Hair Loss after hip replacements

Posted , 12 users are following.

I just would like to know if anyone else has noticed there hair falling out more than normal after surgery. I noticed another fellow hippy ssying how much her hair has fallen out from the trauma of surgery. My hair falls out in clumps every time l wash it. I dont have bald patches its just got really fine. I get my 2nd hip replacement a week on monday. I dread to think what it will be like after that. But it must be my bodys way of coping with the trauma of surgery. This has happened years ago when l was very sick in hospital for monhs.

Has anyone else had this happen???

5 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I did, and still have thinner hair. I put it down to stress, and hope it will grow back.
    • Posted

It must be to do with stress as it has only happened once before when l was really ill. And now l am in the middle of 2 hip replacements. I hope it gets thicker and back to its normal shiny self but right now its lank dull and getting really fine. At 42 l don't want that 😕x
    • Posted

It's not just my hair, I have noticed my nails aren't in very good condition nor my skin. I think our bodies may be using all of their reserves to make us better instead of beautiful.

I went to the hairdresser and had a deep conditioning treatment which has really helped my hair, perhaps you could do the same. A manicure and a pedicure and now feel faintly human again now smile

• Posted

Yes - It also happened to me, and my fingernails also were dreadfull.

I also lost alot of hair, when I decided I had to loose some excess weight, after about 10 kilo's my hair fell out in handfulls.

Asked the Dr about it, and he said yes its normal reaction to severe shock, weightloss, and surgery.

He even suggested I get it cut really short, that suited me as we were coming into spring here in queensland, the back is shorter than my husbands, you should have seen his face, but feels just lovely now during the really hot weather, and GP was right, it bounced right back, after the cut, within about 10 days, you could see all the new hair growing in around my face, miles of it.

I have even been brave and had it cut really short a second time around.

• Posted

Thank you for posting this question Laura -

My hair has gotten thinner and so dry ----Only the hairdresser can blow dry it  nice and smooth - I first blamed (of course)n that my hair (and I) miss the sun (Los Angeles), the heater inside the house, the humidity due to constant rain that makes me look like I stuck fingers in socket ... 

I wish I had the courage to cut it as short as Lyn did .... And yes, also nails are so brittle -

Did I mention that I had 2 THR surgeries ?  It will be allright ... 

Angel blessings

renee

• Posted

Yes my nails are also in a state all broken and cracked. I had gel on them before my 1st hip because l was told l was not allowed and l put it down to that but months later they are still the same. Yeah l new about you Renee. I have not got the bottle to get my hair short l have never had it short in my life. I am willing to ger a very short bob as l am growing my fringe out and its almost tong enogh to gei my hair cut up to meet it. Its a good job l am not out the house a lot as l just feel a proper mess lol

Glad l am not the only one.

Funny thing is l trained hairdresser but gave it up years ago lol

X

• Posted

Yes my nails are also in a state all broken and cracked. I had gel on them before my 1st hip because l was told l was not allowed and l put it down to that but months later they are still the same. Yeah l new about you Renee. I have not got the bottle to get my hair short l have never had it short in my life. I am willing to ger a very short bob as l am growing my fringe out and its almost tong enogh to gei my hair cut up to meet it. Its a good job l am not out the house a lot as l just feel a proper mess lol

Glad l am not the only one.

Funny thing is l trained hairdresser but gave it up years ago lol

X

• Posted

I have been taking gelatine to help my hair and nails, old fashioned but I believe it works. They have been slowly improving.
  • Posted

Yes, I noticed my hair seemed to be falling out more than usual after the op. Tony
  • Posted

I am starting to worry now as l think l could make a wig out of the amount l have lost and l still have another oo to go through next monday. Maybe l will need a wig at the end of it lol
  • Posted

I had my THR 7 months ago. At about 3 months post surgery I started loosing hair only on the top of my head; lots in the shower each time I washed it. Went on for about 2-3 months more but has seemed to stop now, although still thinner on top. Has not grown back to wnat it was previously.

that said, it was suggested that I take biotin, which I am doing, and it MIGHT be making a slight difference.

• Posted

Thanks its comforting to know l am not the only one x
  • Posted

I've noticed hair loss since the op. We have hair strainers in our shower drain to prevent hair clogging the pipes. Since coming home, I lose so much hair when washing it that the strainer is completely covered and the shower stall starts filling up like a swimming pool until I pick the hair up...
    • Posted

Yes mines is exactly the same amd when l wash my hair and put my fingers through it there is loads of it comes out in my hand. I got in for 2nd hip replacement next monday so l cant see it getting any better for a while. Oh well l would rather suffer that than the pain l have had from OA for months xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.