GYN just told me I have AV and I have issues I have not seen here.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a 66 yr. old, hysterectomy in 2008, issues with a bit of a drooping bladder, but not real bad.  Dryness for the last few years.  Three days ago thought I had a yeast infection (due to intense itching and redness). Tried one day Monistat suppository. Next day not any relieve.  Went to GYN, could not find any yeast, but because of the Monistat it might mask it, so she gave me Diflucan just to make sure. She also said I had a bad case of Atrophic Vaginitis, and my membranes were very thin, irritated, inflamed. Even though she was very careful the exam was painful.  She told me to use Permarin .615 mg cream inside and on the area everyday for two weeks and then back off to once a week. After two days, the redness has decrease a little, irritation is still there big time and I still have a lot of itching.  The issue is it is hard to sit, I feel burps of air coming out and I feel pressure in my vagina (especially when I stand or walk) and it feels like something moving or wanting to slide out of my vagina. I do not think it is my bladder. I have checked with a mirror as well and do not see anything protruding in the opening. Question: Have anyone had this pressure feeling and how long does it take Premarin to work and to feel better.  I also got some KY jelly to put on in the day so I am not too dry. Still very itchy. It is hard to just leave the house. This is scary.  Thinking I need to call my GYN after the weekend.  Anyone have any words of wisdom?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had a lot of pressure after having my ovary removed and going into AV. I could barely walk as it hurt so much and sitting down was very painful. Using the HRT cream and also vaginal exercises help. I started the exercises after finding that if I really squeezed in my tummy the pressure slightly lifted, so I started doing kegel vaginal exercises. They increase the blood flow to the area apparently and also help any prolapse. 
    • Posted

Hi I wondered if you had VA problems before your ovary /ovaries were removed or if VA was brought on by it?

Was you prewarned that VA could result?

• Posted

Hi bk

i too have vaginal dryness due to post menopause, also told this by Gyno

i have used Ovestin vaginal Estriol ovules and cream 

i wont use premarin ( presonally ) as its equine and made from pregnant mares urine.. 'It that what you meant Premarin'..

My gyno said to also use ovestin cream on the outer skin too as that also thins, tightens etc .

the bladder urethra also shrinks, becomes, thin and tightened and can cause irritation, the vaginal estriol helps bladder urethra  too .

i prefer the ovestin ovules vaginally as they are silky and smooth and very soothing. I have been using since last sept.

i only use ine a week infact i halve the ovule and use half twice weekly.

in between i use premeno duo ( non hormonal ) ovules and all has improved greatly.

the ovestin cream i use twice weekly a tiny amount on outer bits especially around vaginal entrance to keep from thinning etc .

i have a very mild uterine prolapse and this also helps thats discomfort too.

Gynest cream is similar to Ovestin ..

i am aged 51 next month and 20 months post meno, no HRT orally, just this type of HRT vaginally for VA ..

hope all improves soon for you

jay

• Posted

Yes I meant Premarin.  Is Ovestin vaginal Estriol ovules and cream also a hormone?  I was put on  Premarin so it will help build the tissue back up.   I have to find something to help the itching though as I am having a lot of discomfort and itching and it is driving me crazy.  

• Posted

Hi

Yes Ovestin is the weakest estrogen, called Estriol.

I suffered too felt like i was sitting on a prickly hedgehog.

But all much better now

Jay x

• Posted

I think one of the issues I am having is the inflamation of the area between the vaginal opening and the  urethra. It seems to be the worst, red, very very tender and so uncomfortable.  Hard to walk and sit. Any suggestions?
    • Posted

A lot of ladies including myself have some relief from pure virgin coconut oil. It can also be used as a lubricant before sex and has healing properties. It comes in a solid form and can be melted by running under a hot tap or a blast from a hairdrier. Hydromol which is like Vaseline stops friction either on docs prescription or can be bought on Amazon. No irritants and can be used in the shower. I am on Vagifem which is a pessary form of estriol for AV and after about a year it has made a huge difference to my AV, Hope this helps. Regarding discomfort sitting down. Use a sea salt bath and then rub on the coconut oil.
    • Posted

Thank you.  Can I use the coconut oil along with the hormone cream? Sex is not happening, can't even think of it until this is totally cleared up. Just going to the GYN was enough pain to put me through the roof. I am miserable just trying to walk and sit and go about my day-to-day activities. Last few days I have been totally home and canceled all the activities over Memorial Day weekend.  I have a small trip by car coming up this next Thursday and praying I feel better, if not this is going to be one miserable trip

• Posted

carmarie, I use the Premarin at night so proabbly could use the coconut oil in the day. Does it help with the itching. Never have had itching like this before.  Took the Difulcan  just to be sure it knocked out any yeast, but this itching is worse than any yeast infection I have ever had.  If things are not somewhat better in two days I will call the GYN as I have to go on a short trip in four days and cannot even think of it right now becasue I feel so aweful. 
  • Posted

Hi

I had all the problems you are having with sitting etc, I bought one of these circular ring cushions with the hole in the middle, it looks like a giant Polo Mint. I got mine from a medical supply shop, but I am sure they can be bought from Amazon. Because there is a hole in the middle of the cushion, your 'undercarriage ' is not having pressure on it. I used it for about 6 weeks until the ointments & creams got the inflammation under control. Hope this helps and it does get better, it just takes time.  Good Luck

• Posted

Thanks lorna65.  Apprecaite your advice.  Will try the pillow for sure and hope the cream starts to work.  Actually today I felt a tad better. I hope each day continues with improvment. Wished I had known about this kind of thing so I could have been more alert and caught it before it got so bad.  Live and learn. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Oh you poor thing, so uncomfortable for you. Mainly you need to keep things as moist as possible. I have AV and try to manage my symptoms on a daily basis. I have found too many different things seem to work against each other and then there is no relief. As for keeping my skin moist I use vitamin E from vitamin E capsules bought at the chemist or supermarket which I pierce and rub the oil on the dry area.

if you are suseptable to getting candida which makes things worst, it is favourable to take stock of your diet as some foods encourage the yeast infection.

• Posted

Thanks Sus28.  Today was a little better. I will try the Vit E and maybe the coconut oil as well and see which one works better for me.  

The bladder prolaps seems to be worse during this bout with AV.  If I can just get the AV to calm down and improve then I will see if I have to deal with the bladder.  I can't belive I have gone from hardly any issues to this within a few days. Just got back into excercising and trying to get into better shape and this challenge happens.  So now that is at a stand still.  Thanks for your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.