harrishill1

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply. Your own experience has helped me to understand my condition. I hate to stop taking Hydroxyurea and go on another drug, but if it is definitely causing this, then I will never be able to go on long walks like I used to, and I have also stopped going to curves. Not exercising is not good for me. Maybe I shd discuss this with my hematologist when I see him next week. I would also like to comment on Alma's post. It too was very enlightening. To see that she has been diagnosed for 42 yrs and even had children. She didn't say if she is on a drug or not?  Anyway, very helpful to the rest of us. Have a great day. harrishill

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Harris Hill,

Many thanks for your response.  I think perhaps you might do well with Ruxolitinib (Jakavi).  It has straightened out my blood counts admirably.   All are back to normal despite the worst that hydroxy could do.  Yes, it is amazing just how many long-term sufferers are around.  They must have had a very hard time in their early years following diagnosis, as PV was virtually unknown then.  It is a better proposition now for sure.  Jakavi is a far better drug to take and does a great deal for your general health and activity.   I know it is expensive but it can be approved if the Haematologist supports you.  My best wishes.

Peter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.