Hal Rar surgery recovery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all!

I had the Hal-Rar surgery 4 weeks ago and still feel concerned that something is wrong. This week, I am finally starting to feel better and the pain is mostly gone. But every time have a BM, it feels like I'm pushing the hemmorhoids back out again. I seem to be constantly a bit swollen still and then after a BM the swelling quadruples. It doesn't quite look like it did before the surgery, but it does look like there is something coming back out. There is a lot of skin and swelling that goes down in between movements.

Has anyone else had this after this surgery? Has anyone had success after this surgery? How long until it felt like the hemmorhoids actual shrank and stopped trying to make their way back into the world?

This whole process was so much more intensive than I expected, and I am now endlessly terrified that it failed. I do not want to go through this a second time. Sending love and healing to all others going through this!

Thank you!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

No advice but I'm just under 4 weeks post halo-rar, the first week was one of the most horrifc things I've ever been through pain wise. My consultant said before surgery you'll be home later on and paracetamol should be enough! Ended up on a morphine drip, morphine at home, plus paracetamol and ibuprofen. Going for a BM was awful, felt like I was in labour and something had torn inside. Anyway I was gradually getting better each day but over the last few days have had a lot of pain after standing for 1.5 hours, feels like my piles have come back. I don't know if this is all part of the healing process or if my operation has failed. I don't get any post surgery follow up. I'm scared too that all of that was for nothing.

• Posted

Hi Jem01343 I fully empathize with your recovery! My first two weeks were horrible and then when I thought I was making strides to recovery, I started to have pain again whenever I was standing, or sitting, for more than about an hour. It took me until week 5 to really feel like I could function again and go about my normal day. And I would still have pain or aches in my pelvic floor every so often.

I am just now starting week 6 and I feel like most of the pain from movement is gone, but I still have uncomfortable stinging and some small lumps around the area. I can't tell what are just skin tags and part of the normal recovery, or if it is a hemorrhoid falling back out, or new external hemorrhoids starting. BMs are not longer painful, just stingy, and the feeling of fullness inside the passage is still very much there. But it is getting better each day.

I wish you the best in your recovery! I am going in to see my surgeon next week for a follow up and will update if she tells any useful information to share.

• Posted

I'm glad things are starting to improve for you and that every thing carries on getting better week by week. I'm just over 4 weeks now so hoping things will start to improve more over the next few weeks. I have had some small lumps appearing too, slightly painful but felt like a thrombosed pile over the weekend.

Any further info would be great after your follow up. I wasn't offered any follow up, my local trust apparently called patient initiated follow up, so you have to try to sort your own out if you think you need to be seen. I've contacted my surgeons secretary so waiting to hear back.

• Posted

Unfortunately, I seem to have gotten much worse over the past day. I now have, what I am guessing, are massive external hemmorhoids that are swollen, painful and bleeding. When I had the surgery it was to remove internal hemmorhoids, so I have no idea if this is related or just bad timing. But it is not comfortable and now looks worse than before the surgery.

Has anyone had external hemmorhoids occur after the surgery? Any advice on how treat these? They are horribly uncomfortable!! And they appeared so quickly and out of nowhere 😦

• Edited

Update: I'm at nearly 6 weeks post Hal-Rar. The internal hemorrhoids seem to be healing and theres no more internal pain. There is still a fullness inside and a bit of soreness around my tail bone when I sit more than an hour or so. But otherwise I'm back to normal activities. The swelling around the hemorrhoids seems to be much less and I don't see anything falling back out, which is fantastic.

However, due to having had such large internal hemorrhoids, multiple stage 3s, there were large skin tags after. I had multiple skin tags that looked like recurring prolapses but they were not. Now I have suddenly had a huge flare up from the skin tags, where the vessels in them became incredibly irritated and are now swollen like little balloons, super sore and itchy and painful. My surgeon said they are not new hemorrhoids, just swollen veins from the skin tags and the area. (Which I thought was the definition of an external hemorrhoid, but I am very happy to hear that there is a difference of some sort and it is not a hem.) She has given me new anti-inflamatory medicines and instructions for care and expects it go down within a week to a couple of weeks. She has not been able to check inside to ensure that the surgery is still successful, because of the sore inflamation outside. But she said it looks good so far and will have another follow up in 6 weeks.

Overall, if this new issue goes away, then I will be fully happy that I did the surgery, because at least there hasn't been any bleeding since the surgery, and no sign of old hems falling out.

• Posted

hi

i am now three months post op Hal Rar

in my letter aftrr surgery its not unusal to have skin tags or a protusion appear from your anus

stick with it you will get better

i now have two skin tags that i monitoring and will see where i am six minths post op

i think you can expect to be sore still

i have increased urgency on BM but Surgeon told me this is due to nervs no longer under pressure in anal area and it will calm down

slowly it seems to be.

hang on in there

• Posted

Thank you for the feedback! I am happy to hear that it does eventually get better. I seem to be struggling with it always being 2 steps forward, 1 step back. The skin tags keep getting better and then suddenly they swell like crazy.

Have you been able to exercise at all? I have been avoiding cycling because that seems like an instant irritation. But running, or any kind of exercise, have you found possible?

• Posted

hi T

i havent heen to the gym in years but my job is very physically demanding and i have not noticed any difference in being able to exercise at all. i have noticed that the skin tags seem to be getting smaller ( might just he my imagination ) but i have decided to wait a uesr and then look into maybe having them removed .

i al just glad to be hem free cant believe i ut uo with it for so long !!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.