Has Anyone used Homeopathy?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, i have suffered with TN for over 2 years now. I have been taking eslicarbazepine acetate, however my neurologist would like me to stop taking this. Therefore we have tried 3 attempts of Nerve Block injections which seem to only work for upto 2 weeks. He has mentioned an alternative medication but due to the side affects i am reluctant to take them, plus i really dont like taking medication.

Has anyone used Homeopathy and found this to be successful? or any other alternative medicine approach.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Janet

I haven't personally used Homeopathy remedies although I've often thought about it. Then I realised that the cost would probably be high.

Which alternative medication did your Dr suggest? I tend to read all the side effects that you could get on the leaflet. When I first took my first medication for my TN, over twenty years ago, I had nausea, dizziness and drowsiness. But once the medication set in all that disappeared except for the drowsiness I had when it was late evening and I often went to bed at 9pm. But other side effects didn't affect me personally.

You may find you'll probably get one or two side effects at first then you'll be ok after a couple of weeks. It's worth a try to see how you get on. You might even be lucky and get none of them. Worst case scenario is you can always come off the tablets. 

You could try the medication whilst your searching for an alternative medication. It's better than being in pain.

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Thank you Gloriana for your reply. I cannot remember the name of the medication as he stated it can cause bleeding of the small intestine, so from that point didnt remember the name of the medication. We both hoped that the nerve block treatment would last at least a month or two which then i could decide whether i wanted to go through the pain of these injections every couple of months, but unfortunately it has only lasted 2 weeks. I am currently on half my dosage of my medication also, so if it wasnt for that i think i would be alot worse.

You are right not everyone gets the side affects and maybe i should give it a try, i just feel it is more of a risky side affect, but the doctors do have to inform you of them.

I am due to see the doctor again in the new year to discuss again, so i need to make a decision.

Thanks Janet

• Posted

Hi,

I see what you mean. I don't think I would take them after being told that either. It is a risk. It's up to you, but I would be inclined to find out more first. Such as if you do get the bleeding will it heal after stopping the medication etc. I know there is a chance you won't get it, but what is the likelihood. 

The injections sound painful too. I never went for any alternatives, just the medication. I hope you're increase has shown some results for you.

Also I hope your feeling a bit better too.

Gloriana

• Posted

Hi Janet, I havn't tried homeopathic remedies, but I did try acupuncture.  Unfortunately it didn't help me but my acupuncturist was very surprised that it didn't help, and from lots of research I understand that its very helpful for some people.  Might be worth giving it a try....
  • Posted

I am not a Homeopath Professional but have used them for years and taught on the subject many times.  The following might help you should you decide to use them:

Any Homeopathic Remedy someone uses must be taylored to their specific need and overall physical and mental/emotional makeup.  What works for one person might not help someone else.

This is the text I provide those that are interested in Homeopathic Remedies.

Remember that the use of herbs and other natural helps is not the same as using Homeopathy. 

Title: Using Homeopathic Remedies – Taking and Caring For Your Remedies

My concern has been for those who purchased a homeopathic remedy or homeopathic remedy kit and not found success with the remedies; usually because they were without clear instructions on how to take and store those remedies.

[My intent is to relay what my research or personal use has shown me.  I am not a medical professional and am not intending to prescribe anything for anyone or as a remedy for any malady.  If you are ill I would suggest you consult a professional.]

When we take ‘normal’ allopathic medications that have been prescribed by our physician the medications usually come with specific instructions like the frequency to be taken, time of day to be taken, taken with or without food, not combining them with things like grapefruit, milk products or alcohol, temperature range to store them, etc.

Homeopathic Remedies are similar and therefore have similar instructions.  If the guidelines for taking and storing your homeopathic remedies are not followed there is a chance that they will no longer be effective.

The first and biggest hurtle we need to cross is finding the correct remedy for our need.  For instance, the remedies for headaches or the common cold are many.  One remedy might be for a slightly runny nose with a sore throat; another for a stuffy nose with tiredness, another for a very runny nose with coughing; the list goes on.  If we take a remedy for a slightly runny nose and sore throat when our symptoms are a very runny nose with coughing, the chances are good that our selected remedy will not work.

Okay, back to my subject:  There are several very important guidelines for storing and taking homeopathic remedies.

+++++ IF A REMEDY WORKS FOR YOU, YOU ARE JUST WASTING THE REMEDY IF YOU TAKE A GREATER QUANTITY OF IT.  THESE REMEDIES ARE NOT MEASURED BY QUANITY LIKE SOMETHING SIMILAR TO AN ASPRIN WHERE TWO MIGHT BE MORE EFFECTIVE THAN ONE.  IF A REMEDY IS WORKING FOR YOU, DON'T TAKE MORE UNTIL YOU NEED IT.  TAKING A REMEDY WHEN YOU DON'T NEED IT CAN ACTUALLY WORK AGAINST YOU.  IF THE REMEDY SAYS TO TAKE ONE TO FOUR TABLETS/DROPS, DON'T TAKE MORE IN HOPES OF HAVING GREATER SUCCESS WITH THE REMEDY; REMEDIES ARE NOT MADE MORE EFFECTUAL BY TAKING A GREATER QUANTITY OF IT. +++++

*  Keep them in a tightly closed container away from sunlight and strong or close electrical fields (TVs, radios, electric blankets, cell phones, cell phone chargers, computers, table lamps, etc.).

