Halo-RAR upbeat recovery story

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello fellow souls in the HSC (Haemorrhoid Survivors Community)!! 😃

I like you, have suffered with these b****** and I know your plight ❤️

Firstly I wish anyone reading this, well and I am sorry you even find yourself here and part of this community - but here we are none the less.

I promised myself I would share my own account here too when able because reading other stories has been such a support to me during my own journey towards better health. I hope others can find help in my words now. Here's my account so far...

I underwent Halo-RAR almost four weeks ago - a result of two very difficult childbirths which lead to the development of grade 4 circumferential prolapse. Despite trying to manage for several years with less invasive measures, it was time to face the music and aim for a prolapse free life. I required 4 ligations and rectal repair.

PRE OP

I prepared for surgery by moving to a soft diet 2 days pre-op. I am so bloody thankful I did and I recommend everyone take measures to prepare their bowels in advance of this op.

DAY OF SURGERY

I was given an enema pre-op as is normal. I received a general anaesthetic. The surgery lasted about 50 mins and I was two hours in total, including whilst in Recovery. I was given fentynal, morphine and codeine by the nurses. Plus a local block in the area direct by the surgeon. I was in pain on waking but the pain was not where I thought it would be ie. in my backside. Instead I felt the pain in my bladder. It was really uncomfortable and I was desperate to pee. Fortunately, I was able to urinate about an hour later and when I did the floodgates opened. My body went straight to work, peeing out the heavy medications I had been given. I was fortunate enough to have this procedure done on private insurance and my own room with toilet was worth every penny of this £3000 operation alone! I was offered food post op but I stuck to clear fluids, jelly and soup. I arrived at the hospital at 7am and was home same day around 4pm. Pain was significant but I fast realised the opioids really didn't touch it. They only made me drowsy.

DAY 1-3 post op

Pain most severe. However, it was doable! I only took Ibruprofen and Paracetamol, nothing stronger. Mostly because I was petrified of developing constipation. I was also given Metronidazole antibiotics which I have since discovered act as pain relief too. Fortunately, I tolerated these well as my surgeon told me they may make me nauseous, but they didn't. Heat packs, sitz bath in the tub and bolster pillows for support in bed, became my best friends and really did help ease the pain. The pressure in my back passage felt horrible and it really did feel like someone punched me with a boxing glove up my bum, but I also soon realised that the pain was going to be managable all the whilst I relaxed. Passing gas was really painful. I used breathing and meditation to get me through. I cried at times and let it happen! BUT I got through well really, on reflection. You can too! It is not the horror story you may tell yourself it might be and you are stronger than you know. I ate only soup, mashed veg and potato, plus jelly those first days and kept meals small. I drank 2.5l of water and still do every day.

DAY 4

On day one, I was sent home from the hospital with Cosmocol stool softener which I took morning and evening every day before my first bowel movement arrived, which took four days of waiting to happen. Not gonna lie, the build up beforehand on day four felt like labour, due to the pressure I felt in my bottom. It took an hour of breathing and rocking back and forth before I felt ready to actually sit on the toilet. I waited until I was absolutely sure I needed to go. I was determined I was not going to strain and I didn't. You will know when it is time! The body is amazing. The stool softeners and liquid mush diet worked a dream and the pain of passing a stool wasn't too bad actually (at least not has bad as my mind feared it would be). I definitely let the neighbours know I was home - ha ha! It was more the body shock I felt afterwards. I had to lie down with heat packs to recover for a good two hours and the burning was intense - but the relief that I had now done the first do and was over that hump in the road, was actually worth it! I'd done it and survived! You will too. I will say, you do not want a hard stool, or even a normal one - you want to aim for a Mr Whippy ice cream consistency. Just take the laxatives and sort your diet, you'll be so glad you did. It really did make the experience I was dreading the most, into one of "oh was that it? - phew!"

DAY 5-10

I introduced fibre to my diet. Started taking a Fybogel in the morning too because I could ensure to drink 2 litres the whole day following it. I also take a stool softener at night so whilst asleep when I am not drinking water, it is working to keep everything soft. It has worked for me. Started eating wholemeal bread and lots of fruit and veg. I moved to a soft diet of chicken, fish, veg, potato, soup, banana etc, Pain was still a constant and especially during bowel movements, but again manageable. Small amount of blood and drainage. I found I was ok using the toilet as long as I held onto the towel rail for support - that rail has been my saviour - hee hee. You do what you gotta do and I had to hang on to something to deal with the discomfort. Again though, its doable folks. The first week was definitely not a walk in the park on a sunny day, but it was not as horrendous as I had imagined either. You can do it for the hope of a better future. Heat packs kept me comfortable on the sofa in the day and I rested totally. Didn't lift a thing. No straining on the toilet either and I never sat there for a moment longer than I needed. I also kept my pain relief up round the clock, day and night, alternating between ibruprofen and paracetamol.

