Have hydrocele surgery next week, any advice?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have the surgery coming up next week with an experienced urologist surgeon under the NHS for a small hydrocele (still does cause significant discomfort when walking and sleeping) any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

39yo here. I would pay six figures right now, just to be able to go to the day of surgery and tell my self not to do it, and try non-invasive sclerotherapy instead or just live with it.

Had two 'successful' surgeries with two different experienced surgeons this year in California, and now I have hydrocele coming back for the third time with crippling pain, beyond just scrotal area. Considering Orchiectomy at this point as my life is a total nightmare (at least in nightmare you get some sleep, I don't). Was very healthy and active before all this.

There is no such thing as routine surgery. They all say so because they do it everyday - so does every car mechanic. Hydrocelectomy is very often NOT a definitive option as it's generally advertised. per many studies I crossed, overall complication rate is about 20%, recurrence 6-10%, but two Urologists told me 15% realistically over longer period of time. then there is scarring and adhesion that's a gamble. I even had some urologists admitting they hate doing this procedure due to various complications. If it's not causing you pain, or really big, think deep before cutting incredibly sensitive area of you body.

if you do proceed, maybe you'll be one of those lucky ones. Ice it extensively on all sides for first 3 days, all around, not just one bag on top. Buy many bags, they freeze up slow and you'll switch every few hrs. Even if you feel good after few days, drink ibuprofen for a full week around the clock as prescribed by doctors to keep the inflammation down. don't do anything more than short walks. drink at least half a gallon of water a day to flush meds and promote healing, eat healthy and green to keep inflammation down. DO NOT strain, do not have ANY sexual activity for a month. they say go slow for two weeks but trust me, it takes longer to properly heal than they say. wear a good jock strap for a month ideally, absolute must for first week. without them tugging and bouncing can irritate and inflame your tissues and scars. Good luck.

• Posted

How are you doing now? I am so sorry to hear about your position, I have just went through the surgery myself and have not many issues so far about from some awkward pain/discomfort when walking about and a small amount of bleeding from incision this morning, but it is still early days for me yet.

• Posted

Good to hear you're in minor pain. My first few weeks were great and easy before complications started, so remember to go easy for 3-4 weeks. Advised two weeks is too soon and bare minimum. Don't strain even if you feel good. You'll stay inflamed in there for quite some time (several weeks) even though outside looks and feels good. Tiny bleeding drops from scabs is normal, could see it for 2-3 weeks. just don't pick them as they can mess up and open your incision. I didn't touch them at all for 4-5 weeks and then they fell off quickly with remaining stitches.

My situation is uncommon and terrible. have tertiary HC and they don't want to do third surgery. I'll be forced to live with this size and pain or force them to do Orchiectomy to get my life back.

• Posted

your situation seems very unusual, my surgeon advised me reaccurencr of the hydrocele itself is very rare due to the sac being folded behind the cord and stitched, however they warned me some fluid could reoccur (seroma, hematoma, hematocele) which sill typically absorb in a number of weeks/months are worst case scenario may need drained/surgically removed. has your condition improved any over 2 weeks, im healing well at the moment however I do have somd swelling back which i was told to expect 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.