had total hip replacement..... fed up with limited mobility........

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had my total hip replaced in September, been left with an inch longer leg too, finding it very hard to adjuyst as on the same leg, had 2 half knee replacements which were messed up, so had to have a full knee replacement, which has left me with little use of knee, so with that and the hip, very hard, still waiting for hospital to sort out my only pair of boots, which they have had since beginning of December, feeling fed up and down, as also carer for my husband........any advice on getting better use of leg ........

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Susan, I feel for you, I really do. It's hard enough getting through all this without having to be caring for someone else. I have a strong suspicion that being a carer with all the stress involved has contributed to my own arthritis. I see that medical opinion is now coming round to accepting that arthritis is less to do with wear and tear and more to do with inflammation. If possible I would love to be able to undertake research into the backgrounds of people who need hip replacements. Anyway, is it certain that your leg is longer because it can be that the pelvis is tilted which makes the leg appear to be longer? Have you had or are you having physio?
    • Posted

Hi Juliette, yes have had leg measured from bone to ankle,and is an inch longer, went for physio as have no strengh in leg, cant have anymore till i get shoes from hospital, i have little bend in knee as opened so many times, cant kneel on the floor, but manage, mine is too from osteoarthritis, i am 59, it was refreshing finding this site, as felt alone as all my ops have gone wrong, didnt realise there are so many, i also art have in my spine, so have injections every year.... i dont complain as care more about looking after my hubby than myself, thank you for answering,
  • Posted

Hi Susan, I am sorry u r having so many problems. Well, if you know that one leg is longer than the other I would think putting a lift in the shoe of the shorter leg would help. Usually, here in US, drugstores and physical therapy places carry a selection of smaller orthotics but podiatrists ( foot doctors) can send you to a shoe store that makes custom lifts. I don't think it takes months to get it done though.

i feel for your knee problems as I have had one arthroscopic knee surgery followed by two total knee replacements on same knee, and one aging knee replacement in the other leg. The swelling does not go down , likely because the operations messed up the lymphatic draing system ; there was a lot of inflammation and damage caused by first knee slowly disintegrating then breaking. It's been a year but doc says it will just take time to resolve the issue. Do you think the THR was cause of legs being different lengths  or the knee surgeries?

Some  osteoarthritis is now being linked to the autoimmune system, and much of the pain is caused by the inflammatory response to the degenerative changes. Many people get some pain relief thru anti inflammatory meds, which are avaiable without a prescription. Do you have any access to caretaker relief like visiting nurses or respite day care? That would really help take some stress off of you. Like Juliette said,any stress can slow heeling & recovery, so maybe find someone who will be supportive or help you with getting medical care arranged.

i hope you find help soon and start feeling better. My THR is 2 wks away!

• Posted

Like you, I had my bone to ankle measured, and I'm 1-1/2" short.  It's not a tilted hip or anything the doctors like to blame it on.  I found my surgeon put in the wrong size femur neck.  I now have a malpractice attorney!  I'm also getting my replacement replaced in two weeks.  Do you know how wide your femur neck is?  And what size femur neck did they implant??  Get your X-rays and all your medical records, and take them to a different surgeon for a second opinion.
    • Posted

Hi hon, no i dont know when i left hospital, i wasnt offered any help physio or anything, i went back for my six week check, where i didnt even see a doctor or consultant or had an xray, just saw nurse, who referred me to orthotics, ( who confirmed the length increase and put a request in for physio ) the hospital which 9 miles approx said i was out if their catchment area, so referred me to doct, when phoned them i was 359 on list, so went and saw doctor who got me in sooner, and also told me while i was in hosp in sept this now being November, my blood tests taken in hospital shew i was anemic, no one told me, i dont see my consultant till April, i am more annoyed that i cant even put a pair of socks on and have problem dressing myself, in the last 7 years i have jyst had one disaster after another..... i dont like moaning about it, and always just say i am just unlucky, but after reading on here its too common...........thank you for your advice. ........
    • Posted

I don't know what country you're in; I'm in the US.  My surgeon's office scheduled physical therapy immediately after surgery and the PTlasted 6 weeks.  I think it's awful that you didin't get any PT.  They need to get your muscles strengthened.  I think it's standard that every hip replacement patient gets physical therapy after surgery.  Anyone else on this chat ... is this true with you?  At my six week check-up, they took X-rays.  You should moan! It's my opinion that something is very wrong that you were ignored once the surgery was completed.  Honestly, if I were you, I'd get an attorney.  This seems like medical malpractice with everyone connected with your doctor.  Again, call your doctor's office and see what you need to do to get all your medical records, X-rays, etc.  I had to fill out a form. Fight! Scream!  If you want to see your doctor, call the office and demand to get an appointment NOW to see your doctor.   The squeeky wheel gets the oil, you know.  If you want to see another doctor to get a second opinion, call one and make an appointment.   Don't let this go.  Fight for your rights.
    • Posted