DAY 11 -14

Pain less significant in the day. Gas hurts more than using the toilet. Bowel movements still uncomfortable but doable! No time to wait when needing the toilet, the urgency was real. Life getting easier daily. Could feel where piles are stitched up inside me and that was really off putting and worrying at times when using the toilet. I sat every time on a wing and a prayer. Still do. Post op anxiety is real and I think unavoidable. I just allowed it to be and then talked myself out of it. I took lots of showers using the shower head to keep clean, sitz baths in the tub and used heat packs all day which do an amazing job of relaxing muscle spasm. I did nothing but rest rest rest! No sitting at all or standing for long. I had to lie on my side. Laying on my back hurt. But all went well on reflection. It was liberating not to have a prolapse there and I started to see why I went through suffering in order to benefit.

DAY 14-20

Swelling lessened and no pain unless I had a bowel movement. The pain was more of an ache and pressure. Developed a throbbing sensation in stitched haemorrhoids which felt weird and unpleasant like a flare up of piles pain. Took that to mean the op was working! Fingers crossed. There is stress knowing the haemorrhoids are still there, just reduced and stitched up, but I suppose even with a haemorrhoidectomy you still gotta live with the idea you can still have piles. We all do afterall. Severest pain completely went after two weeks which was a relief beyond words. Still couldn't sit yet.

Day 21 to 27

No more pain on using the toilet! No prolapse! I still can't sit for too long in a chair. Trying for 5 mins at a time. Still feeling swelling and dull aches. Still taking ibruprofen as it's an anti inflammatory and I am still inflamed. Can feel the haemorrhoids are still there but shrinking. The throbbing still happens some days. My back is tense and I have a small bump externally now and itching which I am hoping is nothing more than the healing process. I will check with my surgeon. Otherwise, I am comfortable in the main although definitely not fully healed. Its so slow going and I am going to need 6 weeks easily before returning to work, but bowel movements are good, so now its about time and patience. I feel weak physically, but I am gaining stamina every day.

So, lovely people, I am surviving! You will too! It is not easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is. Take 3-4 weeks at least off work, depending on what you do. None of this back to work in 48 hours nonsense you see being sold online about Halo-RAR and THD. This is still a major op. You've had the whole of your rectum stitched for goodness sake. My colorectal surgeon told me to do nothing for 3 weeks and scheduled a follow up with me at 6 weeks. That gives you an indication of how long this usually takes. Expect recovery to take its own sweet time and up to 3 months. There will be good days and bad, but progress will be made every day. Have someone look after you the first two to three weeks - you will need it. You must rest and don't lift anything heavy! Get your diet right and you can steer yourself through. Also get 99 percent water biodegradable wet wipes. You will need them. I will write an update once I see my colorectal surgeon for follow up. So far, I can see the benefits of this op. Just praying it stays that way! I do not regret taking charge of my health and my life either way. Thanks for reading and good luck x

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lou. I really appreciated reading your post. I've developed a grade 3 and grade 2 haemorrhoid during pregnancy. It's been 3 years and no improvement. I recently had banding with little improvement so am likely looking at the HAL RAR that was mentioned by my surgeon as the next option. It's great to hear your story and hope you keep recovering well!

• Posted

Hiya! Who knew childbirth could result in even more suffering down the line? I do sympathise and I am sorry you are suffering. It's good you are looking to treat your piles before they reach grade 4 like mine had. Wish I had the procedure sooner. Wishing you the very best and so glad my post has helped.

• Posted

Yes it's terrible. Thanks so much. I'm so sick of my pain and discomfort getting in the way of being active with my kids. Hope your road to recovery is as easy as possible!

• Posted

I totally know the feeling. It is terrible. Days out were a nightmare. I couldn't walk round theme parks all day, or dance and run with my kids. Holidays and travel are a pain. Shopping a nightmare, everything in the end. NHS wasn't in any hurry to help me out because they are so strapped for cash and resources right now. In the end I went private. It hasn't been easy but if I get my health back it will have been worth it. Thank you for your kind well wishes. I wish you the very best too. You got this!

• Edited

So update...went back to my surgeon for a check up. He tells me I am healing really well given the size of the initial prolapse and the extent of the work I had done. Apparently I have achieved great results. However, I do have a small bump formed now from the healing process and a skin tag. If neither shrink enough in the coming weeks and continue to cause bother (they are irritated by bm's), it could be corrective surgery ahead. I am told it is a simple procedure but the thought terrifies me. It may be simple, but pain free it will not be. It just too much to even consider right now, given what I have been through the last few weeks. I will update further, when I know more. Main thing is the prolapse remains gone! I am trying to remind myself that people suffer a lot worse.

