Had THD procedure 9 days ago, feels like i have external haemorrhoids back, anyone else??...

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had THD (sometimes known as HALO) procedure 9 days ago, the last couple of days it feels like i have external haemorrhoids back, my husband says they look like them, large and inflamed!... I'm so upset and frustrated, had been feeling ok as was recovering quite well. Very uncomfortable and painful after bms but i was expecting this and had prepared for it mentally and physicallay. I've not had to strain when going to toilet, in fact going regularly since 2nd day, so no constipation. I've also had a stitch come out today after bm (surgeon said all my stitches were interanl) Has anyone else had any similar experiences??... Advice please, feeling so low...

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Edited

you're still too early I would wait at least 3 months to see if they're all completely gone.I had to stapling procedure done. I had that done in April and now I'm about to go in next Monday to get externals just cut off. I am terrified because I know how much pain it is. but don't freak out just yet you have to wait at least 3 months to make sure all the swelling goes down to see if you are healed

Jaime

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply.. I know its early days, but it just seems strange as it all seemed so 'tidy' down there apart from expected bruising and swelling, and then omg painful swellings all over again!!

It doesn't help that my surgeon went on holiday the day after my procedure and i won't be seeing him for another week.. I'm in the UK by the way and went private. Where are you?

• Posted

Maybe it's a clot. I had one after my surgery anda had to have it removed. I am in the us. Maybe if it gets to bad you should go to the er.
  • Posted

Hi Nikki, I had the HALO procedure in May for internal haemorrhoids. I was in a lot of pain and was off work for a month - it was a horrible experience. After a few weeks I was recovering but just before my 6 week check up I was in excrutiating pain again and had a look using a mirror. I could see what looked like an inflamed haemorrhoid, I was upset and tearful and conviced I'd have to have the operation again. I researched on the internet and read that some people can suffer from thrombosed haemorrhoids after the HALO procedure (something I wasn't told). At my check up, the surgeon's assistant said I did have a thrombosed haemorrhoid but not to worry and it would settle down but to be patient as these things take time. She said she could lance it but that often causes even more issues.I was not convinced so another check up appointment was made. By the time that appointment came around everything had indeed settled and although I did go to the appointment I didn't really need to. I found that warm baths and rest helped - try not to stand for too long. As for the stitch, some of mine came out with BM's too - something else thay don't tell you. It's now 6 months since my op and I'm fine and glad I had it done. so try not to feel low as it does get better - it just takes a lot more time than you think/hope it will. (The surgeon who did my op told me I'd need a week off work - what a joke that advice was!). Good luck & hope you feel better soon.   
    • Posted

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I went private for procedure for internal and external hems. Surgeon did THD, all going well, healing nicely, then omg where did these external swellings come from?.. Panicking i'm thinking they must have 'fallen' out and its all gone wrong! (i do suffer with anxiety and panic attacks so this really isn't helping...)

Hasn't helped that my surgeon went abroad the day after i was discharged and i'm not due to see him for check up for another week...

Did your surgeon explain why some people suffer with thrombosed haemerroids after this procedure?

How long would you say it took for you to feel 'normal' and for everything down below to feel/appear normal?

Where do you live?

Thanks again, really appreciate the reassurance!

• Posted

Hi again - I've just remembered something the surgeon's assistant said at my check up. If you do have thrombosed haemorrhoids after HALO, apparently your body gradually absorbs them which is why they takes so long to settle down.
  • Edited

Hi, I had the HALO procedure done by the NHS in the UK for internal haemorrhoids. It probably took around 2 months for everything to feel reasonably ok. Even then I tried to be careful with lifting and standing for too long. I don't know why they tell you that you will only need a week to recover, it took me much longer. I made sure I didn't strain when going to the loo but it was still agony for a while. I would give it a few days to see if there's any improvement but seek medical advice it it gets worse rather than better. I really don't know why some people get clots, I only found out by researching on the internet and the surgeon  just said some people get them and they are absorbed by the body but it doesn't happen quickly.
    • Edited

A quick update - yesterday one of my surgeons colleauges contacted me (as my surgeon is abroad on hol) and answered my concerns... He said that they use botox during the procedure (which i had been told), and that sometimes afterwards that casues things to relax a bit too much and therefore allow tissue to hang back down (i wasn't warned about this, why don't they tell us about these things so we won't worry so much?!!)

He said this is quite common and should resolve with time, this can be up to 3 months! So i'm still early days and to try not to worry... Not easy - i took so long to pluck up courage to have surgery, now going through all this pain, unable to even walk my little boy to and from school for weeks etc. so I dread it not working..... 

Little Miss RC, You said you had what looked like an inflamed external hemmeroid before you went for your check up, what did your surgeon say it was? How long did it take for it to go? I have a check up with my surgeon next Mon (just over 2 weeks post op) so will see what he says.. 

It's good to hear you're further along and really happy you had the procedure. Gives me hope...

Thanks xx

• Posted

had thd with mucopexy done exactly two weeks ago. a few days ago, i noticed my bum hurt worse and had prolapse almost as bad as before. i noticed what appears to be a new internal hemorrhoid that looks raw and red at the end (maybe this is one that had been stitched up?) and a couple smaller external hemorrhoids that had never been there before. i've stayed away from straining, taking the exact amount of laxatives and fiber as recommended (there was only one incidence of straining and my bum looked and felt exactly as it had prior to this new incidence). i have a follow up appt in two weeks since my doctor is out of the office until then. i have been in panic mode for the past few days and though my doctor says this is a normal part of the healing process, i don't understand how it could have happened overnight from neat and tidy to worse than before. can anyone give me any advice or hope that this will get better? 
    • Posted

i had the same procedure done about 3-4 months ago. the big one which inflated like a balloon did swell up after the procedure and it took 2-3 weeks for it to slowly shrink down.

• Posted

I had the procedure done 6 weeks ago - all fine until week 3 and now have prolapse and pain like pre surgery. just wondering if the procedure has worked for you? thank you

• Posted

i am 14 days after surgery. in absolute agony and just want to sleep and not wake up. i am desperate for help from anyone

• Posted

im 7days post op (THD and 5 large tags)and the moments after BM and wash (noooo way can i wipe), are the worst. tears and exhaustion. i did call and ask about tag cauterisation seemingly still there and he explained that theres a lot of swelling etc and to be patient (im counting on him!). i am curious about bright yellow urine (consideirng im so hydrated i could float) or whether its related to the surgery

• Posted

3 Months after THD and mucopexy procedure. I haemorraged, and had megga clots afterwards. Intially afterwards, things looked fine. within 2 weeks............ HUGE external piles, and internal ones too. This procedure just doesnt work! Ive been in agony ever since, and am still bleeding 3 month after. Been back to my consultant over and over. The latest, I‘ve been informed is that piles DONT cause pain. He said the THD has been a success, and dismissed the external piles. Eh, NO! I’m in pain, and clearly this is as bad, if not worse than before I had the THD!.... Now sending me for an MRI. I‘m now wanting to push for a full haemorroidectomy. Yeah it will be painful... but long-term these piles have got to go!

• Posted

I had a similar experience recently. The THD hasn't worked and I've been left with much more painful internal haemorrhoids than I had before, plus a brand new very painful external haemorrhoid. I wish I'd never had the procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.