Haemhorroidectomy advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone had a haemhorroidectomy recently?

I'm due to have surgery in October but after reading experiences on here I feel like cancelling but on the other hand can't carry on like this.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Hi Leanne,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Everyone’s situation is different, so what works for one person may not work for another.

Without a doubt, recovering from haemorrhoid surgery can be extremely painful and often taking months to heal.

I’m sure you’ve read some horror stories on this site, about long and painful recoveries, but I think most people are better off after surgery.

My advice would be to have a very detailed discussion with your surgeon on exactly what to expect post surgery.

If you do go ahead with the surgery, read some of the posts on this site on how to make your recovery a little easier, but be prepared to be out of action for at least a month.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Ian

• Edited

Thanks for your reply Ian. My surgeon has been very honest & pretty much said what you have.

• Posted

Hi

some good advice on here but i would definitely get your diet sorted out before surgery and make sure your bowels are completely empty .

have you discussed Halo Rar surgery with your doctor ?

• Posted

Hi

Thank you! What sort of diet would you recommend?

No my surgeon said the haemhorroidectomy is most effective.

Thanks for replying.

Leanne

• Posted

hi

just to let you know i didnt follow this advice myself (stupidly ) but i read on here that recovery is easier if you increase your fluid intake and do all the reasonable stuff

greens fish water up to three litres a day !

i was told by my doctor but i am 95 kilos

before the op maybe 48 hours or so before get on to soups and liquid only so there is nothing in your bowel thats solid and nothing to pass , i can only tell you from my experience that i felt a complete dissconnect from my bowel it was a strange feeling and i wasnt at all comfortable for at keast seven days

another tip is to not take tramamdol if you can help it , these medications constipate you and caused me a few days of felling very weird and i raved in the 90 s !!

if you can stick to paracetamol and nurofen , as soon as i stopped with the tramadol on day three i started to feel better , that said it took me at least ten days to feel better

but you will feel BETTER

i am glad i had the procedure carried out

hope all goes well

any other questions

ask away !!!

• Posted

just another few tips

if you can sleep alone as my sleep was very broken and i had sole pretty bad night sweats .

also if you are passing gas with a wound or stitches it isnt going to be pleasant .

make friends with your bath and bathe a couple of times a day

if you dont have a bath buy a sitz bath and a chair to sir in the shower have the bath warm not too hot

the most comfortable way i found was to lay across the bed with my head over the corner and sleep with my arms propped up on pillows

sanitary towels will help you out a lot as you dont want to be washing constsntly when you should be resting.

finally relax let your body heal i think two to three weeks is the norm for HALO Rar

it took me that long

if i think of anything else i will add it in

if you have kids get some help with them

you will need to rest

it really isnt that bad

its more uncomfortable than anything else

• Posted

sorry about the typos

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.