Have just been told that I have Osteopenia

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have just been told that I have Osteopenia, my doctor has started me on a high dose of vitamin D and vitamin C. She has also said that I may need to start taking Alendronic Acid if the next DEXA scan shows no improvement. I am not sure that I really understand all of this and what it means. I am 43 years old and possibly going through early menopause which apparently doesn't help. Can anyone explain what I can expect?

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi trishk. It is not generally thought that, with osteopenia, anything more than calcium, Vit D3 andK2 and magnesium is necessary at this stage. Try to get plenty of greens and do weight bearing exercises every day. Sunlight too, if you are in an area where the sun does shine!!! Some people on this site do a fair bit of scaremongering towards newly diagnosed patients. I need to take other medicines because my t-score is -3.5 but I am doing ok. Having already experienced 2 spinal fractures before diagnosis, I dont want to risk another. But, I repeat, at your level, nothing else is necessary. Unless you smoke!! Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Trish

You have a very sensible doctor, many people on this site have told us that their doctor has suggested AA immediately; as your doctor has indicated it is unnecessary at this stage. 

Osteoporosis  is neither an illness nor a disease. Many people get very scared at the thought of having osteoporosis but it is a natural thinning of the bones.  Bone mass normally starts to decrease between 45 and 50 years of age for men and continues at a rate of 0.4% to .75% per year. Females have 3 phases of bone loss- the first phase usually starts between 30 and 35 years of age at a rate of .75% to 1% per year until menopause. The rate of bone loss increases during and after menopause to between 2% and 3% per year. During the final phase, 5 years after menopause, bone loss continues at about 1% per year, however osteoporosis is often diagnosed as a result of a combination of nutritional factors that accelerate calcium loss in the urine, low stores of vitamin D3 and lack of weight-bearing exercises and core body strength. A Dexa scan of -2.5 is considered osteopenia, anything lower is osteoporotic. 

People who are able to exercise and have a high level of physical activitycan often reduce the onset of bone loss. Research has shown that a strength training program can increase the spinal bone mass of postmenopausal women by 9% in just one year. Another study showed that people who participated in high-intensity strength training twice a week for a year were able to increase their bone density by 1%, whereas the women in the non-exercising control group suffered a bone density loss of 1.8% to 2.5%.  Focus on improving your overall strength including balance and co-ordination.

Many contributors to this site have chosen the natural method of treating their osteoporosis and I applaud them.  

I am 73 and certainly don't look upon it as a disease even though I have advanced osteoporosis, (T score of -4.9 , was -5.2 when first diagnosed).   I do have six monthly injections of Prolia (with no side effects luckily) as I am unable to tolerate bisphosphanates.

In addition I was advised as follows:  See an exercise physiologist or personal trainer for good density training exercises,  do 30 minutes resistance exercises per day eg basic squats, opposite arm & leg lifts, back extension, & 30 minutes brisk walking up hills & steps,  do Pilates, balance training helps too.  See a dietician for a widely varied diet of fresh fruit, vegetables, greens and everything else healthy. Cut out sugar, cakes, processed foods & junk food, especially fizzy drinks,  Cut back on milk (contains phosphorous) but include fermented kefir, yoghurt & Gouda or Swiss cheeses for Vitamin K2,   Include a magnesium supplement with the 'green' calcium & Vit D (from Health Food Shops, rather than Discount Chemist/Pharmacy), also take a multi vitamin, and vitamin C . No smoking, limit alcohol. NO STRESS .

Relax and have fun. Take a deep breath every so often. Bone is created and changed as a reaction to the force of muscular tension and the pressure of gravity imposed on it.

Good luck and dont worry!

• Posted

Mary, I have to say, I was so impressed with your post!  You covered every aspect there!  With this regime how has your own bone density scores gone?  Have they improved, stayed the same, or deteriorated but less than they would have done without the regime?
    • Posted

Hi Chris

Thank you for your kind words!  

I was always very aware that having a family history of osteoporosis that I might be at risk but unfortunately my doctor (at the time!) refused to give me a Dexa scan when I was in my forties. I rather stupidly didn't take it any further until I retired and had more time.

I paid for an ankle scan - the rest is history. Osteoporosis diagnosed in hips and spine. Hips -3.5, spine -5.2.  Took bisphosphanates with disastrous results- then Strontium -ok with that but doc took me off it. Now six monthly injections of Denosumab (Prolia) - no nasty side effects. Lots of exercise, vitamins,  minerals and remain positive.  Hips no longer osteoporotic, spine -4.9.  I am in no pain and the only thing I have given up is horse riding .I hardly dare say it but I have never broken a bone. Long may it continue!

