Graves eye disease help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello i have very recently been diagnosed with Graves disease and have noticed changed in my eyes for about 4 months prior to the diagnosis.

I have been referred to a Ophthalmologist by my Endocrinologist however i have a 3 month wait for my appointment for initial consultation with the Ophthalmologist

I'm concerned as from what I've been reading fast treatment is essential for the long term outcomes.

I'm really keen to do what i can so my eyes do not get worse. Ive read that Sodium selenite 100mcg twice a day could improve outcomes if taken for 6 months. I can get this myself over the counter but just wondered if anyone had any experience or advice.

My eyes are swollen, red and have a burning sensation.

I'm currently taking propylithiouracil. I had a severe allergic reaction to Carbimazole 6 weeks ago. As a result I'm on high dose Fexofenadine for 2 months and beta blockers to lower my heart rate.

Any advice on improving my eyes or making preventing them from getting worse would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

your eyes are precious, so don't mess with them. you need to see an opthamologist. they are very good at taking care of your eyes. i had Graves myself, and my eye doctors gave me two

different drops that i continue to take one daily and the other is twice daily. i also had a new prescription for my glasses. Stay safe and see a professional for your health problems.

God bless.

Moody

• Posted

I have been referred to a health professional but its a 3 month wait. Selenium has been found in studies to help with the long term effects.

Because my eyes are precious i want to help them straight away if i can not in 3 months time.

• Posted

hi there,

i cannot seem to create a new thread but i had a test at the opticians yesterday which has left me rather upset.

however i googled graves disease eye issues and i seem to have the early signs of eye problems.

I was told these issues would not affect me maybe 10 or more years down the line, or at least thats what i thought.

I feel as though its my fault for continuing my lifestyle as if nothing had changed and in addition to this i work with computers.

anyway my query if anyone can answer is who do i go to about this? i am rather concerned and its all i am thinking about.

Also is there anything i can do until i recieve treatment?

sorry for posting on the reply part , maybe itll let me post a question at a computer rather than on my phone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.