Has anyone had natural treatment from a Naturopath for underactive thyroid?

Posted , 7 users are following.

just wondering if anyone has had natural treatment for underactive thyroid?

i went to a naturopath yesterday and she treating lots of us naturally and some are totally off the levythroxine. i'm starting the detox next week and will post my progress on here. i'm 28 and do not want to be bound to medication for the rest of my life .... even tho it does make me feel better, i am confident with my metabolism working again naturally i should be even better!

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hello!

Yes, I'm like you - I don't want to be on traditional medication. I'm a 47-year-old woman and my initial diagnosis was overactive thyroid. I am very much into natural health and wellness, so going on medication was not what I really wanted to do. I was on it for a couple of months, and then my blood test showed my results were in the "normal" range. But I still felt terrible. After lots of my own self-education, I realized that my thyroid issue was secondary. Adrenal fatigue was the primary cause of my symptoms. 

I also realized that the doctor was trying to literally "burn out" my thyroid (since it was overactive) and make me HYPOthyroid, and then keep me on medication the rest of my life! I wasn't going to do that!

Without knowing much about your specific challenges, all i can say in general is to do lots of your own research and make sure to find out what the primary cause of your thyroid issue is...whether it truly is your thyroid or if (which is common) your adrenals are the primary issue.

Find a naturopath who has knowledge of hormonal issues, especially thyroid and adrenal. I'm sure you will heal if you follow a plan and stick to it. Remember that nutrition and other lifestyle changes may be very important in your healing, too.

Best of luck!

Veronica

• Posted

Sadly whether you like it or not you will probably be on Thyroid medication all your life.I take Natural Dessicated Thyroid which has helped me but my GP will not prescribe it for me because he would be in trouble with the GMCouncil if he did. He will however do all my blood tests every 6 months & I buy the NDT myself,its worth it to feel better. 
    • Posted

i'm also taking iodine and a probiotic and 2 other things. i will let you know how i get on but i'm hoping to be off thyroxine in a couple of years for good smile
    • Posted

Hi brewster121044

Where can you buy Natural Dessicated Thyroid without a prescription?

Thanks

• Posted

"Adaptogenic" herbs have proven to regulate hormones, and they work. Ashwagandha and Rhodiola are two good ones. Whether you are over- or under- active, or even have adrenal issues, they will help get your hormones back to a normal level. The time it takes will depend on how "bad" your condition is. Do some research. If you really want to "go natural" you will need to do a lot of "self-education."
  • Edited

so excited for you....am going to join you!

i spent time trying different things before accepting thyroxin ,,,but now keep it as back up whilst trying to get iodine, iron, zinc, and selenium levels up to speed.

Have gone gluten free which helped enormously and am determined to take control of my health

Love and best wishes marey x

• Posted

i have had my second day ..... the power isn't too nice tasting and neither are the drops! but ..... hey it's only for 3 weeks - it's a detox.

after that you take just some tablets so it's all good!

• Edited

well done cass...thats great! do you know whats in it? also cass mega big question does your therapist recommend iodine...this is a big debate.

i'm in swansea....where are you? am looking for a practioner if yours can recommend someone?

• Posted

yes it's 10 drops a day. if you go to a health shop for a thyroid problem one thing they always say is take kelp tablets, you thyroid needs the iodine out of them.

i'm in Westport, new zealand. Just google natropaths near you and i'm sure one will come up.

by the way i said the drops arn't nice, i've diltued them in a lot more juice and you don't even hardly know they are in there!all good!

• Posted

thanks cass

so thats a yes...apparently according to the 'thyroid summitt' its contentious

• Posted

hello, i dont know of this thread is still active but i want to know about iodine too & my doctors wont tell le either way or wont give me any of my blood levels they just say they need to increase my levothyroxine. im also in Swansea South Wales. my dietician is sure my thyroid issues are causing so many stomach & bowel issues but my GP's sayno possi le

im so fed up of it all

• Posted

doesn't make much sense to avoid iodine but  some therapists claim it can cause a storm....is it 10 drops of lugols?
    • Posted

yes it is Lugios? what do they mean by cause a storm? what would happen?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.