Hand foot and mouth disease

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I am 100% sure I have HFM. My 6 year old son came home last week with a headache, fever and sore throat. I took him in for a strep test and all was negative. He was feeling better after two days, he never got any blosters or rashes. This past Monday morning my youngest son came down with the same thing. High fever, red sore throat, no appetite, etc. I went to work that day and around 1pm noticed my throat was starting to feel sore. By 5pm that night I had a fever, shaking chills and a super sore throat. Slept about 10 hours and woke up feeling a little better, fever gone but sweating profusely. Throat still a little sore. Took some meds and went to work. Felt pretty good most of the day. Wednesday I didn’t feel too great and noticed my thumb felt like it had a small burn on it, but I couldn’t see anything. Chalked it up to fireworks from the night before. The day progresses and I noticed a blister on my youngest sons toe, nothing else. Think maybe his shoe or something caused it. Went to bed early and got up for work yesterday. Felt ok but as the day progressed I started getting red spots on my hands and my feet started to hurt. I left early and by the tim I got home it was full blown. I am a nurse and take care of immunosuppressed people. Yesterday I wore gloves all day long and bleached anything I came into contact with. I called in for today and have a dr appt this afternoon. I have no idea how long I’ll be out of work. The spots seem to be under my skin more than raised. I’ve just noticed I now have a rash on my legs and thighs and my biceps and some on my stomach. My feet kill me. I have 3 spots on the Righg side of my throat that get irritated when I eat but not nearly as bad as it was. I’m in panic mode over here I can’t miss any more work I don’t have enough pto. I’m grossed out and embarassed to even go out in public or back to work. I feel terrible that I exposed who knows how many people to this crap and I had absolutely no idea what it was. HELP!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Yes it sounds a lot like hand foot and mouth disease. I got it recently. The spots will last a few days (5 or so for me). The blisters are the worst. I got them on all of my fingers and fingertips. They are just now drying up and peeling off. It’s really gross looking. I look like I’ve burned my hands. Aloe Vera gel helped me lots. Hope you feel better soon! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.