Have i contacted genital herpes from oral sex even though I haven't developed a cold sore?

Posted , 12 users are following.

9 days ago (on a Thursday) my partner gave me oral sex with a visible cold sore on her lip. We also kissed for a prolonged period of time. On the Saturday my left inner thigh became quite sensitive to touch. Since then I've developed a bad sore throat and generally feel run down (although I had felt like i could have been going down with something before hand). Since Sunday, I've experienced moderate tingling/burning that has moved around from my hands, inner thigh, backs of legs, knees, forearms, shins and feet. On Wednesday of this week I went to the doctors who prescribed me bacterial antibiotics for the sorethroat. She took my temperature which was fine. I mentioned I had tingling skin but she said it could all be part of feeling unwell. Apart from a reddish scrotum, there are no visible sores or spots in the areas which tingle/burn and this tends to move around during the day. I don't suffer from cold sores but vaguely remember having one about 20 years ago. My question is does this sound like the onset of genital herpes or would have i seen blisters by now (9 days) or developed a cold sore on my lip too? I intend to go back to the docs once my antibiotics have finished but increasingly panicking in the meantime!

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, that's where I got herpes from. It's classed as herpes simplex 1 not 2
    • Posted

So are the symptoms similar to yours? I've read somewhere that outbreaks are less common - what is your experience?
    • Posted

Yeah, my first outbreak was the worst. First year is the worst but break ours are less common and you don't even know you've got a cold sore. My experience is ok, hardy any pain just itchiness and the cold sore lasts between 3-7 days
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience. When you say cold sore do you Mean in the genital region? That's what's confusing me as if I was hsv 1 already wouldn't I have the antibodies to fight it off and if I wasn't then surely i'd have a cold sore on my lips?
    • Posted

They are just called cold sores whether on lips or genitals. My nurse asked if I heard the cold sore virus and was saying she doesn't class it as an sti because you can be born with herpes simplex type 1 and she calls herpes a skin condition smile hope this helped
    • Posted

Yes it has thank you - day 10 and still no visible signs of cold sores but tingling is still moving around my body and feeling run down and tired so heading to docs tomorrow
    • Posted

Sometimes people never have visible signs just symptoms and some people have visible signs but no symptoms. I always know as I itch my right leg has shooting pains and back ache. smile if you're diagnosed don't worry it's not the end of the world smile
    • Posted

Also you have to have a visible cold sore to be diagnosed but mention you think you've contracted herpes
    • Posted

Thank you - your sharing has been really helpful. It's just the tingling still mostly down left side for me but going to go tomorrow anyway as driving me crazy!
    • Posted

Hope you don't mind me asking but did you get a cold sore on your lip at same time or had you suffered from these already?
    • Posted

No worries mate smile it may be nothing to so with herpes but sounds very similar to my symptoms
    • Posted

I haven't ever had a cold sore on my lip just on my genitals but the thing is a cold sore on the lip isn't always on the lip it can be in the mouth which can be a bugger
    • Posted

The human body is weird! You'd have thought if you'd catch a cold sore on your genitals you'd get it in or on your mouth as well at same time! Thanks again!
    • Posted

Yeah it is weird! You'd have thought as well that our body could fight a cold sore lol
    • Posted

Question ive had hsv 1 since a kid rarely any out breaks usually mild lip sore once a year at most i recently performed oral on a man nothing else and about 2 weeks later got a cold sore on my lip now i don't know if its me over thinking things but is it genital herpes or me just freaking out? I got sick with a bad chest cold and congestion followed by sore now im not sure if that was just a trigger to my hsv 1 outbreak please voice opinion
    • Posted

You cannot be born w hsv of any type, unless your mother had genital herpes and passed it to someone during birth. I'm astounded at the ignorance of the medical community in Europe, no wonder the rate of oral herpes to genitals is so much higher in the UK vs the US. Babies born w hsv have a high morbidity rate, will likely suffer deformity and/or other neurological issues. They are not going to present herpes in the manner of how we do, if caught as a child or older from an adult who shares drinks, spoons or kisses w us and spreads it to us. They will have sores on their body. It is jot the same.

Having hsv 1 orally, will not prevent you from getting it on your genitals. You haven't had a cold sore on your lip, because you have already been infected w hsv 1 orally, prior to your partner.

Everything you are describing, are absolutely signs of prodrome from herpes.

Herpes does not always result in sores. I have had anything from redness, to just sensitivity, to itching, to tingling, to just red bumps, to the classic sores. I really don't get sores anymore. I mainly get everything else.

85% of people w genital herpes don't know they have it, because they are asymptomatic or experience such mild symptoms such as yourself, that they confuse it w something else. I experience strange nerve sensations, such as tingling or crawly or pins and needles sensations.

Charlotte... Please spend a week reading extensively on herpes. My biggest pet peeve is false information being disseminated, which is part of the reason herpes continues to be an epidemic.

Worried... She had an active outbreak and you had oral sex and now are experiencing symptoms. First, I don't know why you both would partake in oral sex during an active ob. Second, there is nothing else that causes the symptoms you are experiencing . I will bet money, that in a month or two when your body has time to build antibodies, you come back positive. I know it can be hard to hear and accept and hearing answers that you want to hear, feeds our denial.

Do your research.. Most people don't experience sores and only mild to no symptom's.

Do me a favor and Charlotte, you need to as well. Google asymptomatic herpes.

• Posted

Ive been tested before and know i only had simplex 1 so i was aware of this for long time but now im freaking out because i had oral sex with someone and then i get a lip sore a few weeks after and im not sure if now i have simplex 2 or im worrying too much
    • Posted

You likely only have hsv 1 down there. That's the one problem w hsv 1 if you already have it orally and contract it genitally, it is hard to tell where the location is through a blood test. You may be present w Igm antibodies, which will mean you have a new infection. Keep in mind, like any virus, there are different strains of the same virus... So both hsv 1 and 2 have different strains, some more aggressive than others and they previously thought, this made us immune to other strains of the same simplex, but have learned it does not.
    • Posted

No its not hsv 1 on my genitals its a sore on my lip but again ive had that before and knew about i had it ive been tested many times i had hsv 1 since a kid in just concerned with timing of lip sore again now being 2 weeks after i performed oral on someone my concern is its more than hsv 1 this time on my lip and im driving my self crazy because i rarely get lip sore usually less than once a year or so and then about 2 weeks after an encounter i get a sore? You know its just making me wonder
    • Posted

I think if you're freaking yourself out and over thinking this. Hsv 2 is rarely ever spread to the mouth and if it does, it has been in immunecompromised patients. Not only is it rare w dew recorded cases, it is likely never to breakout and if so maybe once, yo never again and w shedding every 10yrs maybe if that.

It is a coincidence. Stop freaking yourself out

• Posted

How are you doing? I recently got a bj a girl I hadn't seen in a while she seem to be clean it has been about 3 days let me also let you know that I shaved my pubic hair before I got the BJ and it's slowly growing back in in the area of this bump so I could be confusing this as an ingrown hair. I have a little red bump on the shaft of my penis didn't just realize it till today I hope it's just an ingrown hair but can you get hsv-2 from oral sex? Is it more likely to get hsv-2 from sexual contact with the vagina more than the mouth or is it on the same equal playing Ground?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.