Have i contacted genital herpes from oral sex even though I haven't developed a cold sore?

Posted , 12 users are following.

9 days ago (on a Thursday) my partner gave me oral sex with a visible cold sore on her lip. We also kissed for a prolonged period of time. On the Saturday my left inner thigh became quite sensitive to touch. Since then I've developed a bad sore throat and generally feel run down (although I had felt like i could have been going down with something before hand). Since Sunday, I've experienced moderate tingling/burning that has moved around from my hands, inner thigh, backs of legs, knees, forearms, shins and feet. On Wednesday of this week I went to the doctors who prescribed me bacterial antibiotics for the sorethroat. She took my temperature which was fine. I mentioned I had tingling skin but she said it could all be part of feeling unwell. Apart from a reddish scrotum, there are no visible sores or spots in the areas which tingle/burn and this tends to move around during the day. I don't suffer from cold sores but vaguely remember having one about 20 years ago. My question is does this sound like the onset of genital herpes or would have i seen blisters by now (9 days) or developed a cold sore on my lip too? I intend to go back to the docs once my antibiotics have finished but increasingly panicking in the meantime!

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You'll just have to get tested. from my experience i had an infected tonsil the. Noticed some bumps when I shaved. I when to the doctor today, he took a look at my penis and informed me that I had gential herpes. I'm now waiting on my test results. The only way to truly know Is to get tested. You'll just drive yourself crazy otherwise.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I am planning on going back to the docs but - if you don't mind me asking - how was your doctor able to visually diagnose it without any sores etc?
    • Posted

BTW... My swab came back positive, as I had it swabbed w in 48hrs of its presence. My blood test came back negative, as my infection was too new for antibodies to have developed. I went back 3 months later and was tested again and this time, my blood test came back positive. So be prepared for that and for it to be confusing. Make sure they test both for Igm and Igg antibodies
  • Posted

The only way to truly diagnose it is a direct swab of the rash a blood test is only going to tell you that you have been exposed doesn't tell you if that rash is actually herpes. I don't know why blood test's are even done because they just don't really help anyone know what a rash is exactly. 
    • Posted

Thanks. As things stand the only thing close to a rash is my scrotum being redder than usual, though I wouldn't describe it as rash like.
    • Posted

I really don't know why but he told me he is pretty sure I have genital herpes. So I'm preparing for the worst and started taking the medicine prescribed too me.
    • Posted

Your school of thought is outdated, from your diagnosis back in the days when they didn't have blood tests like we do now

.there are different types of blood tests. One that detects your antibody count, Igm being new infections and Igg being older infections.

However, we have tests these days that tell you which simplex it is, because it is testing for the DNA of the virus. Please update yourself on the latest information, as I mentioned, false dissemination of information is infuriating to me, leads to false hope and is part of herpes being at epidemic proportions.

Swabs actually only have a 50% success rate, as you have to have a sore swabbed w in 48hrs of the ob, for there to be enough virus present to test. If you have no sores to swab, you can't be swabbed.

As I mentioned in my other post, 85% of people w genital herpes have no symptoms, to symptoms so mild, they are mistake as something else and have no idea they're infected. Please google asymptomatic herpes, so you can update on medical information from 2015 and not 1985 or 89, whenever you learned you had it.

• Posted

Ive been tested a year ago like i said and i was told it was only simplex one so im confused by what you mean im just asking you your thoughts on is it something i should worry about since the timing of my cold sore on my lip was 2 weeks after encounter ive had cold sores before im just confused on timing and if its possible it can now be hsv 2 and your right im not informed properly which is why im asking opinion before i go to doctors on monday just looking for peace of mind
    • Posted

Joe, I wasn't addressing you on not being informed properly, as you are new to this. If you notice at the top of the post, that it will show who I'm replying to and I'm replying to the people on here, that know they have heroes and are giving you false information.

