Graves disease therapy thyroid tightness

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on therapy with Methimazole for the past weeks after having been diagnosed with Graves disease (original measurements TPO antibodies: over 3000 (normal 0-60) , TSH: under 0,01 (normal 0,3-4,2), TSH receptor antibodies: 2,4 (normal 0-1,8), Free T3 : 11 (normal 2,5-5,1), Free T4: 26,4 (normal 12-22)).

The endocrinologist started me off at 30mg, which was then reduced to 15mg after subsequent testing showed I was responding extremely well and had values of clinical Hypothyroidism, the same happend again and the dosis was reduced to 10mg and afterwards again to 7.5mg.

Now I have been feeling this extreme check/neck tightness which I can only assume is somehow related to the treatment of Graves disease for the past weeks? It's a very uncomfortable feeling sort of like having extreme pressure in one's throat. Is this common in Graves disease, have others experienced this and what is the reason for it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

I've been taking carbimazole for a month.

After a few days in it felt like someone was lightly squeezing my throat. Or like id got a shirt on that was tight around my neck.

It went after a while but i still have swallowing anxiety now.

Some of it is in my head because of stress but i do have bad reflux in my throat.

• Edited

It's a very strange feeling. I cannot describe it properly, because there's nothing that properly describes it.

It sorts of like a tightness from strangulation, but there's no pressure on the outside and it's all coming from inside. Sort of like my throat, neck, thyroid is under pressure that would make it implode.

I do feel like it gets slightly better for a short time right after eating something.

Are there any forums or patient communities of people with Graves disease?

• Posted

Not sure. Seems quiet on this forum these days.

I get what you mean. It's hard to describe.

I got it when i started carbimazole. I stopped taking it as i was worse than before i started thyroid meds but got ill after a few days so started taking it again.

Two days after starting it and it's happening again.

Not sure what it is. feels like veins swelling near the thyroid i suppose. A tight feeling that scares you but never gets that tight.

Dr said it's reflux in throat but I'm sure it's the thyroid medication. I have read of others having similar trouble but can't seem to find that site now.

• Edited

Hi fred37280, your TPO antibodies are way over normal and are an indication that your immune system is targeting your thyroid. This is more typical with Hashimoto's disease but can occur with Graves' disease as well. Your thyroid was probably swollen.

I was diagnosed with Graves' disease 8 years back (FT4 around 60) and for the last 2 years my thyroid levels have been normal.

My treatment plan, when I was first diagnosed, was similar to yours. I remember the tightness around the neck, and the endocrinologist examining my thyroid by palpating my neck. I remember a strange fluttering sensation coming from my thyroid if that makes any sense. Methimazole reduces the production of thyroxine and also has an anti-inflammatory effect. I hope you are feeling better by now. You seem to have responded very well to your treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.