Graves Disease - Surgery Dilemma

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone,

It's been just over 3 years since I've been diagnosed with Graves Disease, and a bumpy journey it's been!

After my first taper down of Carbimazole it wasn't long after dropping to 5mg EOD that I relapsed. My endocrinologist in the NHS said now it's happened once it's pretty much guaranteed it would happen again and again, even more so being male.

I've been on 10mg now for almost a year since that and my levels are 'within range', I am still testing positive for Graves antibodies, though.

There is currently at least a one year wait for surgery (total thyroidectomy) in the NHS so I am on that waiting list, as if I have to take definitive action at some point in the next decade I'm more in the mind to just get it done, rather than have all of the ups and downs.

Even though I'm 'within healthy range', I still have some symptoms going on that weren't present before which I'm really not keen on! Mainly lack of patience, irritability, low libido, fatigue, anxiety. Not all of these symptoms all of the time, but definitely still very present and not an issue before.

I guess my dream scenario is I have the surgery and all of these symptoms go and it's happily ever after - but after reading some stories of post surgery I'm realistic to the fact that this may not happen.

I wonder if I should be doing more now to see if I can eradicate these symptoms and leave surgery as long as possible, or whether people agree it is the best thing to proceed with and I should at least see some decent improvements.

In terms of what I'm currently doing to improve my symptoms, this includes; getting good sleep (as much as I can with a baby!), exercising regularly, eating healthily, taking Vit D, Magnesium, Cod Liver Oil etc, trying to keep stress low (again not easy when self employed through COVID and having a lively child).

If anyone could share any experiences, tips, or words of wisdom I would be really grateful 😃

I'm just worried about pushing for surgery and I end up feeling no better or worse.

Thank you!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.