So I see where your confusion is. You think that hsv 1 is only in the mouth and hsv orally, turns into hsv 2 when on the genitals. That is not the casem. Hsv 1 from the mouth can be transmitted to the genitals and is still hsv 1 on the genitals. Hsv 2, is known as genitsl herpes more, because although possible, it rarely transfers to the mouth. Hsv 1 is easier yo transfer orally, but not from genital to genital. So you likely have Hsv 1 on your genitals now as well as your mouth.

• Posted

You can have your opionon and I can have mine and a blood test is not going to identify a rash it's impossible. HSV 1 has been found in most adults so that is not really a good way to figure out if the rash is actually HSV?  I suggest if anyone here wants real medcial advice see a Medical Doctor. 
    • Posted

The blood test absolutely does identify if you have herpes. Mine is not an opinion, it is medical fact that I can back w sources. That's the difference, yours in an opinion and mine is based on medical literature, not opinion.

If you read everything I put you'd understand and see the medical fact. How do you not know I am not a doctor or currently a resident? The whole point is being anonymous on here and not giving way to your identity.

Hsv 1 of they already have it will not tell where it is, however, a blood test w Igm, will tell if it is a new infection vs Igg, which is an antiovody for older infections. So that absolutely does give an indicator it is hsv 1 on the genitals. If he does not have a sore and it is just a rash, a swab won't work.

• Posted

Herpes is in your nerves not your blood, people who have herpes can still give blood as my friend does, blood tests are more for HIV, herpes is swabbed
    • Posted

Omg.... Wow... Shaking my head. Please go show me the scientific proof behind that, that blood tests are more for HIV. The tests test for antibosies to the herpes virus, which is in your blood. It doesn't matter whether it lives in the nervous system or not, you still develop antibodies to it. The biggest difference for the swab test over the blood test, is to test type specific based on location if the patient already has oral herpes, they can then be sure if it is hsv 1 or 2 on the gejitals and it allows for you to be tested for a newly infected person, ad it takes time for antibodies to build up.

Example: I was swabbed and had a blood test taken 6 days after contact w the infected partner. I experienced symptoms immediately and ulcerated sores 5 days after contact. Swab cane back positive, blood test came back negative. Not enough time for antibodies to build up. I tested again 3 months later and my blood test came back this time, positive for hsv 2.

I think you guys are just responding to respond and actually not fully reading my posts, which I can prove every single one of them.

The point is, he has NO SORES TO SWAB... There is a 50% of a false negative if an ulcerated sore wasn't swabbed w in 48hrs of ulceration. That's the short comings of swabs. Swabs are better, in the event someone already has oral herpes, wince the blood tests doesn't say wherever the infection is located. But like I said, positive antibodies for Igm will tell of a new infection, but they usually only teat for one or the other. igm or Igg.

• Posted

Omg shaking my head? No need to go be like that is there?

Pretty sure if it was in your blood you wouldn't be able to give blood and the nurse wouldn't lie to me. But fair enough smile don't really have the time to 'argue' or 'debate' or whatever you want to call it. smile

• Posted

OK.... This is why I'm shaking my head. I never once disputed it is not in the blood, what IS in the blood, are antibodies to the virus.

You reply to respond, you don't even really read my posts, because if you did, you wouldn't respond back w stuff like this. Please, just spend 5mins doing some research on your own. I just want to make sure that the newbies on here arw not told incorrect information. Listen to understand and not just to reply.

• Posted

I'm saying people should go see a doctor to find out what a single bump is not listen to you and get an absurd over the internet diagnoses which if you are a real doctor is irresponsable to do.  People stress over STD's and it may not be an STD at all you just caused them a lot of pain which could end up for nothing. 
    • Posted

Not once did I diagnose this gentleman, but educate him and most importantly you, w your absurd 1985 level of knowledge and education in it. Is is scary that people such as yourself, lacking any real medical competency are providing any guidance and direction. You actually told him what tests were worthless, based on your 1985 diagnosis, back when they thought you were only contagious when you had signs of an ob. Be ashamed of yourself sir and take some courses.
    • Posted

Quoting what you said  you basically told him he has herpes LOL  The real fact is you seem to be very angry that you yourself had contracted Herpes and you like to lash out at others and tell them they also have it then chastise them for contracting it. You make a absurd claim that, "Nothing else could cause that except herpes" which is an outrageous thing to say to someone that knows nothing about herpes who went to a doctor and who obviously didn't think that person had herpes as they were prescribed antibiotics, but you know more than the doctor this person saw because you’re a famous internet forum doctor who knows everything about herpes. 

