Haemorrhoidectomy: Post Op and beyond

Posted , 3 users are following.

This thread is to give my experience post op.

Day 0.

Scheduled to go to the hospital at 7:30am. Booked in no problem, just thirsty from lack of water. Was no.3  on the list so went into theatre at 11:30 ish. Nice anaesthetists, no issue with the general being put in. Drifted away quickly it seems. Only bad thing was th surgical stockings they made me wear, clashed with my gown.

Woke up at 1:30 with a really sore throat and blocked nose and ears. Side effects of the general it seems. Bum was a little painful at this time. 2:00 moved to recovery room, still feeling a little sleepy. Had some water and he a nice cuppa. Had some bread and butter (they wouldn't let me leave if I didn't eat). No problems with the waterworks but did feel the need for a poo or pump. Nothing came though, no straining!!

Had an ibuprofen with the tea as felt pain. 30 minutes later it much have kicked in, as it was a dull throb then. Tried to do some puzzles in my book but kept dozing off. Nice nurse kept coming in to the my BP every so often and changed. Dressing when a bit fell out. Had a wander round the ward and got dressed. No problem walking, though balance was a bit wonky at times. Wife collected me at about 5 ready to go home.

Got in, had another pee. Opened get well box of pressies, had a drink off tea, snarled some of the kids scampi and had a weetabix laced with flax seeds. Drinking lots of water,ergo peeing a lot and sitting on a hot wat bottle to relive urge to poop. Took a codeine at 5 as well as a paracetamol and antibiotic, next set of Meds is about 10ish.

pain rating 3/10. No worse than a bad day of haemorrhoids at the moment.

Time will tell...

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

When was ur op mine 2nd one was April 2014 wasn't as bad recovery most of my pain was anus bruising I was black n blue but baths n Meds helped that x x
    • Posted

Mine was 11th Feb. Pain seems to have gone apart from the spasms. Hardest part is not straining to poop. Aside from that all good.
  • Posted

You,re home????? Fabulous! Everything must have gone to plan! I'm so pleased for you that the ops over. Sounds like you're having not too bad a time of it but take it you'll be walking like John Wayne??? Lol. Did you get some selfies with the surgical stockings? If it maybe gets a bit rougher in the next few days at least you know you are now pile free!!! Lol. Hope you get a decent sleep tonight. E. 
  • Posted

Day 1. Last night wasn't the best. Was given 3 gel syringes for insertion and wasted two of them. Saving the third for my first bowel movement. Have bought some more though. And as I was typing that, guess what, Bowel movement. First had to poop the plugs out, no easy task, then the offending poop. I have to be honest and say no pain whatsoever. Not being macho, but then I did do it in the Sitz bath bidet thing. Still feel as though I have more to give, but no straining! Stopped bleeding pretty swift too.

Back to last night, pain was about a 4. Then I discovered the joys of a hot bath. Pain dropped to a 1. Even reduced the pain Meds today. Wife wasn't happy I slept in the bath most of the night but hey, for a pain free experience, I'll take what I can. Spent pretty much 95% of the day in the bath, topping it up but it's what worked for me and seems to have helped with the BM. My hair feels rubbish though.

There have been spams when I drift off, about 7 on the pain scale but it lasts less than a seconds and then the pain goes when I focus my concentration on the area. Was so worried about the bowel movement having read horror stories about them on the net. Pleased it's done now. I'll write more tomorrow...

• Posted

Hello! Wondered where you've been or more to the point if you had been! I'm so pleased it's not as bad as it might have been ! Doesn't matter where or how you get comfy as long as you do. As for your hair.........I'm saying nothing!!! Lol. Get better quickly. E.

• Posted

Day 2, some steps forward and back.

well, got woken about 5am for 4 really rather large bowel movement. Not painful, but tricky to know when I've finished (caused an issue later)

Spent less time in the bath today, which is good considering I thought I might be turning into a frog at one point. I prefer lying to sitting and sitting to standing. I've developed a bit of a waddle which is amusing for everyone else. A nurse friend says to keep active but it's hard. Also haven't regained much of an appetite either.

had a firm bowel movement at about teatime and discovered I can't poo without Weeing everywhere, thank god we have Lino in the bathroom. Also found a spot where I can pupush in my lower back which helps me pass the BM,

now for the step backwards, following on from the firm stool I was convinced I had another one coming. Was doing all the right things but nothing coming,. Had a feel mid motion and there was nothing there, probably a remaining hemmy tricking me. Did I push too hard? Not as hard as I used to, but didn't do myself any favours. Cut out then codeine as it is a constipator so just using ibuprofen and paracetamol, even then sparingly. 

I reqlise mine mine seems to be going better than most experiences on the net, so I am thankful for that. How long was it before other patients ventured outside?

Also, must try to eat more, something I'd never thought I'd have to say...

• Posted

Day 3, is this going too smoothly?

Some more BM, but I've noticed I only wee when I have a bowel movement. Plus it is a stronger yellow colour than I would like. I know the reason is probably all the time I've spent in the bath, sweating out my fluids, but as I'll be cutting down on bath time hopefully this will pick up. I am drinking plenty though and breaking wind is now a lot easier. Before I felt like one of those kinked hoses in the cartoon where the pressure builds up until it explodes on the carton villain.

Tomorrows target is to eat a meal with the family at the table. They've been great and I'm just taking small steps to get back to myself at the moment. Then we will see about putting on some trousers and going in the garden for some fresh air.

Not the best Valentine's Day I've ever had, but not the worst.

• Posted

Hello there! Sounds to me you're doing fabulously! Dinae get too impatient! Do what your body lets you . As you said small steps. You sound a lot healthier than me at the mo and I've not had an op! Lol. Keep up the good work. Don't overdo it! E.

• Posted

Day 4 - antibiotics finished.

just a quick update today, lower back is all stiff, possibly because I've been laying down for too long (last 4 days) so did a lot of sitting this afternoon. Completed my daily challenge to have a meal with the rest of the family and watched some murder mysteries with No. 1 son.

BM in mid morning were a struggle as it seemed there was more wanting to come, but I took steps to stop and wait. This is something that I'll have to think of a plan for dealing with.

Appetite has increased slightly too, had some chicken and rice with stewed Apple, followed later in the evening by spinach pizza slices with a valentine chocolate. Also had some actively to put some good bacteria in as the antibiotics must have killed all the rest.

challenge tomorrow is to fend for myself as the family are going on a day out. Not feeling remotely well enough to join them just yet, but no need to ruin their holidays. They'll bring me back a treat hopefully.

now if I can get these BM's sorted I'll feel even better.

• Posted

Hello! Sounds as if you're doing just fine! I think I'd find waiting for a BM with no straining VERY difficult. That's probably why I have problems now.! You've eaten more than me today! Well done. Sometimes it's a good thing to have to fend for yourself. It lets you know just what you ARE capable of. Enjoy some "you" time and the treat I'm sure that will follow! E. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.