have prednisone I've heard something about this ROM therapy it seems kind of strong antibiotics that I've been reading that's been helping people out so I need to ask my doctor about that ... Yes we need to know what causes this... Its so embarrassing walking around with the big Rings all over me the other time that I have there like cluster of blisters to the smaller ones but like I said I have it all over my neck my shoulders my arms my fingers my hands all up and down my legs my back my forehead but that's not too noticeable.. and my chest it's so weird that the only place I don't have it is my stomach my boobs LOL and my butt.. so basically from my head to my feet - those couple spots... Good luck and I will keep posted on what's helping me...

• Edited

There seems to be no rhymn or reason to this condition. The first time I got it.....very mildly....the sun/sunbed didn't affect it at all. Had used sunbeds all my life and holidayed abroad with no real effects. On hindsight before this horrendous flare in 2014 I did used to notice the odd little red spot on my lower legs (the original ring was on my right shin) so maybe the sun was having a minor effect n I didn't notice as I associated GA with the ring. But it was very barely anything. Then after an op n contracting the MCV virus directly all over my upper arms in June 2014 the GA went crazy! It has never calmed down since. The last 2 yr with this have been hell and this latest summer,2016, THE worst as spread to hands n have figured out sun/sunbed is making it soooo much worse. Don't hold out much hope of it ever going if sun affecting it. The only other difference from my first experience in 2010 is stress!! First time it didn't bother me, didn't stress and didn't change lifestyle. This time massive stress which is still on going 2 yr later a due to having GA n now can't tan without GA popping up which knocks my confidence even more. There must be a stress connection somewhere also maybe hormones and age as this time am post menopause and older (49) and maybe the immune system just can't cope as well plus all the cortisol from stress.....chronic stress!! Just wish it would burn itself out but wonder if the stress is feeding it?! Hopefully we'll all find a solution (other than living in a cave in Summer! ) to this nightmare disease. Good luck!

• Edited

Hi Kendra my wife has had GA for about 40 years and it was getting worse covering about 30% of her abdomen about 6 months ago she started taking 1 teaspoon of MSM with lemon juice almost everyday it is now almost all disappeared. She puts 1 teaspoon of MSM powder in a glass squeezes in half a small lemon adds a teaspoon of sugar to make it palatable and adds a bit of water. MSM is a naturally occuring product, we have read that when taking MSM with fruit juice helps the MSM to absorb. I hope it works for you we are pretty sure it it is responsible for her GA to disapear. See this thread: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/ga-and-gluten-free-521504?page=0#2254823

• Posted

Hi Grant

Just read your story about your wife having Ga.. I'm going on over a year and I'm about 50% of my body is coverd.. The only place I don't have it is my face ,stomach ,my breast.. The rest of my is coved it spread like wild flowers in the last few months doctors have put me on everything from the steroid creams to the lupus medicine one thing that did work does prednisone it was going away it was only for 10 days... But doctors will nor give it to me nomore 😢 so I was looking up this MSM and I know that you said that your wife takes the powder form but I also seen the tablet so I was just wondering what the difference was between the powder form and the tablets before I ordered... Thank you

• Posted

Hi Stephanie I wasnt aware of a MSM tablet but I assume the powder would mix with Fruit juice better. There is a lot of info on the internet some say the Flakes are a better way to take it. For us the Powder is readily available at most Chemist. After reading other people that have managed to reduce there GA it seems to be diet and food intolerance that seems to work, my Wife must have been lacking in some sort of Sulphur so the MSM worked for her. In this thread Patty has had good results after a hair analysis and diet change. I hope you find what works for you, regards, Grant.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/granuloma-spreading-536059

• Posted

hi Grant, Please tell me what MSM IS AND HOW TO ORDER IT? WAS THIS DR. RECOMMENDED? THANKS,Maxxxxxx
    • Edited

Hi Max, MSM is a naturally occuring chemical see (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylsulfonylmethane) I read somewhere that it may help GA so we just bought some powder from the chemist. Some Chemist and health food stores stock it. The article said take about 1 teaspoon with a bit of fruit juice so she tried it and the GA is almost all gone there is still a small bit of discoulred skin in places. I think you have to find out what you are lacking in you diet  she must be lacking some sort of Sulphur and the MSM has helped. I hope you figure it out.

• Posted

How long did it take her to start seeing results?  I started taking it last week after reading your post 
    • Posted

Hi Ginger she said it took about 4 months for it to show conclusive results but she was only taking it occasionally. It is probably about 2 years now and it hasn't returned and she only takes a teaspoon full about twice a week. I hope it works for you.

• Posted

Thanks so much. I’m trying to take it daily. Thanks for the information. I’m glad this worked for her!
    • Posted

Hi Ruthann It comes in a 300g plastic jar on the jar it says 100% pure crystaline MSM (methysulfonlmethane) Directions for use say; add1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) daily to food or beverages. She has 1 teaspoon 2 or 3 times a week. It hasn't been recommended by any professional just our own research and giving it a try. I'm not sure if it has worked for anyone else but I hope you can fix your GA.

• Posted

Hi Grant. Thank you so much for continuing to post about your wife's results using MSM powder for GA. I have had GA for over 15 years now and have tried everything to get rid of it and have had no success. Before I try MSM can you tell me if you have heard from others that the MSM worked for them, please?

• Posted

Hi Julia

Yes I also have GA myself found out just a little bit over a year ago then to the doctor they have gave me everything under the sun and nothing seems to help I also live in Florida so I do understand the sun triggers it really bad Burns and itches I'm about 50% covered with GA and has spread like wild flowers in the past few months the only place I do not have it is my stomach my breasts in my face and it's so embarrassing my hands my fingers my arms back of my arms my chest my neck my legs back in front and my feet are completely covered I just like at my wit's end and it's so hard to believe that the government will not do research because it's not life-threatening or it has not killed anybody it's crazy!! Yesterday I did go into a swimming pool that we have in our backyard thinking the chlorine might help it oh my God that triggered it so bad it inflamed and itch and burn so just to warn everybody that has GA do not go into a chlorine swimming pool... I just read an article on here Julia from Grant about his wife and she has done this MSM powder form that I have looked up and I'm going to do some more history I seen the powder in the tablet's form so I just message him to see which works better but I will keep you informed... Good luck.. What part ofFlorida I am in the Tampa Bay area...

• Posted

I live in key west Florida. The mosquitos down here seem to trigger my reactions. I also noticed that the chlorine has some effect on it. I have researched that food allergies and caffeine may has play a role. I'm going to try that approach and see if it helps.

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

i realize this post was over a year ago, but I, too, live in the Tampa Bay area (Valrico) and I'd love to correspond with you about the treatments you've tried. I completed one cycle of the ROM therapy (took 3 different antibiotics one day in a month for three months). Unfortunately, it did nothing for me, and my doctor does not recommend continuing the treatment. I will be trying the MSM powder. My derm is actually recommending that I sit out in the sun for 15 mins x 3 days/week.  I've avoided the sun since my GA diagnosis over 3 years ago, and I'm a bit hesitant to do that. 

Good luck to everyone with this disfiguring conditioning!

• Posted

Hi Gail

Here is my email

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.