• Edited

Really sorry to hear Lou! I hope it does shrink on it's own and you don't need surgery.

• Posted

Week 5 of recovery. All had been going so well and now a definite setback. Or is it? Maybe it was always going to have to be this way for me. After experiencing backache, throbbing and swelling again, I saw my wonderful surgeon yesterday for advice. He tells me the Halo-RAR procedure has actually been a huge success in my particular case because had he carried out a full haemorrhoidectomy on the grade 4 fully circumferential prolapse I first presented with, I would be in a lot worse condition now and likely left with incontinence issues and permanent damage to my anus. The Halo-RAR has actually been hugely successful in getting rid of my prolapse and I have healed well, but unfortunately for me I still have one roid left that has conveniently remained right in the way of bowel movements and is now aggravated. I also have a large skin tag from where all the other roids have now completely gone! Hurrah!!

Yet, I have cried buckets still because I brace myself again at week 6/7 of recovery to go into hospital for corrective surgery. This one pile will be surgically removed and the skin tag dealt with. My surgeon tells me the work wont be anywhere near as extensive as what I have already been through already. It will be a 10 min op under GA. I know though, no operation to remove a pile comes pain free. I know I had no choice but to face the music and be brave to get my health sorted, but it seems I gotta be more brave than I first imagined. I am told that I will be back to better health than I have known in years once this 2nd operation has healed...but right now I am fearful of what lies ahead over the next 5 weeks. For anyone reading this...DO NOT PUT OFF GETTING YOUR HAEMORRHOIDS TREATED. You kick the ball up the road and then recovery becomes more complicated. Bite the bullet and face the music. Hopefully, you wont have to suffer twice like me. If I don't get this fixed now, I have learned from experience, piles above grade 1/2 never go away on their own! Get them done, whilst they are small. If you do have a severe case however, like I had, definitely get them seen to. The next stage for me was likely rectal prolapse as the haemorrhoids would have dragged my rectum down with them. It doesn't bear thinking about. You can be helped. I am so much better than I was, despite this setback. You can be too! I will update again when I am the other side of surgery and on the path to complete healing. Fingers crossed!

• Edited

Further update. 7 weeks after Halo-RAR I underwent further surgery and Examination Under Anaesthetic. 80 percent of the Halo procedure had been successful but 20 percent was not and my surgeon performed a single haemorroidectomy excision. Despite it being a standard straight forward procedure, recovery from this second op has been really really tough and definitely taking longer than the Halo which was painful and bad enough, taking me 6 weeks to feel normal. The first two weeks after this second op were really very painful as to be expected, with burning and stinging and intense pain after BMs but i managed on only paracetamol and ibruprofen like last time and sitz baths because BMs were soft. I had bleeding for two weeks. BM stopped being awful at 10 days post op but pain has not stopped there! I developed a BIG lump externally at the anus which was horrible!! Been back and forwards from the hospital for it. Fortunately, it was only swelling and has taken 4 weeks and counting to shrink but it is shrinking using a frozen surgical glove filled with water, as an ice pack. Trouble is I am developing skin tags because of it as area tries to heal and now they are sore. I am week 4 post op. I still have discharge every day and one slightly firm BM makes me so swollen and bruised my whole day is ruined. I am still on stool softeners and I am guessing always will be. Surgeon says Laxido is safe and Fybogel. On top of this, I now have pelvic floor spasms to contend with. Everything feels tight, and at times is excruciatingly painful - as bad or worse as initial two weeks of bm's. However, despite all this...my surgeon says things are actually healing very well and surgery was completely successful. I am now roids free! I have had more antibiotics to ward off infection but really its the inflammation both internally and externally that is driving me insane. Still on painkillers and just praying for a light at the tunnel after 11 weeks now of intense suffering and pain following two back to back operations to remove grade 4 fully circumferential prolapsed haemorrhoids. Its been a truly nasty business and i pray in a few weeks I write to say it was all worth it. Right now, I am exhausted, I still cant sit up at the moment for long and the constant pulling sensations in the rectal muscles, the nerve pain its causing, and the bruised feeling after a BM are just making life a misery. I haven't left the house for the whole 4 weeks bar to visit my surgeon every week as its been a bumpy ride! This really is a very long and slow recovery and if you do this surgery, be prepared for the long haul. I wasn't. I thought 6 weeks and life would be golden. More realistic to think six months! Plus the stress and fear have affected my mental health now too. My upbeat story is not so upbeat just now, but i will post again once i have seen my surgeon again in another 6 weeks. He tells me I just need to give this time but I WILL HEAL. I am banking on it! If anyone sees this who has suffered for months and now come out the other side...please leave some words of encouragement. Thank you x

• Posted

thank you fir your story, I'm 3 weeks post op and really struggling with the pain.

looking forward to your next update. I hope it is a positive one for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.