Halo RAR surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Looking for some reassurance and advice. I'm just under 4 weeks post surgery, having had the halo rar surgery, not sure on the grade but suffered from extremely painful external thrombosed piles after I stood still for any period of time. I have had the banding x 3 previously which worked for approx 9 months each time. The first week post surgery was horrific, had to stay in hospital over night on a morphine drip, was meant to be day surgery. I was in bed for a week, the pain was unbearable, felt nauseous from the metronidazole and the first few bowel movements felt like I was in labour.

Anyway things started to improve after approx 1 week and things had been slowly getting better each day. 3 days ago I ended up having to stand for approx 1.5 hours watching my kids sports day since then I have the feeling of a very painful thrombosed pile, there is not much to feel externally, the pain is coming from inside. Im so worried the operation. has failed. has anyone experienced this and further down the line have things improved?

I don't get any post surgery follow up, and was given no information or any numbers of people to contact post surgery if I had any complications. Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Jem I am so sorry you are suffering. I had the Halo-Rar 11 weeks ago. I know how tough it is. Felt exactly like labour. The procedure worked well for me on reflection because it saved me from having what would have been a totally brutal operation to fix a fully circumferential grade 4 prolapse, caused by childbirth. However, I too noticed i had a single roid coming down at week 4 that then began to prolapse at week 5. I was devastated, so I know your worry. In my case, I had to return to have a second surgery to have it removed at week 7. I am now roids free but I am still very much recovering at 4 weeks post second op (11 weeks in all). I will say, remember that Halo-Rar can take 3 months for the roids to shrink. So you may not be in my position at all. It may be that you just need time. It was obvious in my case that would not happen and so it was dealt with swiftly by my surgeon who has been simply incredible. I would not ignore this development though. Make sure you see a colorectal surgeon to put your mind at rest. Whoever performed your op has a duty of care towards you...no one should leave you on your own. There should ALWAYS be a follow up - usually 6-8 weeks post op. Standing for 1.5hours would not have caused the op to fail. It simply is the case that Halo-Rar has a 70 percent success rate. I hope your surgeon explained that to you before you had the procedure as mine did. It is still a great procedure because it is less barbaric when it works and has definitely saved my bottom from a worst fate than it would have faced without it's invention. It dealt well with 80 percent of my prolapse, but not the last 20 percent. That is odds worth taking! You are not me of course and so I really hope in your case it is simply you need more time. Rest as much as you can and get your feet up. Not easy being a mum I know!! Good Luck!! Do not lose hope. You needed that op, it is just the path back to health from these procedures can be a bumpy ride. It is very stressful and I wish you the very best x

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying. Sounds like you have had quite a journey and thank goodness for you sounds like you've had a brilliant surgeon.

Things have slightly improved over the weekend but but still getting pain and bleeding which had settled down previously. I'm going to try and speak to my surgeon tomorrow and hopefully can get in to see him. I think my local NHS trust have cut a lot of services and don't seem to offer follow up for more routine surgeries. I didn't get a lot of info before the surgery and virtually no info on discharge. I did speak to a lovely colorectal surgeon on day 6 when I couldn't bear it any longer and went back to hospital to be checked out, she explained it would be at least a few months of recovery. I was initially told I'd only need 2 weeks odd work, utterly ridiculous, there's no way I could have gone back at week 2.

I'll be taking your advice and contacting my surgeon asap to hopefully put my mind at ease. Wishing you the best in you recovery too. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.