Has anyone had sensory nerve damage in nose?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I inhaled toxic smoke and lost some smell and sensory nerve endings for moisture. Has anyone had this? Similar in a way to ENS as hard to feel breath in nose. Without sensing moisture nose feels unbearably dry. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts who have experienced this or similar. Has been about 4 months for me.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Charlie: consider reading up on the nervecstructure in the nose. It’s great to be informed about anatomy so one can have useful discussions with physicians. 

However the olfactory pathway in short starts with millions of receptors in your nose. The “smell” is passed through the pathway to the olfactory bulb located high up in your nose. That ganglia is directly connected to your brain. This is why sometimes people with traumatic brain injuries lose smell. Many things including viruses can damage the receptors and bulb. Unique to the nose thosecreceptirs can regenerate. Other things like polyps impact smell. PRP injections are helpful in theory to regenerate tissue quickly eg an ankle or knee. Use in the nose in my opinion is an expensive lottery ticket. It may or may not help. There is no known medical treatment for loss of smell. On FB there is a smell training group that may offer some helpful therapy. 

• Posted

Marek how about reseptors who are responsible to feel the air in the nose? I smell everything pretty good but i have breathing problem, paradoxical nasal obstruction and low sense of airflow, do you think its possible to regenerate these receptors somehow?
    • Posted

It is written that the receptors can regenerate in the nose. Didn’t happen for me.
  • Posted

Two months ago I put essential oil inside my nose.after that my nose become bone dry.Now for last 20 days I can not feel any breathing inside my nose.What can I do?Will the nerve ending grow back?
    • Posted

hi, i have the same problem and i am looking for answer. The post is old but i really hope to find an answer. Has your sense of air come back ?

• Posted

Has anyone had an improvement of their symptoms? I'm struggling with a lack of air flow sensation at the moment and it's causing me to breathe manually. It's also causing dizziness, heart palpitations, sleep and anxiety issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.