Hair Loss after hip replacements

Posted , 12 users are following.

I just would like to know if anyone else has noticed there hair falling out more than normal after surgery. I noticed another fellow hippy ssying how much her hair has fallen out from the trauma of surgery. My hair falls out in clumps every time l wash it. I dont have bald patches its just got really fine. I get my 2nd hip replacement a week on monday. I dread to think what it will be like after that. But it must be my bodys way of coping with the trauma of surgery. This has happened years ago when l was very sick in hospital for monhs.

Has anyone else had this happen???

5 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there

I'm so glad im not alone, I'm 47 and had a total hip replacement just over 3 weeks ago. My hair is coming out in clumps I'm so worried. I'm not sure if it's a side effects of the blood thinners that I'm taking.i also have very little appetite and feel nausea most days. Sorry to moan just feeling a little down. Hope your doing ok xx

• Posted

Hi Lors

i have not lost any hair but my skin and nails are really in poor condition. I am going through bottles of moisturiser. I cut my hair really short before my second hip op because I knew I would get too hot again. It will be long again before next winter. 

• Posted

Nooooooo! Say it isn't so!

I've lost so much hair during menopause, and what I have is completely white sad

To add insult to injury, I have big ears so citing really sorry it's not a good look, especially as I am already ugly, and not in an interesting way.

And it is too hot here to wear a wig all the time. 😨

• Posted

Well l did that post after my 1st thr and ot was coming oit more than normal l have now had my 2nd thr and its still at it. Dont worry l don't think anyone would notice apart from yourself l still have plenty of hair its just more hairs come out when you wash it olus my nails are in a terrible state and my skins quite dry. But l dod notice it steadily getting better after my 1st thr but now l have had other side done its a bit the same. Not worried about it though as its just more hair falling out you will not go bald....l hope ha ha xx
    • Posted

C'est la vie, when itgets too bad I'll knit a bunny hat and wear that all the time.🐰

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.