• Posted

Hi Mary delighted to hear your hard work and Prolia has had a positive impact on reversing your score. It gives hope to us all. Keep going.
    • Posted

Oh Mary - so sorry to hear what you went through, but SO delighted to hear about the success of the regime you're on, working!!!!  Especially after hearing about the poor lady on here recently who was taking Alendronic Acid only for her bone density to reduce over the 7 years she was taking it.  You are an inspiration to us all!  That exercise helps in so many other ways too.  I thought I couldn't do it because of arthritis but then realised I was, as I then thought, protecting knees, but worse problems were happening because of lack of exercise, so now use the exercise bike and the treadmill daily.  It's probably not nearly enough but much better than nothing, so will hopefully help a bit, and the other problems have disappeared!
    • Posted

Chris, I could not see where to do a personal message. So, sorry to change the subject but I have been trying to cure my lower back similar to your experience there because of help you have been giving me.

I tried the Tens again today. I went to the dentist then I went to the Xmas shop in order to challenge it whilst wearing the Tens!

I had hoped to give you good news but depressingly it is worse if anything!

It was worth a try and thanks with help you gave me with this.

I am back to sitting on the recliner with only short bursts of five minutes to do anything or walk.

I feel very restricted and will go back to the pool on 1 January as it seems to be the only thing I can maintain.

Sad.

• Posted

Kathleen, I'm just so sad this didn't work for you!   It makes me feel very lucky that it worked for me!  I hope you can find something so life isn't such a struggle. I wish I could have helped with the suggestion:-(
    • Posted

Kathleen, click on the lttle letter under Chris's name to send a private message.  Hope you are feeling better today.
  • Posted

I'm impressed with your doctor not dolling out the Alendronic Acid already!  Many do, and the hospital (at least mine did) give a chart as to what stage they think treatment like this is necessary and my doctor had given me AA WAY too quickly but I stopped taking it after 5 weeks because it made me so giddy.  But I'm going via the calcium, magnesium and Vit K route, as well as the Vit D.  If it were me, and my results were the same with the next scan, I'd be absolutely happy and not see that as a need to take medication.  It would only be if my results were significantly worse that I'd even begin to think about it but then it wouldn't be an easy decision!
  • Posted

Trish, start a regimen of calcium, Vitamin D3, magnesium, vitamin K2, as well as a healthy diet of fresh fruit and vegetables, etc.

Research the latest information on the drugs and their side effects and I strongly believe the need to stay away from them. They include all the biphosphonates, prolia, etc. Prolia was given the red light by my oral surgeon. He has operated on many people with jaw necrosis.

Vitamin K2 is being touted as the knight in shining armour for osteoporosis. 

Japan is having their patients take K2 and D3 as the medication for osteoporosis.

Knowledge is power so arm yourself. 

I wish you all the best and make sure you read up on any treatment before agreeing to it!

• Posted

I started on Alendronic Acid when the DEXA scan measure T-2. I also take a high dose of Vit D with calcium. It seems hormone therapy for men has some similar effects to the menopause, the loss of bone density being one. 

Alendronic Acid has given me one incident of heart burn. I always take about 3/4 of a pint of water and I am careful to remain upright whatever I am doing until I have had breakfast. My particular horror from loss of bone density is crumbly spine.That risk motivates me to take the pills. I did check with my dentist early on as there can be problems in the longer term if a tooth extraction becomes necessary.

• Posted

George,

Have you had crumbling spine with a t score reading of only -2?

That is scary if that is the case!

In Australia, no one is given the drugs unless over -2.5, but if you are having issues already then that changes what many of us know now!

All the best!

• Posted

Please, George, if you are taking calcium and D3, add K2 (not K1) to your regimen.  Vitamin K2 is the one that guides calcium into the bones where it belongs.  Without K2 that calcium is likely to be deposited onto the walls of your blood vessels.  It should also help with teeth (I personally sure hope so, but this is all new knowledge to me so have only been taking the K2 for a few weeks). The AA should lead to better bone scans BUT be aware that this is because it inhibits the osteoclasts from breaking down old bone, not because it is helping your body build more new bone.  (Both processes are necessary for healthy bones.) In the long run this leads to more brittle bones which is why the medication can only be taken for a few years.
    • Posted

Thank you. That is helpful. I am likely to be on hormone therapy until August 2017 (3 years in all) Brittle lower spine brings very nasty results. Calcium in the vascular system is not a good idea.
    • Posted

No. Sorry I was not clear. That is my big worry. My spine is fine. It does happen to Prostate Cancer sufferers. There may be a distant connection with radiotherapy. I am not aware of any studies on that. Bad news is generally hidden and that erodes confidence in what one is told ( and what is not).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.