Haemorrhoidectomy Recovery - any help??

Posted , 1 user is following.

hi all,

i have been reading messages on this forum and they have been helping me understand my recovery process. i hope to chat to someone out there that is going through this process too.

i had a haemorrhoidectomy last week, i am on day 8 of recovery and boy is it painful. i didnt take the co-codamol as i was worries about the constipation.

i noticed some of you have mentioned you developed a lump outside during recovery.... i too have 2 swollen lumps that have formed but i was told this is normal part of my recovery. i am so scared that these are piles again as the thought of having to endure this pain again i dont think i could do. the surgeon removed 3 haemorrhoids, so i believe i had the traditional haemorrhoidectomy. please someone tell me this is normal healing process?

yesterday i thought i was feeling better as i didnt need to take meds all day, but today i have had several bms and the pain is excruciating. i take my laxatives (laxido and lactulose) as prescribed bit today had diarrhoea which i know is not good after surgery so this is also worrying me. prior to today i was having regular bms about 2-3 times a day, that were soft, but extremely painful. sitz baths have helped a little but i have found that spraying the shower on my backside has such a soothing effect, until i stop that is and get out, then the pain starts to come back. i am eating a high fibre diet and an conscious whatever i buy has to have fibre in it.

any tips on what else i can be doing to ease the pain?

i really hope im one of the lucky ones and see the pain go away/stop soon or at least start to reduce to a more comfortable level.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Update:

I'm not on day 12 and i can say that the constant pain you experience after surgery has mostly gone and its really only after a bm that the pain is there, which lasts for a good 1-2 hours after the bm. i am still on laxatives (was told to take them for 14 days) but have stopped the lactulose (at day 10, as requested). This means i am still having several bms per day, in the morning (roughly 3-4 bms). I am hoping that will decrease when i stop the laxatives.

My swelling is still there, maybe only slightly reduced and i an hoping that it does subside over time and its not a new haemorrhoid.

The good news is that there is light at the end of the tunnel. its been a long 12 days to get to this point and the pain in the beginning does make you question why you had the surgery in the first place, but i know it will be for the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.