harrishill 1

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi margo. thanks for your reply. It is good to know that 5 ml twice a dy works well. I wouldn't want to take too much especially when I first get on it. Now, I just have to talk to ,my hematologist this week, and hope he agrees with me. harrishill

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI

I started at 10mg twice a day,but could not tolerate. The cost of Jakafi is impossible to afford but your Dr. can get you a grant. Lots of paper work ,but worth your life!!!

• Posted

Hi margo. if you had to get a grant to go on Jakafi, where do you live? I live in the US, and Medicre pays for my meds and I have a co-pay which so far, isn;t very much.I pay only about five dollars for my Hydroxy per prescription.harrishill

• Posted

I asked my consultant if there was another medication I could go on ... she said you don’t want to go on anything else ( indicating it’s not good)  hydrox is the one for you ! So there you are, I’m in the Uk so all free thankfully .best of luck I’m on 16 a week and am fine and can do anything I want lucky me !!!
    • Posted

Hi po326ap. I live in the US. I've been on Hydroxyurea as you 16 per week for the last 3 years. My platelets are now under control 340. No side effects. Except for the loss of food taste in the last 2 years. My doctors tell me it's not from the med. I'm not so sure. I asked my hemothalogist if I could try Anagrelide. He does not recommend it ,but reluctantly gave me a prescription to try for a few months. But wants me to get a blood test every 2 weeks. I've not started to taking the new med. Anagrelide and don't  know if I will. He caution me about the possibility of heart failure. Other than the cost prohibited of Jackafi In the US ,Hydroxyurea is the only Drug. It's been hell in the last 2 years. All kind of tests and no one knows what's causing  the loss of taste. My age I guess .82 but  feeling physically fine.

Justin

• Posted

Hi Margo when were you diagnosed with prv? Have you had venesections and we're you put on jakavi straight away after diagnosis ? Do you have any side effects ? I've taken hydroxy for 15 years and am experiencing the leaden legs and cramps described by Harris Hill 1. However living in southern Ireland I pay for all Meds. Hydroxy costs 12 euro a month . Jakafi costs hundreds .

Thank you.

Alma

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.