*  Additionally the homeopathic remedies need to be stored in a tightly closed container far away from anything strong smelling, even if the strong smelling item is within a closed container.  Things like perfumes, camphor creams, room deodorants, etc.  Exposure to these things will inactivate the homeopathic remedy.

*  Two things seem to instantly neutralize homeopathic remedies once we take them.  The first is anything with mint in it like mint tea, breath mints, mint flavored foods, and most importantly toothpaste flavored with mint. 

The second is coffee.  Some homeopaths debate coffee being a problem, but it seems the majority of them say to stay completely away from coffee if at all possible while taking homeopathic remedies.  If you must have your coffee try not drinking any within an hour before or after taking your homeopathic remedy.  (In my opinion, by drinking coffee when using homeopathic remedies you are taking a good chance your remedies will be ineffective.)

*  The remedies need to be taken when the mouth is free from any taste of food.  Therefore the reference sources say to take your remedies at least a half hour before or after a meal.

*  If you are taking an homeopathic remedy in the form of an oral pill try to completely dissolve the pills under your tongue before swallowing.  If the remedy is a liquid intended to be taken orally the guideline is the same, keep it under the tongue for a minute or so before swallowing.  If the pill does not automatically disolve under your tongue then keep it there for several minutes before slowly crushing it with your teeth before swallowing.

*  The references sources I have checked say to try and keep the remedies away from excessive heat or cold.  (However I had ours stored for a number of years in the desert where they were yearly exposed to temperatures below zero and above 110’ Fahrenheit.  When recovered the remedies worked just fine.)

*  Lastly, if at all possible do not handle your remedies, rather shake the remedy tablets from the bottle into the bottle cap and then toss them from the cap into your mouth.  Never handle the unused remedies that are to stay in the container for future use.

Are there any exceptions to these guidelines?  Yes, to all of them.  For instance, if you’ve just eaten or have just brushed your teeth with a mint flavored toothpaste and then receive a bee sting or you’ve hit your finger with a hammer, ignore the guidelines and take your remedy right away.  Then repeat the remedy as needed.

As side notes:  The reference sources say that there should be no problem taking necessary physician prescribed medications at the same time as you are taking homeopathic remedies.  If you have a concern about this you should consider consulting your physician.  Remember though that most, but not all, in the medical and pharmaceutical professions have been told that homeopathy is nothing more than a placebo and therefore they do not believe in homeopathy; sometimes even strongly advising against the use of them.

My concern has been for those who have purchased a remedy or homeopathic remedy kit and not found success with the remedies because they were without clear instructions on how to take and store those remedies.

Footnote:  My intent is to relay what my research or personal use has shown me.  I am not a medical professional and am not intending to prescribe anything for anyone or as a remedy for any malady.  If you are ill I would suggest you consult a professional.

• Posted

I have had experience with Homeopathy although not for your condition. No medical modality can gaurantee cure but Homeopathy is highly effective and certainly worth a try because it does no harm.

What is crucial is to consult a qualified Homeopathic Doctor. You can contact the UK Homeopathic Association for someone or get in touch with the Integrative Hospital in London which was previously the Homeopathic Hospital. 

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Janet, 

I have used homeopathic remedies successfully for other conditions and have seen others recover from TN with the help of homeopathy. 

I agree with Roslyn that you seek the help of a professional homeopath. Self - treatment is really only for short term acute conditions and even then, you are best having someone with training, experience, and objectivity overseeing your case.  

I would recommend checking out the register of the Society of Homeopaths, who represent the largest group of professional homeopaths in the U.K. (and some outside of the U.K. too). http://www.homeopathy-soh.org/find-a-homeopath

Wishing you all the best in your search! 

Pat 

• Posted

Wishing you all the best, Janet!  

Hope it all goes well.....

Pat 

• Posted

Hi all, I thought I would give you all an update. I have been having acupuncture for 6 weeks now (one session per week) the results have been really good I am currently on half my dosage of mymedication which has been for 3 weeks now, of which I have tried 4 times prior to acupuncture and never been able to get past 1 week beforevdue to the intense pain returning.

The plan is for me to stop taking my medication completely after next week's session in the hope that things stash as good as they are.

I am really happy with the results in have hasdvand my acupuncturist is very good and has said the hope is to be able to manage the pain but is also pleased with results.

I will give as further update after a few more weeks, but fingers crossed it continues to go in the right direction.

I would recommend to anyone suffering that this is worth a try, it may not work for everyone but worth giving a go.

• Posted

Hi Janet .I am currently in remission from trigeminal neuralgia for over a year thanks to acupuncture. Last year I was on Lyrica  and had to wean off due to maybe going crazy.At the same time I started acupuncture 3 times weekly for 6 weeks, then twice Weekly for a month and so on. Even going for acupuncture in the nose(where it was the worst,), was no trouble.All this time I was able to stockpile strong painkillers thanks to a sympathetic doctor. So the pain was gone after 2 months and I continued acupuncture for another 3 months weekly.There is a minute place on the side of my nose which hurts when I wash my face too hard. Otherwise, no zaps, no pain, no Lyrica. and I still have my stockpile! Heaven.!
  • Posted

hi Janet, i'e heard about pure oregano oil and Helichrysum oil, apparantly the Helichrysum oil works immedately.

but im more interested in eslicarbazepine acetate, is that any good?

• Posted

hi, the eslicarbazepine has worked great for me however the doctor does not want me on it any longer as can cause confusion, hence why I have tried the acupuncture. When I first started taking the tablets the first week was a bad but I was warned of this.

Sorry but I cannot seem to view your whole message but if you want any further information let me know.

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.