Has anyone had sensory nerve damage in nose?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I inhaled toxic smoke and lost some smell and sensory nerve endings for moisture. Has anyone had this? Similar in a way to ENS as hard to feel breath in nose. Without sensing moisture nose feels unbearably dry. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts who have experienced this or similar. Has been about 4 months for me.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you should ask atleast once from doctor.
    • Posted

I have been to three doctors. One says breathe through my mouth, one won't talk about it at all, one say nerves may come back but unlikely.

• Posted

Hey m1988. I have same problem after a long cold 3 months ago. I have used steroids spray. But its only made it worst. I have a question to you. Do you feel the air flow if you put some water in the nostrils. For me its help for 2 minutes. Sorry for the bad english. Maybe we can used the knowledge of ens patients that have also air flow sensors damage. I think there is some kind of tissue transplant. Keep in touch. And i hope you get better .
    • Posted

Hi allen460. Yes I joined the ENS Facebook page. There is no ability for transplant at this time. In the US there is a doctor than does PRP injections. PRP is said to be helpful with nerve regeneration. You probably have read that nasal nerve endings are capable of regeneration but it is hit and miss. These injections are experimental and not supported by clinical trials or peer reviews. Anecdotally some folks I connected with had improvements and others did not. The nerve receptor cells that I lost sensed moisture and temperature. Sounds like you are similar. I have visited several ENTs and MDs and have to say that they understand very little of these nerves. I would encourage you to join the Facebook group. It is a mix of folks with problems like ours and (the majority) have had Turninate reductions which is really what ENS is about. Very glad to hear from you. It is a devastating problem to have because one is always struggling for breath even though air is passing. For me this causes severe headaches as well. It has now been seven months for me. One thing that somehow helps me is Breathe Right strips which allow me to sleep at night. Also I am assuming you don't smoke - if you do quit right away. Best of luck and let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

Yes i also noticed that ENTs have no clue about our problem. They are looking at you like an alien. I've found it funny as much as i can smile in that bizarre situation that we are. It is actually more neurological case and they don't understand much about it. I will join the Facebook group. Thak you !!

• Posted

ENTs are surgeons and in business to make money from surgery. You might get lucky and find one that is interested in a challenge or helping people but I tried to find one and failed. I think also it is a case where they truly have no understanding. After all the air can move right? I saw a neurologist and got some useful pain meds but the best he could do was to say really either they will regenerate or they won't but how you are after a year is most likely how you will stay. Read about PRP - some intriguing advances there. This is a devastating condition and my heart goes out to you.

• Posted

Hi m1988, do you suffer from thick mucus build up due to your problem?
    • Posted

I have thick mucus yes. In general I have less mucus than before.
  • Posted

My heart goes out to you all too. I have problems with my sense of smell thanks to four months I lived with a guy who smoked in our apartment. I couldn't understand what it was at first. All I know is that it affected how my nose regulates smells coming from within my mouth. Even with my mouth closed what would normally be filtered by the nose just comes out and people around me can smell it. An ENT removed my tonsils because I had tonsilliths which were contributing to it in an expensive surgery only to find it did not completely solve the problem. I have had to adjust my life to keep away from places I have too stay too long among people. If there are real solutions to this nerve problems I would gladly sign up for them.

• Posted

Hello, I have been suffering after 2 septoplasty and turbinectomies and inhaled bleach cleaning my bathroom which was the icing on the cake.  I have gone to Dr. Das in Ohio and received PRP treatment last year. However, I only had 20-25% improvement.  Dr das diagnosed me with Nasal Nerve Damage. Sleeping with a humidifier does help (very) little but I’m miserable. Have you had any improvement?
    • Posted

Hi there. I have had no improvement. Quitting smoking helped other issues but not this.  That's great you had 20-25 percent improvement from Dr Das. Tried every topical treatment and humidifying system I can find but no luck. You sure have my sympathy. It is dreadful. There is a clinic in Germany that seems to be having some limited success. 

• Posted

Hi I lost my sense of smell in 2012 and didn’t know why actually was very reduced...maybe about 20 percent went to lots of ents and the only one that did help a little was dr in New York he determined my loss of smell but a  then over the years it got better to about 90 percent I think a lot of recovery had to do with Alpha lipolic acid 600 mg a day for over a year ... It came back gradually ... I was so happy then .... like you 3 weeks ago I went to clean the bathroom with a beach cleaner and now I wiped out 4 years of progress and my senses are at 15 percent at best ... I’m so upset and devistated I was smellling food perfume  body odor and the environment and now I barely smell anything over some stupid bleach !!! Can you tell me Dr Das  number and do you recommend him ??
    • Posted

Hi. I'm sorry to hear of your latest setback.  My greater problem is loss of the trigeminal nerve receptors so I can't sense air. I don't want to give contact info here but if you Google ENTs in Columbus you can find it., Not sure how much success he has had with smell.,There is a really good WW FB group "living with anosmia" that I would recommend.  So sorry again for your setback . I used to totally take my nose, breathing and smell for granted.  It's very depressing.

• Posted

Hi if you don't mind me asking what type of toxic smoke was it?? Have you done any prp shots?? I got in touch with Dr Das 's secretary and said that it works most people just need one shot in each nose.....the price is $2000 for shot in each nostril.... Just want to know if anyone else used Dr Das for prp shots?? Was reading his website and does a lot of prp ens work...Also the secretary said that if the nerve in the brain was affected if might not work but if its the nerves in the nose and nose lining it should work and most people need only one shot per nostril ....I live in New York so I want to do it just want to make sure the expense is worthed ...hotel ,traveling expense..medical risks..etc So if you know anyone who has done this and it worked or didn't please let me know thanks so much it horrible with no smell and everything taste bad.......

• Posted

Hello Charlie, I went to Dr Das  1 1/2 years and had the PRP with Matristem shot. I did notice 20-25% improvement but I still have suffocation. I have also gone to see a hypnotist in Massachussets who goes by “The mad Russian “ who really helped my anxiety and panic attacks. Even Dr. Das agreed that seeing a hypnotist is a fantastic idea .  I was just reading someone else’s comment about a nerve in the brain being damaged and now I’m scared. I would strongly suggest seeing Dr Das. I wouldn’t be able to live with the “what if”. I just hope I don’t have any nerve damage to my brain now. Ughhhh
    • Posted

Hi there,

I also had an issue with a cleaner  16 yrs ago. I learned to live with some discomfort but was mostly okay and I tasted. SYmptoms flared up and I have pain, no smell and no taste - sucks.

• Posted

hi, i lost the air sensation . Is the air sensation cam come back ? thank you

• Posted

hi , i have the same problem i can not sense the air. I do not know the reason. I now the post is old but is your sense of air back ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.