"Worried... She had an active outbreak and you had oral sex and now are experiencing symptoms. First, I don't know why you both would partake in oral sex during an active ob. Second, there is nothing else that causes the symptoms you are experiencing . I will bet money, that in a month or two when your body has time to build antibodies, you come back positive. I know it can be hard to hear and accept and hearing answers that you want to hear, feeds our denial."

• Posted

There is no "basically" as you said, which implies YOUR perception, w a diagnosis. There is no question, no words such as: "sounds like", " willing to bet" or "likely" in a statement proclaiming diagnosis. A diagnosis would be: "You have herpes." Period. End of story. Which did not come out of my mouth. Having an opinion is not a diagnosis and I still feel confident and stand by MY OPINION, that is what it is. I've seen it enough and studied it enough to know boo boo. Common sense and logic of anyone (not you included, because that's all that you lack) could put two and two together on this. Active herpes lesion on lips. Recieves oral sex w active herpes lesion. Soon after, experiences paresthesia. conclusion? Sounds like herpes to anyone that knows anything about herpes and lives w it daily.

People seek opinions on what their symptoms are, from others who have herpes and know what it's like. Just like the disclaimer says, this forum is in no way meant to replace medical advice or diagnose conditions. This is the agreement we all acknowledged when signing up, so people are aware of this. Please go learn basic English comprehension, a class you sorely missed. .. Lol... Funny! :-)

Hahahaha! I love how you are making these baseless assumptions about me in hopes of demeaning me, because you feel so small and inferior to me, because you can't back up your 1985 claims and opinions. YOU should not be telling someone not to bother w a blood test and rely on a culture, when you have to have an active lesion w in a 48hr time frame or you get a false negative, when he has no sores!!! So now he could go around after a false negative culture, possibly infected and spreading it, because of what some idiot told him on a forum and now some innocent person is inflicted w a disease forever because of you! Bravo.. Way to go!

Honey boo boo, I've come to grips w my condition quite awhile ago. I'm just not one of those people who stays angry or holds grudges, it is mentally and emotionally exhausting for me. I'm just not wired like that. Other than my primary ob, it hasn't changed a d*mn thing in my life. I live it now the same way, as I did before I got it. I've been through way worse than this.

Please, go search this site. You will see people call me a guardian angel, how much I saved them, helped them, thanked me, have come back and checked on me, because someone needs to look out for me, like I look out for others on here. I take screen shots of some to remember, because if I can provide some sort of support and peace of mind, especially to the young girls on here, then I am happy. I can send them to you or post them on here honey boo boo if you like, then you can continue to sound and look even more stupid than you already do.

I wouldn't wish herpes on my worst enemy. I research herpes almost every day, reading case studies and clinical trials. I hope and want nothing more, than for there to be a preventive vaccine or an effective antiviral, that keeps the viral load no higher than 10000, to prevent transmission during asymptomatic shedding at least. So while I find your hypothetical theory on what I'm doing on here endearing, it is nothing more than child's play sugar.

Yes and that girl had herpes genius. I know you're searching and trying hard to insult me, but you're a non-factor in my life. The proof is in the pudding based on your posts on here... Can't fix stupid. Why are you even on here? You've had herpes since I was 4. People on here are newly dealing w this or w in the last several years. You must not have found anyone to marry you. Hey, the 1980s called and they're asking for their incorrect medical information back. Tootles... You're not worth another thought..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.