had total hip replacement..... fed up with limited mobility........

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had my total hip replaced in September, been left with an inch longer leg too, finding it very hard to adjuyst as on the same leg, had 2 half knee replacements which were messed up, so had to have a full knee replacement, which has left me with little use of knee, so with that and the hip, very hard, still waiting for hospital to sort out my only pair of boots, which they have had since beginning of December, feeling fed up and down, as also carer for my husband........any advice on getting better use of leg ........

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, I have one leg longer than the other and the thr was 4 months ago.  My dr. Measured and agreed but suggested I hold off on a lift until the hip settles down.  I have scoliosis and would strongly lean towards the curvature as the reason I am "crooked".  As a result of putting more pressure on the longer leg, I have lower back pain on that side, so I concocted my own solution......went to a shoe cobbler who sold me some heel lifts.  I then bought a set of dr.scholls support and put that in my shoe.  I am in warmer weather now and like to wear sandels (Tevas) so I did the same thing with those.  It does help and I have almost got rid of that back pain.  Very happy with the hip operation.......but I fell in the parking lot of a restaurant and crashed on my two knees and hands.........now trying to recupe from that.......thank goodness I didn't hurt the hip!  Must be in there pretty good!
    • Posted

Ouch I bet that hurt, iI can fall off flip flops...... I wouldn't mind the length thing so much if I hadn't had my knee messed up, and because it the same side, causes me problems as can't reach my feet as not much bend in my knee, but grateful to be free of arthritic pain, so that one blessing, mainly just want my independence back...... Hope you are well and your knees, are ok
  • Posted

I know and I was really feeling pretty good too.  Am going to try to get back on my bike and see how that goes.  I can almost get rid of the knee pain by taking a Tylenol or naproxen.  Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Thank you, have tried to ride, but knee wont go round, far enough ....... so shanks pony for me........ and all the best to you hon....
    • Posted

I couldn't do the bike either with my knees so I sold the regular bike and bought a recumbant bike.  So much easier on my knees, hips and back. Your legs out out straighter, not bent so much.  One of the best purchases I've made!
  • Posted

Susan I can relate to you. I'm 33 years old and I had my first left hip replacement in Oct. 2014 leaving my leg 1 1/2 inch longer and recently had my right hip done Dec. 29 2014 and now I'm a 1/2 longer on the right. Doctor said he tried his best to even me out. Recovery from the second surgery is worse than the first one.

2 min

• Posted

Thats terrible hon, i have heard having a second done is worse, dont think i will be going down that road, ehen they messsed my knee 3 times, now the hip, yes i am grateful to be free ftom arthritic pain, but are you when your mobility is limited, all the best to you hon.....
    • Posted

Hi i will be having the THR for my right hip and i am 41 am not sure if i will need my left one replaced too. I have been under sp much confusion as to whether i should proceed with the surgery. However considering the benefits have decided to go ahead with the same . Please let me know if you were diagnosed to go for a surgery for the other hip at the same time. Thanks in advance.
    • Posted

Yes ma'am I was diagnosed to have bilateral hip replacements at the same time. It was my decision which one I had done first. The pain I was having before surgery in my left hip is completed gone. I'm just 2 weeks post op for my right hip so I can't if the pain is gone yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.