Hi Lyn, i am in UK, I rang my surgeon office this afternoon, she told me they dont xray at 6 week check up, and wait till i get my raised shoe back then if i still feel the same to ring her back, having to cancel physio again, only had one sesdion since i had it done in Sep, and that only cause nurse requested it at 6 week check, i could go on about the disasters i have unluckily had but it would take all night, sad i just been unlucky, but will wait till get my shoes back, hopefully soon, they had them since 4th dec....... thank you Lyn for your input........ this forum is helping me loads if notjing else to cope ......
    • Posted

My doctor suggested I have my shoes built up.  I said 'are you kidding?  Do you know how many shoes women have?"  I refuse to do that.  I'm have my replacement replaced in a couple weeks.  I'm not going to let an arrogant doctor be condenscending and think he can tell me to get my shoe built up ... just to cover up what he screwed up!  I will get my hip fixed and go through the pain and recovery and PT before I will walk around with a shoe built up.
    • Posted

Ha ha love it, i dont do shoes, only have two pairs and pair boots, one pair shoes and boots being done, cant wait to catch up with consultant, as not wasting money on shoes i dont, want......
    • Posted

Here in the UK we don't get physiotherapy after hip replacement. We are sent home with a sheet of exercises to do. Only if we return some months or years later with a problem do we get physio. That usually consists of one or two meetings with a physiotherapist and a sheet of exercises. That is,unless you can pay, then you can have as much as you like!
    • Posted

Very true hon, so in othet words we have to put up with it, when the local medical centre said i was 359 on the list, i said that will be 5 to 6 months then, might as well forget it, my doctor at local surgery got me in earlier, had one appointment, as you say sent home sheet paper, come back when shoes done, not good, it typical thing today, so whats the point, in hosp they good the nurses but physio just see you can get on off bed, up down stairs, two sheets paper bye you can go home now. .......
    • Posted

That doesn't seem right that you have to be responsible for your own PT.  I am terrible at doing my exercises at home.  I'm a wuss and don't like pain, so I don't push myself.  Insurance here in the US pays for PT, for as much as we need.  I am blessed I have really good insurance.  
    • Posted

I was anemic after my surgery too and my vitamin D bottomed out from staying indoors so long. Anemia left me feeling so weak.
    • Posted

That is terrible to have to wit that long! Here in the States I began physio while in the hospital and was sent home with physical therapist who came to my home 3 times a week.

I understand how difficult it would be to have to master the exercises on your own!

• Posted

I am in the States and I agree you have to fight for your rights! I am searching for a malpractice attorney myself! A botched THR.
    • Posted

I wondered why i tired all the time with no strengh, but angry the hospital didnt tell me, i was in longer as i an Angina attack, and only found out when i went to my doctor two months later, that i was anemic and had to take iron tablets, that was naughty i think..
    • Posted

I just re-read this and stopped short when you mentioned having had an angina attack.   Had you had heart problems before this surgery? This is a serious thing to have and you should have had a cardiologist consult. Usually they give you a tiny tablet to put under your tongue called Nitroglycerin, and this stops the chest pain

Maybe you had something else?

• Posted

Hi Lee I have had Angina since i was 41 and on all the medication, and the consultants were and are aware of this, and they take all precautions while i am in surgery, this happened day after surgery, which is why i was in longer, whst i was saying is that because they were tsking blood reguarly to keep eye on me, the bloods apprently shew i was anemic and no one told me.........
    • Posted

Ok, that makes sense-- I was about to freak if nobody told you about angina & heart problems. I tell you, now when I go to doctors I ask to see any &

all test / lab results. Then if I don't understand them I ask for clarification.

Use to be they acted like this material was a big secret-- then we were told that all info the docs had was our property and we had a right to see our  charts.  Also over here people sue doctors and other people all the time, often over small things, so health care providers document everything -they are scared about lawsuits--- you could sue a doc or hospital for failure to disclose information .

• Posted

All In all it sounds like US has the better medical and surgurical for thr.  I am in my 4th month and am almost free of pain.  Before I went in other thr patients advised that I make sure I do the physio therapy......that that will make a big difference.  If I hadn't fallen and severely bruised my knees I would be almost 100 per cent.  I still do my exercises and have done them every day since the op.....well, almost everyday!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.