Granuloma annulare for almost a decade

Posted , 25 users are following.

I noticed it at 22yrs old. It was the size of a dime and on my left ankle. It didn't bother me but it looked like ringworm. Over the next year it developed on my shins and the original spot on my ankle doubled. Several doctors and creams later, I was told it would go away by itself. Well 2years later is spread again and I was diagnosed with granuloma annulare. The cream was an expensive placebo. I was told I need to take steroids now. I'm not willing to do that. Some days are better than others, some days I look like a creature. Not much information on the causes of treatment of this. Bug bites make it worse. That I do know. I live in Florida. It has gotten worse now, covering most my lower legs and feet. My fingers have developed marks as well. We can figure this disease out together. There has to be an answer. The skin is the largest organ and a reflection of your overall health. I'm 30years old. My health is very important to me. I'm thinking it has to do with my reynauds phenomenon. Another rare condition. I'm not a doctor by any means but I do have common sense. It feels weird but doesn't hurt. It gets worse under stress or intense heat. Such a weird disease, let's figure this out!!!

5 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Mine started a year ago and is also general. I know mine spreads from being in the sun. I have also not found amything helpful but have tried many possible solutions.
  • Edited

I found my cure for GA.

It's Keratin. I have to avoid it completely. I threw out over 24 hair and beauty products that contained Keratin. Shampoo, face creams, conditioners, hand lotion, hair dye, even mascara had Keratin in it.

After I got rid of all Keratin products, it took 2 months before I saw that the bumps were really looking better. It's been almost 6 months and now they are healing very nicely. Some spots have disappeared completely.

See if this works for you.

• Edited

interesting... I also have Reynauds. whatever this AG is , it loves me because it keeps spreading,

. I am trying infrared light therapy and I'm hopeful.

• Edited

Hi Julia, I was finally diagnosed by a dermatologist last month. I am in my late 60's. I developed a large round spot on my foot last summer but it didn't bother me. A few months ago I started getting little pink bumps in the folds of my arms & they didn't itch . I didn't think these were connected to my foot since they didn't look anything alike but the dermatologist said they are. I live in TX & have always done outdoor activities in the summer. Last month I went to an outdoor craft show in the high heat for about an hour & a half. Later that day I noticed my skin felt so scratchy & I had to cover my upholstered chair with a sheet. Then I noticed I was broken out in little bumps under both arms, large flat solid spots on my right side of my torso under my breast & down by my panty line. I also developed the rash on the inside of my left knee & on both wrists. I have been out in the heat numerous times & I do believe that is making it worse. It has spread some down my arm from my armpit & I have a few dots on the inner side of my right knee. My skin continues to feel hyper sensitive if I am in the heat for very long. I also have had Hashimotos for about 12 years. I read online about several people taking 1/2 a tsp of MSM in tea or coffee each morning & having good results with getting rid of their ga so I ordered some online. I took my first dose with coffee this morning . I am going to take it for at least 3 months to see if I get any results. I will post my progress. So glad there is a resource to talk to others about this. I am praying for a good result.

• Edited

Hi Julia66324

I made a post on here recently title My GA. maybe some of my experience can offer some new insight, support or help.

Stress sounds like a common ingredient with most of the people posting on here.

I found better treatment through herbalist, therapy and diet.

• Edited

I "cured" myself, here is my scenario.

I received my biopsy results confirming my granuloma annulare. I was given a prescription of betamethasone, and prednisone . This all worked temporarily, but within a week or two of the stopping the prednisone, it all came back. this went on for over a year.

I have been taking 2 tablets of turmeric curcumin for years as an anti-inflammatory and part of my daily morning vitamin ritual, but it dawned on me that the purpose of turmeric is the same as prednisone, but MUCH safer. long term use of prednisone can be dangerous, and thins your skin over time.

So I doubled my dose, two in the morning, and two at night. Within a few days, the granuloma annulare subsided. Now, this alone is not "proof". The proof for me was that i went on a long road trip, and didn't bring my turmeric, I figured I was fine, and didn't need it. Well my condition came back with a vengeance! So I began by twice daily routine of turmeric again, and it went away!

Fast forward another year, same thing, didn't take my turmeric, and it came back again. Realizing now that I am one of those patients that will have it for a long time to come, I am now religious about taking it. Five years now, and still, whenever I go off of my turmeric routine, I start getting that little itch after a few days, and I know what I need to do.

• Posted

What dosage are those turmeric supplements? And how long did it take to see results the first time?

• Posted

I have had it for over 4 yrs. now, i get steroid injections into the bumps then they disappear within a couple of days but leave a light spot on whatever body part they injected. But, after a couple of weeks they appear somewhere else on my body. I've had them on my neck, chest, back, back of leg, hands, arms, scalp and stomach. They said they should only last 2 yrs. well that didn't happen. Not sure if they will ever go away. It is a weird disease and I hope you also figure it out. It isn't painful or anything but just plain ugly. Hoping they go away soon.

• Posted

Hi

have you considered therapy? or hypnotherapy? meditation? My GA was stress related/anxiety. it worked for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.